Ann Devonshire "Annie" Sackette
|Father||Samuel Sackette (1793-1855)|
|Mother||Louisa Rebecca Chambers (c 1794-1865)|
In 1841 Ann was living at Rose Hill, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of her parents Samuel and Louisa, and was recorded in the census as Annie Sackett, aged nine and born in Kent.7
In 1851 she was living at Marine House, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of her parents Samuel and Louisa, and was recorded as Anne D Sackett, unmarried, aged 19 and born in Ramsgate. Also in the household was a 20-year-old James Easton, later to become Anne's husband.8
In 1861 she was living at 42 Tavistock Square, St Pancras, LondonG, in the household of her husband James, 30, an engineer employing 260 men and 40 boys, and was recorded as Anne D Easton, aged 29. Living with them were their children, Anne, 1 year, and Marion, aged one month. Also in the household was Ann's unmarried sister, Margaret Sackette, 27. There were three servants: a nurse and two general servants.9
In 1871 she was living at 42 Tavistock Square, St Pancras, LondonG, in the household of her husband James, 40, a manufacturing engineer, and was recorded as Anne Devonshire Easton, aged 39 and born in Ramsgate. Living with them were their children, Annie, 11, Marion, 10, Charlotte, 8, and Edith, aged seven. Anne's unmarried sister Louisa, 44, was also in the house. There were also a governess and four household servants: a nurse, cook, and two housemaids.10
In 1881 she was living at 37 Norfolk Square, Paddington, LondonG, in the household of her husband James, 50, a mechanical engineer employing 800 men, and was recorded as Anne D Easton, aged 49. Living with them were their children, Annie, 21, Marion, 20, Charlotte, 18, and Edith aged 17. A Frances E Easton, 47, was visiting. The house was staffed by a governess and six servants: a cook, parlourmaid, lady's maid, two housemaids, and a kitchen maid.11
Ann's husband James left a will which was proved in LondonG on 17 October 1888. His personal estate was valued at £91,409.12
In 1891 Ann was living at 42 Princes Gardens, Knightsbridge, LondonG, and was recorded in the census as Annie D Easton, a widow, head of household, aged 59. She was living on her own means. Living with her were her unmarried daughter Marion, 30, nephew J D Garrett, 22, and grandson Charles C Bracebridge, aged seven. There were six female domestic servants in the household.13
At the date of the 1901 census (31 March), Ann, aged 69, was a visitor in the household of Charlotte Ray at 25 Harmer Street, Milton, KentG.14
In 1911 she was living at Tranquil Corner, Betchworth, SurreyG, and was recorded as Annie Devonshire Easton, a widow, head of household, aged 79. Also in the household was her married daughter Charlotte Mary Farrer, 48. There were two servants: a cook (named Lillie Cook) and a housemaid.15
Ann left a will which was proved on 9 February 1916 by her daughters Annie and Marion. Her estate was valued at £1,443.16
Children of Ann Devonshire "Annie" Sackette and James Easton
|Sackett line||10th great-granddaughter of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St George, Ramsgate (Transcript), "24 February 1832 Ann Devonshire d. Samuel & Louisa Rebecca Sackett, Ramsgate, bookseller."
- Probate record.
- Website England & Wales Death Index, 1837–1915 (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Dec qtr 1915. Easton, Anne D, 83. Reigate. 2a:273."
- Marriages Register, St George, Ramsgate, Kent, "13 June 1855 James Easton, bachelor, full age, engineer, of Dulwich (father James Easton, engineer) & Anne Devonshire Sackette, spinster, of Ramsgate (father Samuel Sackette, householder). By licence. Both signed. Witnesses: Samuel Sackette, L R Sackette, Mary C Sackette, M T Sackette."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1855. Sackett, Anne Devonshire. Thanet."
- Website Grace's Guide to British Industrial History (http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/).
- 1841 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, HO107, Piece 469, Book 6, Folio 50, p. 21
Rose Hill, Ramsgate, Kent
Samuel Sackett, 45+, bookseller, b. Kent
Louisa Sackett, 45+, b. Kent
Mary Sackett, 11, b. Kent
Annie Sackett, 9, b. Kent
Margaret Sackett, 7, b. Kent.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/1630/f.388v&389
Samuel SACKETT, head, married, 57, proprietor of house, b. Kent, Margate
Louisa R. SACKETT, wife, 57, b. Kent, Faversham
Louisa R. SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 24, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Mary C. SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 21, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Anne D. SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 19, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Margaret J. SACKETT, dau, 17, b. Kent, Ramsgate
James J. EASTON, visitor, unmarried, 20, paper manufacturer, Surrey, London
Ester ANSELL, serv., unmarried, 29, house servant, b. Kent, Eastry
William WESTON[?], serv., unmarried, 18, house servant, b. Kent, Stonar
Susan E. BUCKING[?], serv., unmarried, 19, house servant, b. Devon, All Lands[?].
