|Father||Lieutenant Abner Sacket (1751-1808)|
|Mother||Rhoda Kellogg (1753-1798)|
Identification of the Polly Sacket born in 1779 with the marriage record of 1792 is problematic, not least because she was then apparently only twelve years old. However, another candidate for the marriage has not been found. A marriage at that age would have been unusual but not illegal. The marriage record is of an intention to marry, not of the marriage itself, and it may be that the marriage took place some years later. The birth date of 1779 is subject to verification. This is taken from a transcribed rather than an original record, which has not been found. A transcription error is always possible, and she may have been born earlier.
A genealogy, the Tiffanys of America, published in 1901, identifies a Samuel Tiffany who married a Mary Sackett. Census records give Samuel's wife's name variously as Polly (1850), Mary Polly (1855), Mary (1860), and Polly (1865). Her ages at the census dates, 76 in 1850, 82 in 1855, 87 in 1860, and 92 in 1865, are consistent, giving a birth date of about 1773, six years earlier than the Polly of the Westfield birth record.
The Tiffanys of America lists ten children of the marriage, but gives birth dates for only a few of them. These birth dates, which may have helped date the marriage, have not been found elsewhere. The dates that are known are in the 1800s rather than the 1790s, pointing to a marriage date later than 1792.
If this Samuel Tiffany family is correctly identified with Polly the daughter of Abner Sacket, then her birth is more likely to have been in about 1773 than in 1779, meaning a transcription error in that record.
Samuel Tiffany was born on 21 October 1761.7 He died aged 89 in Delaware County, New York StateG, on 21 April 1851.7
In 1850 Polly was living in Hamden, Delaware County, New York StateG, in the household of her husband Samuel Tiffany, 89, and was recorded in the census as Polly Tiffany, aged 76.8
In 1855 she was living in HamdenG in the household of her son Ezekiel, daughter-in-law Nancy, and their family, and was recorded as Mary Polly Tiffany, a widow aged 82. She had lived in Hamden for 50 years.9
In 1860 she was living in HamdenG in the household of her daughter-in-law Lois Tiffany, and was recorded as Mary Tiffany, aged 87.10
In 1865 she was living in HamdenG in the household of her son Ezekiel Tiffany, 56, a farmer, daughter-in-law Nancy, and their family, and was recorded as Polly Tiffany, a widow aged 92.11
Children of Polly Sacket and Samuel Tiffany
- Samuel Tiffany
- Polly Tiffany
- Julia Tiffany
- Hannah Tiffany b. 5 Apr 1804, d. 10 Sep 1860
- Celinda Tiffany b. 2 Dec 1807, d. 5 Mar 1866
- Jefferson Tiffany
- Ezekiel Tiffany b. c 1810
- Emeline Tiffany
- Harry Edwards Tiffany b. 25 Jun 1819, d. 14 Sep 1871
- Olonzo Tiffany
Notes & Citations
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, B:188.
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)", database, American Ancestors, "Sacket, Polley, d. Abner & Rhoda Kellogg, b. Dec. 20, 1779."
- "Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639–1915", database, FamilySearch, "Polley Sacket, b. Westfield, Hampden, 21 Dec 1779, father Abner Sacket, mother Rhoda."
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Marriage Records (Dougherty abstracts)", database, American Ancestors, "Samuel Tiffany of W. and Polly Sacket of W; m. [date blank]."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Samuel Tiffany of Westfield & Polly Sacket of Westfield, marriage intentions published 1 Jan 1792."
- Nelson Otis Tiffany, History and Genealogy of the Tiffanys of America (Buffalo, New York: published by the author, 1901), p162, Samuel Tiffany married Mary Sackett.
- Nelson Otis Tiffany, History and Genealogy of the Tiffanys of America (Buffalo, New York: published by the author, 1901), p162, Samuel Tiffany b. 21 Oct 1761, d. Delaware, NY, 21 Apr 1851.
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 495, p 295a
Hamden, Delaware, New York
Tiffany, Samuel, 89, none, b. CT
Tiffany, Polly, 76, b. CT
Peake, Ira, 24, sawyer, b. NY
Peake, Oliver, 22, sawyer, b. NY.
- 1855 New York state census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Hamden, Delaware, New York
Ezekiel Tiffany, 44, b. Delaware, married, 44y in Hamden, farmer
Nancy Tiffany, 39, wife, b. Delaware, married, 18y in Hamden
Mary Ester Tiffany, 16, child, b. Delaware, 16y in Hamden
Theron A Tiffany, 14, child, b. Delaware, 14y in Hamden
Martha Tiffany, 11, child, b. Delaware, 11y in Hamden
Homer M Tiffany, 8, child, b. Delaware, 8y in Hamden
Harriet Tiffany, 5, child, b. Delaware, 5y in Hamden
Mary Polly Tiffany, 82, mother, b. Mass, wid, 50y in Hamden.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 161, FHL film 803743
Hamden, Delaware, New York
Tiffany, Lois, 40, weaver, real estate $200, personal estate $50, b. RI
Tiffany, Samuel, 17, farm laborer, b. NY
Tiffany, Mary, 87, b. MA.
- 1865 New York state census, digital image, Ancestry.com.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 10161|
|Sackett line||5th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||26 Dec 2021|