|Father||John Sackett of New Haven (early to mid-1620s-1684)|
|Mother||Agnes Tinkham (c 1630-1707)|
On 17 March 1656/57 Jonathan, "almost 2 yeares old', was treated for worms by John Winthrop the younger.11
Jonathan's age (62) upon marriage to Ruth Hotchkiss, suggests the possibility of his having been married previously. According to the Sacketts of America, Jonathan was married to Hannah ___, by whom he had five children: (SoA 74) Jonathan, (75) Richard, (76) Hannah, (77) John, and (78) Joseph. However, no records of a marriage to Hannah nor of the births of these children are found in Barbour's Collection of Vital Records of Connecticut, nor does Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, have this family grouping.
Weygant attributes the marriage of Jonathan Sackett and Ruth Hotchkiss to a supposed younger Jonathan (74). Despite a 33-year age difference, it would appear that the Jonathan of this marriage was the Jonathan Sackett born in 1655. Ruth's second marriage, to Benjamin Dorman in 1728, following the death of Jonathan at the age of 72 in 1727, tends to support this conclusion. It is concluded consequently that there was no such younger Jonathan Sackett.
Of the other children, (76) Hannah appears to be the same as the Hannah baptized in 1694 by John and Mary (Woodin) Sackett, and (77) John the same as (72) John, baptized in 1699 by the same parents. No other record has been found of a Joseph (78). Jonathan's brother Joseph had a son Joseph in 1712 by his wife Sarah Denison. A confusion of the fathers' names, John, Jonathan, and Joseph, may have resulted from misinterpretation of the baptism records.
Identification of the remaining child, (75) Capt Richard Sackett of New York, with parents Jonathan and Hannah, as stated in Sacketts of America, is unconfirmed by other records. Other than Weygant's statement that Richard was of New Haven, no record has been found linking him with this branch of the family.
18. Jonathan Sackett, 1655–__?, of New Haven, Conn., son of (5) John and Agnes Tinkham Sackett, was married to Hannah ___.
75. Richard Sackett, d. in year 1746; m. Margery L. Sleade.
76. Hannah Sackett.
77. John Sackett, m. Hannah Smith.
78. Joseph Sackett.
74. Jonathan Sackett, of New Haven, Conn., son of (18) Jonathan and Hannah ___ Sackett, was married, March 12, 1717, to Ruth Hotchkiss. Of their ten children we have been able to record but one, a
Children of Jonathan Sackett and Ruth Hotchkiss
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "18. Jonathan Sackett, b. June 6, 1655; d. ; m. Hannah."
- Vital Records, New Haven, Connecticut, p11, "Jonathan Sacket the sonn of John Sacket was borne the 6th of June 1655."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Jonathan, s. John, b. June 6, 1655. New Haven Vital Records, 1:17."
- James Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Little, Brown & Company, Boston (1860-62), “SACKET, JOHN, New Haven, m. 20 May 1652, Agnes Tinkham, had John, b. 30 Apr. 1653; Jonathan, 6 June 1655; Mary, 24 Sept. 1657; Joseph, 3 May 1660; Martha, 19 Sept. 1662; and d. 3 Sept. 1684. His wid. d. 1707."
- Donald Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, (Online database. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2008), pp 1583–8, "Jonathan [Sackett], b 6 June 1655 NHV, d 4 Feb 1726/7 æ. 72 NHT1; m 12 Mar 1717/8 NHV—Ruth da. John & Elizabeth (Peck) Hotchkiss, b c. 1688, d 24 Mar 1773 æ. 85 NHC1; she m (2) 11 Dec 1728 NHV—Benjamin Dorman."
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, NEHGS, Boston, vol. 66 (1912): 327, The Hotchkiss Family, "Ruth [Hotchkiss], [d. John Hotchkiss & Elizabeth Peck], b. abt. 1688; d. 24 Mar. 1773; m. (1) 12 Mar. 1718, Jonathan Sackett, b. 6 June 1655, d. 4 Feb. 1727; m. (2) 11 Dec. 1728, Benjamin Dorman, b. 15 Oct. 1673, d. 1748."
- Website Grove Street Cemetery, New Haven, Transcriptions (http://www.grovestreetcemetery.org/), "Sakit, Ionthan—died Feb. 4, 172-?, age 72 yrs."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "74. Jonathan Sackett, m. Ruth Hotchkiss."
- Vital Records, New Haven, Connecticut, 128, "Jonathan Sackett and Ruth Hotchkiss were maried to Each other March 12th 1717/18 by Samll Bishop Justice of Peace."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Jonathan, m. Ruth Hotchkiss, Mar. 12, 1717/18, by Samll Bishop, JP. New Haven Vital Records, 1:225."
- Robert Anderson, Great Migration Newsletter, New England History Genealogical Society, Boston, 9:1, article "Winthrop Medical Journal", New Haven, p. 7, "17 March 1656/7: "Jonathan Sacket almost 2 yeares old 2 gr: ½$: for wormes" [$ represents an apothecary symbol, not a dollar].
|See also||Early American Sacketts timeline|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Sackett line||Son of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Last Edited||23 Mar 2021|