Homer Skiff Sackett
|Father||Homer Sackett (1801-1871)|
|Mother||Flora Skiff (1808-1859)|
Homer Sackett served from 1862 to 1865 as a Unionist soldier in the American Civil War. He enlisted in the 19th Connecticut Infantry, which subsequently became the 2nd Regiment, Connecticut Heavy Artillery. He was promoted to Sergeant in May 1865.10,11
In 1850 Homer was living in Warren, Litchfield CountyG, and was recorded in the census as Homer S Sackett, aged eleven and born in Connecticut. He was living with his parents Homer and Flora in the household of his grandparents Homer and Sarah.12
Homer was admitted to membership of the Congregational Church of Christ, WarrenG, on 7 May 1899, a few months before his death.4
3940. Homer S. Sackett, 1838–, of Warren, Conn., son of (1528) Homer Sackett and Flora Skipp, was married, on Oct. 3, 1866, to Charrie E. Strong, 1839-1890, daughter of Martin B. Strong and Orra M. Curtiss. In August, 1862, Mr. Sackett enlisted in 19th Conn. Infantry, which subsequently became the 2d Conn. Heavy Artillery. He participated, under Sheridan, in the Shenandoah campaign, and was with the Army of the Potomac in the battles of the Wilderness. At Cold Harbor he was quite severely wounded, but remained in active service, participating in many battles and serving with credit in the final campaign which ended in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox, receiving his final discharge in July, 1865.
6851. Flora A. Sackett, b. Nov. 29, 1870, d. July 4, 1894; m. R. Swift.
6852. Orange Sackett, b. Nov. 30, 1878; m. Lulu V. Johnson.
6853. Evelyn Sackett, b. Dec. 26, 1883; resides at Garbutt, N. Y.
(Src: Find A Grave, Carman DM)
Children of Homer Skiff Sackett and Charrie E Strong
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "3940. Homer S. Sacket, b. Dec. 15, 1838; m. Charrie E. Strong."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com, Church of Christ, Warren, "Sackett, Homer, s. Homer, Jr, bp. Jun 1839. 2:127."
- "Connecticut Deaths and Burials Index, 1650–1934", database, Ancestry.com, "Homer S Sackett, 61, d. 22 Dec 1899, bur. Old Cemetery."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com, Church of Christ, Warren, "Sackett, Homer Skiff, adm. ch. 7 May 1899, on profession; d. 22 Dec 1899, age 61. 5:126-7."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, 51:17, Inscription, Old Cemetery, Warren, Litchfield County, "Sackett, Homer S, 3rd, (Co H 2nd Conn Vols Hvy Arty), died Dec 22, 1899, age 61 yrs, (GAR marker)."
- Inscription "Homer S Sackett 3rd died Dec 22nd 1899 aged 61 years / Member Co H 2nd CVHA." "Charrie E wife of H S Sackett / ... / aged 51 years."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, Danbury Times, 7 Jan 1891, "Sackett, Charrie (Mrs), Warren, died Dec, age 51."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, 51:17, Inscription, Old Cemetery, Warren, Litchfield County, "Sackett, Charrie E, wife of Homer S 3rd, died Dec 26, 1880 [sic: 1890], age 51 yrs."
- Website American Civil War database (National Park Service) (www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/index.html), "Sackett, Homer S, Union, 2nd Regiment, Connecticut Heavy Artillery."
- Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion (Hartford, Conn: Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, 1889), History of the Second Regiment CV Heavy Artillery, 202, Company H, Sergeants, "Sackett, Homer S, of Warren, enlisted Aug 6, '62, mustered Sep 11, '62, Must. Priv. Pro. Corp. Mch 16, '65; Sergt. May 23, '65. Disc. July 7, '65."
- 1850 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, Roll M432_43, p. 85
Warren, Litchfield, Connecticut
Sackett, Homer, 85, m, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Sarah, 81, f, b. CT
Sackett, Homer Jr., 48, m, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Flora, 42, f, b. CT
Sackett, Edward, 14, m, b. CT
Sackett, Homer S., 11, m, b. CT
Sackett, Augustine, 9, m, b. CT
Sackett, Flora J., 3, f, b. CT
Hogan, John, 22, m, laborer, b. IRE
Pratt, James, 21, m, laborer, b. IRE
Kerney, Margaret, 18, f, b. IRE.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American) (#1)|
Line 3a (American) (#2)
Homer Skiff Sackett & Charrie E Strong relationship chart
Descendants of Homer Sackett
|Last Edited||19 Apr 2022|