|Father||Deacon & Captain Justus Sacket (1729/30-1815)|
|Mother||Lydia Newcomb (c 1731-1808)|
Children of Lydia Sackett and Benjamin Carter
30. Benjamin Carter [son of Lieut. Samuel Carter and Martha Buell] b. Warren, Ct., Jan. 8, 1762; d. there July 30, 1853, ae 92; m. (1) Warren, Ct., Jan. 1, 1787, Lydia Sackett, b. Warren, 1768, d. March 20, 1813, ae 45, dau. of Dea. Justus and Lydia (Newcomb) Sackett. He m. (2) Hartford, Ct., Sept. 12, 1814, Mary Wadsworth, b. Hartford, Jan. 25, 1776, d. Warren, Aug. 15, 1845, ae 69, dau. of Gurdon and Mehitable (Wright) Wadsworth.
He lived on the "Flat Rock Corner," (so called), and had a stentorian voice. It is related that he would stand on the flat rock and call to his son, Ward, who lived a quarter of a mile or more away, and tell him to return a borrowed plough, harrow or the like. He was Justice of the Peace many years, and representative from Warren in 1807, 1811, 1814, and 1820. "Squire" Benjamin Carter was one of the first to leave the Congregational church and join the Methodists. There was a split on the temperance question, the Methodists then being opposed to the temperance movement.
Children by first wife:
106. i. Ward, b. Feb. 11, 1788.
107. ii. Ralph, b. Aug. 8, 1790.
108. iii. Benjamin, b. March 15, 1797.
109. iv. Norman, b. Jan. 23, 1802.
Children (Second wife): [3 children].
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "[Sackett], Lydia, d. [Justice & Lyddia], b. Feb. 19, 1768. Kent Vital Records, 1:10."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "659. Lydia Sacket, b. in year 1768, d. in year 1813; m. Benjamin Carter."
- Howard Carter, Genealogy of Descendants of Thomas Carter ... of MA and CT, Norfolk, CT (1909), digital image, Ancestry.com, pp 48–49.
- Find a Grave.
- Gravestone, In Memory of/ Mrs Lydia wife of/ Mr Benjamin Carter/ who died March 20 1813/ Aged 45 years/ Her morning sun that rose devinely bright was quickly shaded by the gloom of night.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Lydia, m. Benjamin Carter, Jan. 1, 1787. Warren Vital Records, 1:29."
|Sackett line||5th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||26 Aug 2022|