- 1861 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG 9, Piece 103, Folio 51, p. 21, GSU roll 542574
42 Tavistock Sqr, St Pancras, Middlesex
James Easton, head, married, 30, engineer employing 260 men & 40 boys, b. Surrey, St Johns
Anne D Easton, wife, 29, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Anne Louisa Easton, dau, 1, b. Surrey, Streatham
Marion Easton, dau, 1 mo, b. Middlesex, St Pancras
Margaret I Sackette, sister, unm, 27, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Lucy Walters, serv, wid, 50, nurse, b. Norfolk, Harleston
Rose Mackenzie, serv, unm, 34, general serv, b. Middlesex, Cripplegate
Emma Randall, serv, unm, 21, b. Devonshire, Devonport.
- 1871 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG10, Piece 212, Folio 20, p. 33, GSU roll 824596
42 Tavistock Sqre, St Pancras, London
Easton, James, head, 40, manufacturing engineer, b. Lambeth, London
Easton, Anne Devonshire, wife, 39, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Easton, Annie Louisa, dau, 11, scholar, b. Streatham, Surrey
Easton, Marion, dau, 10, scholar, b. St Pancras
Easton, Charlote Mary, dau, 8, scholar, b. St Pancras
Easton, Edith, dau, 7, scholar, b. St Pancras
Sackette, Louisa Rebecca, sister-in-law, 44, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Baigent, Rebecca, servant, 23, nurse, b. Rotherwick, Hampshire
Dace, Margaret Jane, servant, 32, cook, b. Islington, Middlesex
Heat, Mary, servant, 28, housemaid, b. Ashurst, Kent
Gates, Emily, servant, 18, housemaid, b. Canterbury, Kent
Swan, Eleanor Martha, governess, 37, governess, b. Hoxton, Middlesex.
- 1881 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG11, Piece 18, Folio 8, p. 11, GSU roll 1341004
37 Norfolk Sq, Kensington, London
James Easton, head, married, 50, mechanical engineer employing 800 men, b. London, St Johns
Anne D Easton, wife, 49, wife to mech engineer, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Annie L Easton, dau, unm, 21, b. Surrey, Streatham
Marion Easton, dau, unm, 20, b. London, St Pancras
Charlotte M Easton, dau, unm, 18, b. London, St Pancras
Edith Easton, dau, unm, 17, scholar, b. London, St Pancras
Frances E Easton, visitor, unm, 47, b. Dorset, Canford
Julia W M A Dillenberger, governess, unm, 39, governess, b. Germany, Offenbach
Louisa Mead, serv, unm, 32, cook, b. Wilts, Chippenham
Maria Martin, serv, wid, 44, parlourmaid, b. Devon, Lidbury
Harriet Baldock, serv, unm, 33, housemaid, b. Kent, Pluckley
Mary Williams, serv, unm, 24, lady's maid, b. London, St Pancras
Sarah Rymill, serv, wid, 36, housemaid, b. Devon, Exminster
Eliza Milton, serv, unm, 19, kitchenmaid, b. Somerset, Winscombe.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Easton James. Personal Estate £91,409 1s. 7d. 17 October . The Will with four Codicils of James Easton formerly of 37 Norfolk-square Hyde Park but late of 44 Princes-gardens both in the County of Middlesex Civil Engineer who died 28 August 1888 at Westgate-on-Sea in the County of Kent was proved at the Principal Registry by John Easton of 19 Norfolk-crescent Hyde Park M.D. the Brother John Edward Compton Bracebridge of 22 Granville-place in the said County Esquire and Charles Thomas Arnold of 20 Whitehall-place in the said County gentleman the Executors."
- 1891 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG12, Piece 84, Folio 39, p. 71, GSU roll 6095194
44 Princes Gardens, Knightsbridge, London
Annie D Easton, head, widow, 59, living on own means, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Marion Easton, dau, single, 30, living on own means, b. St Pancras, London
J D Garrett, nephew, single, 22, mechanical engineering student, b. Maddeburg, Russia, British subject
Charles C Bracebridge, gson, 7, b. Marylebone
Lizzie Partridge, serv, widow, 58, domestic, b. Bristol, Gloucester
Minnie Barrow, serv, single, 27, b. Olham, Kent
Elizabeth Martin, serv, single, 28, domestic, b. Malling, Kent
Elizabeth Harman, serv, single, 38, domestic, b. Godalming, Surrey
Ellen Barnes, serv, single, 19, b. Westbury, Wilts
Martha Dewing, serv, single, 20, b. Briston, Norfolk.
- 1901 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG13, Piece 711, Folio 42, p. 15
25, Harmer St, Milton, Kent
Charlotte Ray, head, wid, 68, living on own means, b. Kent, Sturry
Annie D Easton, visitor, 69, living on own means, b. Kent, Ramsgate.
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG14, Piece 3196, Schedule 22
Tranquil Corner, Betchworth, Surrey
Annie Devonshire Easton, head, 79, widow, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Annie Maria Thaker, servant, 40, spinster, housemaid, b. Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
Lillie Cook, servant, 24, spinster, cook, b. Ridmore, Berks
Charlotte Mary Farrer, dau, 48, married, m. 20y, 2 ch, both living, b. London.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Easton Annie Devonshire of Tranquil Corner Betchworth Surrey widow died 11 December 1915 Probate London 9 February 1916 to Annie Compton Bracebridge (wife of John Edward Compton Bracebridge) and Marion Fooks (wife of Courtenay Cracroft Spurrell Fooks). Effects £1443 18s. 4d."
|Last Edited||26 Oct 2015|