Copeland: History of Hampden County, MA

Volume 1

Chapter X, County Organization


The extreme penalty of the law was inflicted on three prisoners in the old county jail; first, Alexander Desmarteau, who was hanged April 26, 1861, for the outrage and murder of an eight year old girl; second, Albert H. Smith, June 27, 1873, for the murder of Charles D. Sackett; and third, Joseph B. Loomis, who was hanged March 8, 1883, for the murder of David Levett while riding with him through the Agawam covered bridge.

Chapter XI, Hampden County Civil List


[Members of the House of Representatives—]1844—Blandford, Leverett Sackett; Brimfield, none; Chester, Hector Campbell; Granville, Henry Clark; Holland, none; Longmeadow, Calvin Burt; Ludlow, Dennis Knowlton; Monson, none; Montgomery, Amos S. Wheeler; Palmer, Gilbert Barber; Russell, Jere W. Bishop; Southwick, Gideon Stiles; Springfield, Harvey Danks; Tolland, none; Wales, Cornelius Miller; Westfield, S. R. B. Lewis, George Sackett; West Springfield, Isaac Roberts, Asa Clark; Wilbraham, Samuel Beebe.

[Members of the House of Representatives—]1845—Blandford, Sharon Bradley; Brimfield, Orson Sherman; Chester, Hector Campbell; Granville, none; Tolland, none; Longmeadow, Jacob Colton, jr.; Ludlow, Artemas H. Whitney; Monson, Samuel Whitney : Montgomery, none; Palmer, Alonzo V. Blanchard; Russell, Frederic Sackett; Southwick, Chandler Holcomb; Springfield, Edmund Freeman; Tolland, none; Wales, none; Westfield, Hiram Harrison, Oliver Moseley; West Springfield, none; Wilbraham, none.


[Members of the House of Representatives—]1848—Blandford, none; Brimfield, Alured Homer; Chester, none; Granville, Carlos Gibbons; Holland, none; Longmeadow, Alford Cooley: Ludlow, Eli M. Smith: Monson, William N. Flynt; Montgomery, none; Palmer, Calvin Torrey : Russell, none; Southwick, Eli L. Morse; Springfield, William Dwight, Timothy W. Carter, Titus Amidon, Joseph D. Decreet, Silas Mosman, jr.; Tolland, Henry A. Bills; Wales, none; Westfield, Israel Sackett, Josiah S. Knowles; West Springfield, none; Wilbraham, John Smith.

Chapter XIX, The Medical Profession


[Homeopathic Medical Society of Western Massachusetts—]The present members of the society who are residents of Hampden county are as follows: … B. Maxwell, of Chicopee Falls : W. F. Harding and A. T. Schoonmaker, of Westfield : J. P. Rand, of Monson; H. R. Sackett, G. H. Smith and Frank A. Woods, of Holyoke; and G. H. Wilkins, of Palmer.


[Reminiscences.—]Dr. H. R. Sackett, a graduate of the New York Homoeopathic Medical college and hospital in 1893, settled in Holyoke in 1894 and now is in active practice there. He is president of the W. M. H. Medical society and a member of the Holyoke Medical association.

Chapter XXI, The Press of Hampden County—Its History and Development


[The Press of Westfield, Westfield Advertiser] In the issue of October 14, 1871, an account was given of the great Chicago fire, the great news event of that year, Westfield, in those days, was more or less lax in some ways, and certain forms of mischief, now effectually kept in check, seem to have prevailed unhampered, the town having very slight police protection. The east side of Park Square was, in the early 70's, still honored by the name of "Rum Row," a name which had been applied to it in the many years of the sale of spirituous liquors. The frequent raids of the state constables into the town, in their quest of liquor illegally sold, were great exciting events of that period, as many will remember. The issue of July 6, 1872, notes the good work being done by the Westfield "Town Improvement Association," wherein mention is made of the new "Boulevard" just opened, now known as Western avenue. November 15, 1872, is noted the first edition of the Westfield Directory, then in press. The murder of Charles D. Sackett by Albert H. Smith, for which the latter was condemned and executed, was a matter of intense local interest in the early 70's. The Normal boarding-house was an important addition to the buildings of the town at that time. The "hard times" of 1873 furnish the theme for many an item for that year. Money was scarce, and the newspaper men felt the effect along with the rest.

