James W Sackett
|Father||William W Sackett (1765-1833)|
|Mother||Susan Smith (1771-)|
—Weygant, The Sacketts of America
In 1850 James was living in Lumberland, Sullivan County, New York StateG, and was recorded in the census as J W Sacket, a millwright, aged 47 and born in New York. Living with him were hiis wife Nancy, 35, and their children, Laura, 15, William, 14, Susan, 12, James, 10, George, 7, Wesley, 3, and Frances, aged one.3
In 1860 Nancy was living in LumberlandG and was recorded as Nancy Sacket, aged 59. Living with her were her children, James, 26, George, 25, Wesley, 22, Frances, 16, Margaret, 12, and Charles, aged five. This census record must have been the enumerator's, or perhaps a neighbor's, "best guess". It must refer to this family, but the ages are all wrong: Nancy was 45, James 20, George 17, Wesley 13, Frances 12, and "Margaret" was Martha, aged 10.4
802. James W. Sackett, 1803–1887, of Lumberland, Sullivan County, N. Y; Hickory Run, Carbon County, Pa., and Allegan County, Mich., son of (314) William W. and Susan Smith Sackett, was married, July 31, 1834, to Nancy Beers, 1815–1890, daughter of Silas Beers, of Neversink, Sullivan County, N. Y. He was by occupation a surveyor, millwright, lumberman and farmer. Early in life he became an ardent abolitionist and his house in Sullivan County was at one time a station on the so called Under Ground Railway, leading from the South to Canada. He is removal from Sullivan County, N. Y., to Carbon County, was in 1835, and while residing there he built a number of mills for his brother-in-law, Isaac Gould. After remaining in Carbon County a few years he returned to his home in Sullivan County, and for some years held the offices of school director and assessor of his town. His removal to Allegan County, Mich., was in the year 1854. He there build several large mills and served his town as Justice of the Peace and Postmaster. A short time before his death he returned to Pennsylvania, and died and was buried at Wilkes Barre in that State.
2091. William W. Sackett, b. Oct. 25, 1836; m. Anna M. Lentz.
[#2092 was skipped]
2093. Susan E. Sackett, b. Sept. 25, 1838; m. George J. Stanton.
2094. James E. Sackett, b. Sept. 29, 1840; m. Eliza Evans.
2094a. George Oscar Sackett, b. Apr. 2, 1843; m. Eliza Carroll.
2095. Nicholas Fish Sackett, b. July 19, 1846, d. Aug. 6, 1848.
2096. Wesley N. Sackett, b. Sept. 24, 1847, d. Mar. 11, 1864, unmarried.
2097. Frances A. Sackett, b. July 8, 1848, d. Apr. 18, 1870; m. Albert Stanton.
2098. Martha M. Sackett, b. June 22, 1850; m. Rivelo Dunham.
Children of James W Sackett and Nancy Beers
- Laura Jane Sackett b. 3 Jun 1835
- William W Sackett+ b. 25 Oct 1836, d. 16 Dec 1915
- Susan Elisabeth Sackett+ b. 25 Sep 1838
- James E Sackett b. 29 Sep 1840
- George Oscar Sackett b. 2 Apr 1843, d. 31 Mar 1930
- Nicholas Fish Sackett b. 19 Jul 1846, d. 6 Aug 1848
- Wesley N Sackett b. 24 Sep 1847, d. 11 Mar 1864
- Frances A Sackett b. 8 Jul 1848, d. 18 Apr 1870
- Martha M Sackett b. 22 Jun 1850
- Charles Sackett b. c 1855
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M432_603, p. 2
Lumberland, Sullivan, New York
Sacket, J W, 47, m, millwright, b. NY
Sacket, N, 35, f, b. NY
Sacket, L J, 15, f, b. NY
Sacket, William, 14, m, b. NY
Sacket, S E, 12, f, b. PA
Sacket, J E, 10, m, b. NY
Sacket, Geo O, 7, m, b. NY
Sacket, W N, 3, m, b. NY
Sacket, F A, 1, f, b. NY.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_866; Page: 813; Family History Library Film: 803866
Lumberland, Sullivan County, New York, 26 Sep 1860
Sacket, Nancy, 59, b. NY
Sacket, James, 26, labourer, b. NY
Sacket, George, 25, labourer, b. NY
Sacket, Westly, 22, b. NY
Sacket, Francis, 16, f, b. NY
Sacket, Margaret, 12, b. NY
Sacket, Charles, 5, b. NY.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 6363|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||24 Nov 2019|