George Samuel Sackett LLD
|Father||George Sackett (1772-1842)|
|Mother||Sophia ___ (-1841)|
In 1841 George was living at The Pryory, Charlton next Woolwich, KentG, and was recorded in the census as George Sackett, a schoolmaster, aged 35 [rounded down] and born not in Kent. His younger brother Thomas, 25 [rounded down] was also at the Pryory as an assistant schoolmaster. Others at the same address were Caroline Fielder, of independent means, aged 50; three female servants; one male servant; and seven pupils.12
In 1851 he was living at Lewisham Road, St Paul's, Deptford, KentG, in the household of his unmarried sister Mary A Sackett, and was recorded as George S Sackett, L.L.D. Author Gen. Literature, married, aged 43 [actually 51] and born in Bermondsey. Also in the household were a 19-year-old female house servant and four visiting children.13,14
George's wife Hannah was recorded in the 1851 census living with her unmarried aunt, Elizabeth Fielder, at Lattingford, Yalding, KentG. Hannah was aged 50, born in Hurstmonceaux, Sussex. Also in the household was Hannah's unmarried sister, Mary Fuggle, 47.15
In 1861 he was living at Heston, MiddlesexG, and was recorded as George Samuel Sackett, fundholder, head of household, married, aged 54 [actually 61] and born in Peckham. Living with him were his second wife Emma, 43, her Scarbrow children by her first marriage, Charlotte, 18, Edmund, 15, and Harry, 11, and George and Emma's children, Emma, 5, and George Burgoyne, aged three. Also living there was Emma's brother, Cornelius Swan L White, 46, a barrister. A schoolboy, Gordon Melhado, 15, born in Jamaica, was visiting. There were five servants: three house servants, a nursemaid, and a page.16
Children of George Samuel Sackett LLD and Emma (Fleming) Scarbrow
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey, "20 October 1799 George Samuel Sackett s. George & Sophia, East Lane, bn. 22 September. Father's occ: waterman."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1893. Sackett, George Samuel, 93. Greenwich."
- Marriage Licence Allegations, Vicar-General's Office (Society of Genealogists), "7 July 1845 George Samuel Sackett, bachelor, 21+, of St George Hanover Square, Middlesex, & Hannah Fuggle, spinster, 21+, of Yalding, Kent, at St George Hanover Square."
- Marriages Register, St George Hanover Square, Middlesex, "8 July 1845, George Samuel Sackett, full age, bachelor, professor of languages, of Regent Street, father: George Sackett, artist; and Hannah Fuggle, full age, spinster, of Yalding, Kent, father: John Fuggle, farmer. Licence. By Charles Wesley. Witnesses: Ralph Dennis, Henry Fuggle, Archd Frank."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1845. Sackett, George Samuel. St George Hanover Square. 1:5."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Website Times of London, Newspaper Archive (http://www.galaxy.bedfordshire.gov.uk/cgi-bin/vlib.sh), 26 June 1846, p. 5, Births. "On the 21st inst. at Yalding, Kent, the wife of Dr. Sackett, of the Priory, Blackheath, of a son, still-born."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1853. Sackett, Hannah, 53. Maidstone. 2a:244."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1855. Sackett, George Samuel. Lewisham. 1d:908."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1855. Scarbrow, Emma. Lewisham. 1d:908."
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, The Pryory, Charlton next Woolwich, Kent
George Sackett, 35, schoolmaster, b. not Kent
Thomas Sackett, 25, assistant schoolmaster, b. not Kent
[also in household were: Caroline Fielder, 50, ind; 3 female servants; 1 male servant; & 7 pupils]
HO107; Piece 481; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Charlton Next Woolwich; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 37; Page: 30; Line: 3; GSU roll: 306874. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, Lewisham Rd., St. Pauls, Deptford, Kent
Mary A. Sackett, head, unmarried, 32, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
George S. Sackett, brother, married, 43, L.L.D. Author Gen. Literature, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Elizabeth Cousens, serv., unmarried, 19, house servant, b. Kent, Deptford
Margaret Davidson, visitor, 11, b. Middlesex, London
James Davidson, visitor, 6, b. Middlesex, London
John Davidson, visitor, 3, b. Middlesex, London
Samuel Everett, visitor, 4, b. Middlesex, Poplar
- Although the ages given in the 1851 do not match, identification of Mary A Sackett and George S Sackett would appear to be correct based on the combination of their being brother and sister and the fact that they were both born in Bermondsey. Both appear to have understated their ages by eight years.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, Lattingford, Yalding, Kent
Elizabeth Fielder, head, unmarried, 78, farmer, 196 ac., empl. 10, b. Kent, Mereworth
Hannah Sackett, niece, married, 50, wife of Dr. Sackett, L.L., b. Sussex, Hurstmonceaux
Mary Fuggle, niece, unmarried, 47, b. Kent, Maidstone.
- 1861 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG 9, piece 773, folio 34, p. 5
George Samuel Sackett, head, married, 54, LLD, fundholder, b. Surrey, Peckham
Emma Sackett, wife, 43, b. Surrey, Newington
Charlotte Cornelia Scarbrow, stepdau, unm, 18, scholar, b. Cape of Good Hope
Edmund Wm Scarbrow, stepson, 15, scholar, b. Middlesex, Camden Town
Harry Ford Scarbrow, stepson, 11, scholar, b. Middlesex, Camden Town
Emma Sackett, dau, 5, b. Kent, Sydenham
George Burgoyne Sackett, son, 3, b. Middlesex, Heston
Cornelius Swan L White, bro-in-law, unm, 46, barrister not in practice, b. Middlesex, Islington
Gordon Melhado, visitor, 15, scholar, b. Jamaica
Jane F..ge, servant, widow, 27, house servant, b. Middlesex, Heston
Jane Moxey, servant, unm, 31, house servant, b. Surrey, Wandsworth
Frances Quail, servant, unm, 26, nursemaid, b. Jamaica
Sarah White, servant, 14, house servant, b. Middlesex, Heston
Harry Holloway, servant, 14, page, b. Middlesex, Cranford.
|Last Edited||27 October 2018|