Volume 2

Chapter 1, The City of Springfield


The names entered on the lists in 1650 were John Dumbleton, who died in 1702; John Stewart, who died in 1690; Edward Foster, who died at a ripe old age in 1720; Samuel Terry, who died in Enfield in 1731 : Hugh Dudley and Richard Maund. Those credited to the year 1651 were Benjamin Parsons who died in 1689; Nathaniel Pritehard, who lived in the town until after 1691; and John Lamb, who died here in 1690. In 1653 Mr. Hosford, whose given name is not mentioned, and Thomas Bancroft, who died as early as 1684, are first noted on the books. In 1654 there are mentioned George Alexander; Simon Beaman, who died here in 1676; Obadiah MIiller and Abel Wright, the latter of whom died in 1724. Simon Sackett and Thomas Gilbert came in 1655, the former dying in the town in 1659 and the latter in 1662.

Chapter IV, The City of Springfield—Municipal History


Superintendents of Streets—Harvey Chapin, 1857-58; Justin Sackett, 1859-67; John Q. A. Sexton, 1868-73; Michael Roane, 1874-75; Theodore Sprague, 1876; Henry D. Foss, 1877-88; William L. Dickinson, 1889-99; Arthur A. Adams, 1900-1901.

Chapter V, The City of Springfield, The City Parks


There were no further acquisitions of land for the park for several years, and the annual appropriations were used in developing and improving that which had previously come into possession of the city. Between 1884 and 1890 the city fathers appropriated the total sum of $46,300 for park improvements, the greater portion of which was expended in Forest park while the smaller tracts were not in any manner neglected. In 1889 the county contributed $500 to the park fund. To enumerate the multitude of improvements made during this five-year period would require more space than is at our command, and would add little of interest to our narrative. The immediate work of improvement was placed under charge of Justin Sackett, a contractor of Springfield, and in the most admirable and satisfactory manner he performed every duty committed to his care.

Chapter V, The City of Springfield, Cemeteries


Oak Grove Cemetery.—This beautiful location as a place of burial owes its existence to the efforts chiefly of James Kirkham, who succeeded in securing subscriptions to the capital stock ($25,000) with which to make the purchase of land and, in part, to lay out the cemetery lots, avenues and parks. Among the others who were financially interested in the undertaking there may be recalled the names of Daniel B. Wesson, John Olmsted, Orick H. Greenleaf, Ephraim W. Bond, Justin Sackett, James M. Thompson, H. S. Lee, Horace Smith, G. A. Kibbe, N. C. Newell, G. W. Tapley, Wm. H. Haile, Elisha Gunn, O. D. Adams, Gideon Wells, and John Goodrich.
The association was organized in 1881, at a time when the city was in need of another cemetery, and the laying out of the new plot was looked upon in the light of a public enterprise. The lands selected comprised parts of the old Stebbins, Sackett, Adams and Thompson farms, and contained ninety acres of land. The purchase price was $12,249, but far more than that amount in addition was expended in developing the plot under the direction of Justin Sackett.
Oak Grove Cemetery is situated on the old "Bay road." about two miles east of court square. "Its spacious avenues and walks, in straight lines and circles, are of solid gravel, while its aquatic and forestry adornments, in which simplicity and wildness have not been sacrificed to artistic ornamentation, are thoroughly gratifying to the sense and taste." The cemetery was consecrated with impressive ceremonies, in charge of Rev. Samuel G. Buckingham, in October, 1885. The beautiful arch at the Bay street entrance was built in 1883. The present officers of the association are Daniel B. AVesson, president: D. A. Folsom, treasurer; and Jonathan Barnes, clerk. Superintendent, James C. Sackett.

