|Father||Jonathan Sacket (1727-1777)|
|Mother||Hannah Phelps (1726/27-1803)|
William was named as a beneficiary in his grandmother Ann Filer's will made in Litchfield County, ConnecticutG, in June 1783.6
William Sackett served in the American Revolutionary War as a Sergeant in the 5th Connecticut Regiment of the Continental Army.7
William was listed in the 1820 census as a householder in Aurelius, Cayuga County, New York StateG.8,9,10
At the outbreak of the war of the Revolution [William Sackett] enlisted in the 5th Connecticut Regiment, commanded by Col. Watterbury, and attached to Gen. Wooster's Brigade. He was by occupation a farmer, and settled first at Warren, Conn. In February, 1788, he sold his farm at Warren and removed to Tredford, Vt., where he had purchased a farm, and located some four miles west of the Connecticut River. This farm he in 1801 sold to Judge Buckingham and removed to another a few miles distant on the banks of the Connecticut. In 1805 he disposed of this farm also and migrated with his large family to Aurelius, Cayuga County, N. Y., where he subsequently purchased another farm and built upon it a house, in which he lived until 1832. His son Garry V., and other members of his family became meantime interested in the settlement and building up of a new village, now called Seneca Falls, ten miles to the westward of the Sacket homestead at Aurelius. In 1832 William Sacket removed to the new village, where he had purchased a comfortable cottage, in which he spent his remaining years.
"WAR DEPARTMENT REVOLUTIONARY CLAIM"
"I certify that in conformity with the law of the United States of the 7th June 1832, William Sacket, of the State of New York, who was a private and sergeant in the Revolutionary War, is entitled to receive Sixty three dollars and thirty-three cents per annum, during his natural life, commencing on the 4th of September, in every year.
"Given at the War Office of the United States this thirty-first day of December, one thousand eight hundred and thirty-three.
"Secretary of War.
"Examined and countersigned.
"J. L. Edwards,
"Commissioner of Pensions."
Children of William Sackett and Eunice Beeman
Children of William Sackett and Parthenia Patterson
- Russell Sackett+ b. 12 Mar 1787, d. 15 Jan 1824
- Eunice Sackett+ b. 25 Aug 1788, d. 1847
- Judge Gary V Sackett+ b. 8 Aug 1790, d. 15 Jun 1865
- Jonathan Sackett b. 3 May 1792, d. 20 Jul 1869
- Matilda Sackett b. 2 Apr 1796, d. 22 Nov 1877
- Anna Sackett b. 8 Aug 1798, d. 10 Nov 1881
- Caroline Sackett b. 3 Apr 1801, d. c 1894
- Amanda Sackett b. 18 Nov 1803, d. c 1889
- Fanny Sackett b. 14 Feb 1808
- Hon William Augustus Sackett+ b. 18 Nov 1811, d. 6 Sep 1895
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 645 |
Thurmon King's Database, 2722
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "[Sackett], William, s. [Jonathan Jr. & Hannah], b. Nov. 16, 1753. Kent Vital Records, 1:185."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, William, m. Eunice Beeman, Mar. 9, 1774, by Rev. Peter Starr. Kent Vital Records, 2:42."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Eunice, w. William, d. Mar. 11, 1784. Kent Vital Records, 2:42."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, William, m. Pearthene Paterson, May 30, 1786. Warren Vital Records, 1:115."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "47. Jonathan Sacket, b. Mar. 20, 1696; d. Sept. 1, 1773; m. Ann Filer."
- Website National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (http://dar.org/), "Sackett, William
Rank: Orderly Sergeant
Birth: 11-16-1753, Kent, Hartford Co, Connecticut
Death: 1-20-1841, Seneca Falls, Cayuga Co, New York
Pension Number: S*W26956
Service Source: S*W26956
Service Description: 1) Also Pvt Sgt. Capts. Curtis; 2) Carter, Sackett, Cols. Hinman, Canfield, Hook
Residence: Kent, Litchfield Co, Connecticut
Spouse: 1) Eunice Bowman, 2) Parthena Patterson."
- 1810 US census, database, American Ancestors, "William Sackett, Aurelius, Cayuga County, New York State."
- 1820 US census, database, American Ancestors, "William Sacket, Aurelius, Cayuga County, New York State."
- 1830 US census, database, American Ancestors, "William Sackett, Aurelius, Cayuga County, New York State."
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||14 August 2019|