George William Sackett
|Father||Henry Sackett (1871-1913)|
|Mother||Annie Kelly (1870-1938)|
In 1911 George was living at 40 Janeway Street, BermondseyG, in the household of his parents Henry and Annie, and was recorded in the census as George Sackett, a schoolboy, aged 11 and born in Bermondsey.7
George served in the First World War, enlisting in the 5th Provisional Company, Middlesex Regiment, in Camberwell, LondonG, in 12 September 1917.8
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, George and Mary were living at 42 Harold Estate, Bermondsey, LondonG. George was an electricity meter reader.9
George and Mary and most of their children emigrated to AustraliaG in 1966.10,11
Child of George William Sackett and Mary Kathleen Rackliff
- Leslie Joseph Sackett b. 1929
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
Notes & Citations
- Emails from Rita Sackett to Chris Sackett, December 2004.
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1899. Sackett, George William. Mother: Kelly. St Olave. 1d:222."
- 1939 Register.
- Burials Register, Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney, New South Wales, database, Findmypast, "George William Sackett d. 18 Sep 1982, age 83, [inscription: 'father of James, George, Joan, Leslie, Bryan, Lionel'], Catholic Mortuary 2 & 3, Lawn Section 7 Row 21, plot 1592."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Jun qtr 1924. Sackett, George W. Spouse: Rackliff. St Olave. 1d:343."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Jun qtr 1924. Rackliff, Mary K. Spouse: Sackett. St Olave. 1d:343."
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 40 Janeway Street, Bermondsey, London
Henry Sackett, head, 42, married, dock labourer, unloading cargo, b. Rotherhithe
Annie Sackett, wife, 40, m. 21y, 9 ch, all living, sack mender, contractors, b. Bermondsey
Henry Sackett, son, 20, single, occ: none, b. Rotherhithe
Timothy Sackett, son, 17, sawyer, timber merchants, b. Rotherhithe
Annie Sackett, dau, 15, tin worker, tin maker, b. Rotherhithe
George Sackett, son, 11, school, b. Bermondsey
Joseph Sackett, son, 9, school, b. Bermondsey
John Sackett, son, 7, school, b. Bermondsey
Tom Sackett, son, 5, school, b. Bermondsey, twin
Mary Sackett, dau, 5, school, b. Bermondsey, twin
Annie Legon, boarder, single, tin plate worker, b. Bermondsey
Mary Legon, boarder, single, tin plate worker, b. Bermondsey.
- "British Army WW1 Service Records, 1914–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com, attestation, "George Wm Sackett, of 40 Janeway [form damaged], Berm[ondsey], age 17 y 11 m, electrician's opera[form damaged], single, no previous service, dated 5 Sept 1917.";
letter dated 22 Sep 1931 requesting period served in Middlesex Regt and refers to "Pt George William Sackett, 5th Prov Battn.";
unidentified form [medical disclaimer], "unit 5th Provisional Coy, regt Middlesex, regtl no 105983, Sackett, George William, 40 Janeway St, Jamaica Road, Bermondsey, SE16, age 20, first joined 12/9/17 at Camberwell, medical category or grade in which joined: CI, 'I do not claim to be suffering from a disability due to my military service', examined at Donington Hall, signed G Sackett, 11-10-19, 5th Provisional Company, 5th Batt, Middlesex Regiment.";
protection certificate, "Sackett, George William, regtl no 105983, rank Pt, record office -?-, unit 5 Prov Coy, regt Middlesex, pay office -?-, address for pay 40 Janeway St, Jamaica Rd, Bermondsey, theatre of war or command Chatham?, born 1899, medical category B2, place of rejoining in emergency C Palace, dispersal unit Crystal Palace 14 Oct 1919."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 42 Harold Estate, Bermondsey, London: RG101/0039F/011/28, George W Sackett, b. 25 Aug 1899, married, electrical meter reader collector; RG101/0039F/011/29, Mary K Sackett, b. 12 Jul 1903, married, unpaid domestic duties; & 2 closed records.
- Email from Jane Harnden to Sackett mailing list, May 2013.
- Email from Vincent Sackett to Sackett mailing list, May 2013.
|Last Edited||28 Apr 2019|