Chapter VIII, Town of Westfield


Judging from the records and traditions, Walter Lee, John Sackett, and George Saxton were the first permanent settlers on the north side of the Westfield river. The site of Mr. Sackett's house is still shown. He is believed to have been the ancestor of those of the name who have since resided in Westfield. Benjamin, the son of George Saxton, who lived for a time on the part of the Northampton and Windsor road running from the present road from Westfield to Springfield, to the hamlet, Little river, was the first child born among the settlers of Westfield. He was born in 1666 and was among the first to give proof by his life in Westfield that it is a place favorable to longevity. He died at the age of eighty-eight.


In 1749, we find David Mosely, Esq., as he named in his commission from George II, appointing him magistrate of Hampshire county, occupying the Moseley house. Like many officers of law and landholders, during the earlier troubles with the mother country, he was known as a tory … His son, also named David, was a staunch patriot, a selectman for several years, serving in other offices also, and chosen in 1775, one of “the Committee of Correspondence and Safety to carry out the Plans of the Provincial Congress appointed by the town.” While serving in the war for independence he was commissioned colonel of the Third regiment of militia in Hampshire county …
Time had made sad inroads on doors and windows "since this old house was new," and about fifty years ago one of the descendants of "Lieut. Moseley from Windsor" made repairs and changes. The huge central chimney, with its wide fireplaces, was taken out and a hall made through the center of the house. The panelled walls were stripped of much of their handiwork and a modern finish substituted. The corner cupboards were removed, windows changed and the decaying doors on the front and east side, with their artistic carvings, curved mouldings and enormous brass knockers, gave place to modern contrivances. Fourteen brides, each bearing the name of Moseley, have been married in the "best room" on the west side of the house, during the more than two hundred years in which the house has passed in the same family from generation to generation. Those born and reared in the Moseley house, joining hands and hearts with others, have built up from time to time new homes, here and elsewhere, far and wide, under the colonial names. Noble, Ingersoll, Root, Sackett, Fowler, Dewey, Taylor and others, as well as the name of Moseley."


Some who have given us an account of the men who set out from Westfield the day after the battle at Lexington say that there were seventy-six men from Westfield, others that there were fifty-three. There were probably fifty-three in the company that marched from Westfield on the 20th of April, the day after the fight at Lexington. Others were delayed a little in Westfield, it seems, and joined the advance division near Boston. The following names are accredited to the first division : Zechariah Bush, Amos Bush, Moses Bush, Lewis Charles, James Culverson, Aaron Chapman, Moses Dewey, Benjamin Dewey, James Derrick, Eliah Dewey, Jonathan Dewey, Stephen Dewey, Moses Gunn, Eli Granger, Daniel Gunn, Warham Gunn, Joseph Kellogg, David King, Agnatius Linus, Bartholomew Noble, Asa Noble, Roger Noble, James Minocks, Azariah Moseley, Asahel Owen, David Piercy, Jared Plumb, Justus Pomerory, William Robinson, David Ross, Martin Root, Jonathan Snell, John Smith, Joshua Senn, Phineas Sexton, Abner Sackett, Israel Sackett, Gideon Shepard, John Shepard, David Taylor, Nathaniel Tremain, Jedediah Taylor, Ruggles Winchell, William Welch, Luther White, Reuben Wharfield, Solomon Williams, Abner Ward.


Selectmen of Westfield 1672—Capt. Cook, Dea. Hanchett, Sergt. Dewey, John Sackett, Joseph Whiting.


