|Father||Paul Sackett (1767-1805)|
|Mother||Hannah Bloxham (c 1772-1854)|
Samuel was unusual in spelling his surname "Sackette". The apparently affected use of the final "e" was continued by his daughters.
Samuel acquired the Marine Boarding House in Ramsgate in 1819 and continued to run the establishment for most of his life. Advertising his new business in the London Times, he assured "those Ladies and Gentlemen who may honour him with their favours, that he has made arrangements for conducting the Boarding Establishment on a plan which he flatters himself will be found to ensure every degree of domestic comfort and liberal treatment." Families could be "accommodated with private sitting-rooms having good sea views."9 He was at some time the deputy mayor of Ramsgate.10
Samuel was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in Ramsgate, KentG, on 1 May 1804.11
In 1841 Samuel was living at Rose Hill, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Samuel Sackett, a bookseller, aged 45+ and born in Kent. Living with him were his wife Louisa, 45+, and their children, Mary, 11, Annie, 9, and Margaret, aged seven.12
In 1851 he was living at Marine House, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded as Samuel Sackett, proprietor of house, head of household, married, aged 57 and born in Margate. Living with him were his wife Louisa, aged 57 and born in Faversham, their unmarried daughters, Louisa, 24, Mary, 21, Anne, 19, and Margaret, 17, a visitor James Easton (who was later to marry Ann), and one male and two female house servants.13
Samuel's will, made in RamsgateG on 3 September 1849, was proved at Canterbury on 28 June 1856. He left all his estate, real and personal, to his wife Rebecca while she remained a widow, with reversion in equal parts to his four daughters.14 He left all his real and personal estate to his wife during her widowhood, with reversion in equal parts to his four daughters.
In 1861 Samuel's widow Louisa was living at 7 Barrow Hill Terrace, Ashford, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Louisa R Sackett, a fundholder, head of household, aged 67. Living with her was her unmarried daugher Louisa, 34. Also in the household were a male boarder and a female domestic servant.15
Date: 3 September 1849.
Proved: Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 28 June 1856.
Source: Kent Archives Office, KAO PRC 17-113-242.
Testator: Samuel Sackette, bookseller, Marine Library, Sion Hill, Ramsgate, Kent.
Wife Rebecca, all real & personal estate for life, so long as she remains widow. Reversion in equal parts to 4 daughters, Louisa Rebecca, Mary Christina, Anne Devonshire, Margaret Isabella.
Executor: brother-in-law George Brooks Chambers, yeo., Charing, Kent.
Witnesses: William James Jenkins, assistant curate; Daniel Pilcher Fuller, Ramsgate, bookseller.
Children of Samuel Sackette and Louisa Rebecca Chambers
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of William Sackett|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "14 August 1793 Samuel s. Paul & Hannah Sacket, bn 20 July."
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "14 August 1793 Samuel s. Paul & Hannah Sacket, bn. 20 July."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1855. Sackette, Samuel, 62. Thanet. 2a:361."
- Burials Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "31 July 1855 Samuel Sackett, Margate, 62."
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "19 April 1825 Saml. Sackette of St Lawrence, Ramsgate, ba. & Louisa Rebecca Chambers, spin. of Faversham. At Faversham."
- Marriages Register, St Mary of Charity, Faversham, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "30 Apr 1825 Samuel Sackett of St Lawrence, Ramsgate, bachelor, & Louise Rebecca Chambers of this parish, spinster. Both signed. Witnesses: John Holmes, Mary Chambers."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1865. Sackette, Louisa Rebecca, 71. Birmingham. 2a:379."
- The Times, (London), 21 July 1819, p. 1, repeated 22 July, p. 1
14 May 1823, p. 1.
- Website Grace's Guide to British Industrial History (http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/).
- Will of Paul Sackett of Ramsgate, Kent, 1 May 1804, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 21 May 1806 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-103-756).
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, HO107, Piece 469, Book 6, Folio 50, p. 21
Rose Hill, Ramsgate, Kent
Samuel Sackett, 45+, bookseller, b. Kent
Louisa Sackett, 45+, b. Kent
Mary Sackett, 11, b. Kent
Annie Sackett, 9, b. Kent
Margaret Sackett, 7, b. Kent.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1630/f.388v&389
Samuel SACKETT, head, married, 57, proprietor of house, b. Kent, Margate
Louisa R. SACKETT, wife, 57, b. Kent, Faversham
Louisa R. SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 24, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Mary C. SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 21, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Anne D. SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 19, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Margaret J. SACKETT, dau, 17, b. Kent, Ramsgate
James J. EASTON, visitor, unmarried, 20, paper manufacturer, Surrey, London
Ester ANSELL, serv., unmarried, 29, house servant, b. Kent, Eastry
William WESTON[?], serv., unmarried, 18, house servant, b. Kent, Stonar
Susan E. BUCKING[?], serv., unmarried, 19, house servant, b. Devon, All Lands[?].
- Will of Samuel Sackette of Ramsgate, Kent, 3 September 1849, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 28 June 1856 (Kent Archives Office, KAO PRC 17-113-242).
- 1861 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG 9, Piece 512, Folio 170, p. 25, GSU roll 542652
7 Barrow Hill Terrace, Ashford, Kent
Sackett, Louisa R, head, married, 67, fundholder, b. Kent, Faversham
Sackett, Louisa R, dau, unm, 34, governess, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Lake, Evan, boarder, 17, cl (articled), b. Kent, Milton
Sankey, Charlotte, servant, 19, house maid, b. Kent, Brabourne.
|Last Edited||24 September 2019|