Selectmen of Westfield 1836—Lucius Wright, Asa B. Whitman, Geo. W. Noble, Israel Sackett, Thos. Loomis.
1838—Lucius Wright, Israel Sackett, Ashbel Dewey, Chas. Dewey, Orin Cowles.
1842-3—David Moseley, Lewis Fowler, Martin Sackett, Chauncey Pease, Alonzo Allen.
1848-9—Joseph M. Ely, Stephen Harrison, Geo. Sackett, Jas. Noble, Frederick Morgan.


Representatives to the General Court From 1671 to 1876, when Westfield became part of the 10th Representative District.
J. F. Hull, Thos. Dewey, John Ashley, Daniel Bragg, John Moseley, Elisha Parks, Joseph Lyman, Isaac Phelps, James Taylor, John Ingersoll, Ashbel Eager, Jedediah Taylor, Benjamin Hastings, Frederick Fowler, Azariah Moseley, Wm. Blair, James Fowler, David King, Wm. Atwater, Alfred Stearns, Elijah Arnold, Chas. Douglas, David Wright, Aaron Sibley, Matthew Ives, Jesse Farnam, Henry Douglas, Eli B. Hamilton, Henry Fowler, Joseph S. Avery, Elias Calwell, Lewis Fowler, Asahel Bush, Henry Champion, Chauncey Pease, Thos. Loomis, Joseph Hedges, Asa B. Whitman, Lucius Wright, Joseph Arnold, David Moseley, Jonah L. Gross, Norman T. Leonard, Dennis Hedges, Samuel R. B. Lewis, Geo. Sackett, Hiram Harrison, Oliver Moseley, Chauncey Colton, Hiram Fox, Royal Fowler, Hiram A. Beebe, Israel Sackett, Josiah S. Knowles, Daniel D. Erving, Hiram Hull, Geo. H. Moseley, Jas. Noble 2d, James Holland, Luke Bush, Henry Fuller, D. N. Goff, Geo. Green, Addison Gage, Jasper R. Rand, David M. Chase, Lewis R. Norton, Henry J. Bush, Thos. Kneil, Jas. R. Gladwin, Chas. Dickerman, William G. Bates, Samuel Horton, Alexander McKenzie, Reuben Noble, L. B. Walkley.

Chapter X, Town of Blandford


Civil List, Selectmen. … 1842, Olcott Osborn, Leverett Sackett, William C. Clark; 1843, Justin Wilson, Leverett Sackett, Kilbourn Bates; 1844, Justin Wilson, Adam Blair, Edwin Ely; 1845, Adam Blair, Edwin Ely, Kilbourn Bates; 1846, Edwin Ely, Orrin Sage, Justin Knox; 1847, Justin Wilson, F. W. Gibbs, Albert Knox; 1848, George C. Gibbs, John F. Collister, Westley L. Boies; 1849, W. L. Boies, John F. Collister, Thomas S. Chaffe; 1850, T. S. Chaffe, Leverett Sackett, John Parks; 1851, Albert Knox, John Parks, S. A. Bartholomew; 1852, Albert Knox, S. A. Bartholomew, Thomas Herrick; 1853, Thomas Herrick, S. A. Bartholomew, John Cross; 1854, Albert Knox, Leverett Sackett, Curtis Hall; …

Volume 3

Chapter V, Town of West Springfield


Within the limits of the original territory of West Springfield, William Pynchon and his associates planted their colony in 1636. The proprietor himself had visited the locality and selected a site for the house to be occupied by his company. The structure was built by John Cable and John Woodcock, but upon being told by the Indians that the lands were subject to overflow from the river, the colonists removed to the east side and founded their settlement on the site of Springfield. In 1653 the proprietors made an allotment of lands on the west side of the river, and thereafter similar divisions of remaining lands were made until all these rich acres were disposed of. They were not occupied at once, but for many years were cultivated as meadow and pasture lands and also for the production of various crops. Occasionally one of the settlers would establish his domicile here, but the inhabitants were few and much scattered until after the end of King Philip's war. Soon after 1653 the proprietors granted house-lots on the west side, chiefly below Westfield (sometimes called Agawam) river, and several others in the north part, which was then known as the Chicopee plain. Among those to whom house-lots were granted about the time referred to there may be recalled the names of Anthony Dorchester, Francis Pepper, Samuel Terry, Hugh Dumbleton, Miles Morgan, John Stewart, Simon Sackett and Obadiah Miller, some of whom were prominent characters in the early history of the town in later years. Thomas Cooper and Abel Leonard are known to have settled in the Agawam district as early as 1660, and from that year to the time of the division of the lands into ten-acre lots in 1707, the settlers gradually crossed over from the east side and made homes for their families on the rich bottom lands of West Springfield.



Sackett, Harry Robert, M. D.. of Holyoke, was born in Springfield June 25, 1871, and acquired his early education in private schools in that city, the public schools of South Hadley Falls, and was graduated from the Holyoke high school in 1889. His medical education was acquired at the Homeopathic Medical college in New York city, where he graduated May 1. 1893, Dr. Sackett married July 7, 1896, Edith Parsons Hayes, by whom he has one son, George Leslie Sackett, born October 24, 1901. Dr. Sackett's ancestor in America was Simon Sackett, a native of the Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, who sailed from Bristol, December 1, 1630, on the Ship Lion, in company with Roger Williams, and landed at Nantasket roads, off Boston town, February 5, 1631. He located first at Newton (now Cambridge), and the house he erected stood on the north side of what now is Winthrop street. He died in October, 1635, leaving two sons—Simon, then aged five, and John, aged three years.


Grant, Frank, is a native of Westfield, born December 21, 1850, son of Lemuel Grant, who came to Westfield from South Windsor, Conn., about 1843. On the paternal side Mr. Grant is a descendant in the eighth generation of Matthew and Priscilla Grant, who came from England in the ship Mary and John and landed at Nantasket, May 30, 1630. After living in Dorchester five years they removed to Windsor, Conn., in 1633, being members of Rev. John Warham's party—the first "going west" overland in America. Matthew Grant was surveyor and town clerk for many years. He was born October 27, 1601, and died December 16, 1681. On the maternal side Mr. Grant is descended from Joseph Loomis, another early settler of Windsor. Conn., and also is descended from the other well-known families, whose surnames were Root, Moseley, Phelps and Bancroft. May 25, 1875, Frank Grant married Ellen Frances Peebles, youngest daughter of Lyman Peebles and Ursula Sackett. Their children are Robert Lyman Grant, born in Manchester, N. H., January 22, 1879, B. A., Amherst college, 1900, and Raymond Windsor Grant, born in Chester, Mass., September 22, 1884, died in Westfield May 25, 1885. In the activities of business life Mr. Grant has been a prominent figure for more than thirty years; was clerk and teller of the First National bank of Westfield, 1867-70; bookkeeper in Hartford, Conn., and Worchester, Mass., 1870-72; member of the firm of George S. Peck & Co., whip manufacturers, Westfield, 1873-78; treasurer Vitrified Wheel and Emery Co., 1876-78; inventor and manufacturer of the Grant Corundum wheel. Manchester, N. H., and Chester, Mass., 1878-84, being the first to adopt this mineral for exclusive use in wheels; member of the firm of Chapman & Grant, Westfield, whip manufacturers, and secretary-treasurer National Whip Manufacturers' Association, 1885-80; treasurer and manager Bay State Whip Co., 1887-93; patentee of the Grant Vulcanite whip; director United States Whip Co., 1893-98; deacon First Congregational church, 1880-99; treasurer Westfield Atheneum; vice-president American Free Trade league, and secretary-treasurer Grant Family association (Inc.).

Copeland, Alfred M, Editor. "Our County and Its People": A History of Hampden County, Massachusetts. Century Memorial Publishing Company, Boston (1902). Digital image. Internet Archive ( (Researched by Ted Smith).