Wilbur Schamber "Bill" Sackett
|Father||Harry Lee Sackett (1888-)|
|Mother||Hildegard Schamber (1887-1965)|
In 1930 Wilbur was living in Inglewood, Los Angeles County, CaliforniaG, in the household of his parents Harry and Hildegard, and was recorded in the census as Wilber S Sackett, aged seven and born in Washington, DC.9
In 1940 he was living at Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, Los Angeles CountyG, in the household of his parents Harry and Hildegard, and was recorded as Wilbur Sackett, aged 17.10
Wilbur completed a World War II draft registration card on 30 June 1942. He was aged 19 and was living at 2488 Lincoln Avenue, Altadena, Los Angeles CountyG, with his parents.11 He enlisted as a Private in the US Army at Fort MacArthur, San Pedro, Los Angeles CountyG, on 1 February 1943. He left the service in the rank of Staff Sergeant.12,13
(Src: Find a Grave, lynette)
Children of Wilbur Schamber "Bill" Sackett and Catherine A "Kaye" Collins
Wilbur (Bill) Sackett passed away at the age of 91 on September 8, 2013.
Bill was born in Washington D.C. on August 29, 1922.
Bill's wife of over 64 years and the love of his life, Kaye Collins Sackett passed away exactly 33 months earlier.
Bill graduated from U.C.L.A. in 1943, and soon after enlisted in the Army. He eventually was a Staff Sergeant stationed at Fort McArthur in San Pedro, where he met and later married Kaye on June 15, 1946. Bill was a CPA and retired from the Internal Revenue Service in 1977 with over 31 years of service. Bill called Pasadena home for more than 70 of his years.
Bill is survived by: his sister Jean Edgar; his three children: sons Bob (Diane) and Rick (Helen), daughter Pam; five grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; three step-great-grandchildren and three step-great-great-grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 10:00 a.m. on September 28, 2013 at Mountain View Mortuary (2400 N. Fair Oaks AV, Pasadena). A reception will follow the service. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Braille Institute, 741 North Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90029 or Glaucoma Research Foundation, 251 Post Street, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94108, can be made.
—Pasadena Star-News, 17 Sep 2013
Sackett, Kaye Collins
November 11, 1923 - December 8, 2010
Kaye Collins Sackett lost her battle with kidney cancer at the age of 87 at her home in Pasadena, California. Kaye was born in Wylie, Texas where she lived until she and her mother moved to California during World War II. Kaye had four brothers, Millard, Dillard, Ed, and A.V.
Kaye was the director of Merryland Preschool from 1967 to 1988. Kaye became a real estate agent and assistant and worked until 2005.
Kaye is survived by her husband, Bill, two sons, Bob and Rick, her daughter, Pam, five grandchildren, and four great grandchildren. Her family attended Holliston Methodist Church in Pasadena where a memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, January 28, 2011. Donations should be made to the City of Hope at www.cityofhope.org or The Convalescent Aid Society at www.cas1.org.
—The Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles, California, 4 Jan 2011, p 17
Notes & Citations
- Thurmon King's database.
- Find a Grave.
- "U.S. Veterans Gravesites" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Wilbur Schamber, Staff Sergeant, US Army, World War II, b. 29 Aug 1922, d. 8 Sep 2013, aged 91, bur. Riverside National Cemetery, 22495 Van Buren Boulevard, section 53a, plot 90."
- "California, County Birth, Marriage, and Death Records, 1849–1980" (Ancestry image), "19 Jun 1946, Unknown, California, Wilbur S Sackett and Katherine A Collins."
- "Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903–1932" (Ancestry image), "Collins, Catherine, b. Wylie, Collin, Texas, 11 Nov 1923, father Lonnie Collins, farmer, b. Collin County, Texas, mother Catherine Baker, b. Collin County, Texas."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Kaye C Sackett, b. Nov 11, 1923, d. Dec 8, 2010, SSN 456-26-9019 issued TX, residence Pasadena, California, 91107, county Los Angeles."
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Page 4A, Enumeration District 1010, FHL microfilm 2339863
Inglewood, Los Angeles County, California
Sackett, Harry L, head, 41, m. at 31, agent, Internal Revne, b. NE, father b. NY, mother b. IN, home rented, $30
Sackett, Hildegard, wife, 42, m. at 32, b. SD, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany
Sackett, Wilber S, son, 7, b. Washington D C, father b. NE, mother b. SD
Sackett, Neoma J, daughter, 4, b. Washington D C, father b. NE, mother b. SD.
- 1940 United States Federal Census
Roll m-t0627-00243, p 3B, ED 19-522
Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, Los Angeles County, California
Sackett, Harry, head, 51, auditor Internal Revenue Treasury, b. NE, home owned, $3500
Sackett, Hildegard, wife, 52, b. SD
Sackett, Wilbur, son, 17, b. Washington, District of Columbia
Sackett, Naomi G, daughter, 14, b. DC.
- "US World War II draft registration cards 1942" (Ancestry image), "Wilbur Schamber Sackett, 2488 Lincoln Ave, Altadena, Los Angeles, California, age 19, b. Washington, DC, 29 Aug 1922, nok H L Sackett, 2488 Lincoln Ave, emp [blank], race white, ht 6' 1", eyes hazel, wt 185, hair brown, complexion light brown. Reg Altadena, Los Angeles, California, 30 Jun 1942."
- "US World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938–1946" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Wilbur S, b. Dist of Columbia, 1922, res Los Angeles, California, educ Grammar school, enlisted Fort MacArthur, San Pedro, California, 1 Feb 1943, rank Private, ht -, wt 138."
- "U.S., World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Wilbur S, enlisted man, 22, admitted Mar 1944, discharged Mar 1944, diagnosis Nasopharyngitis, acute, in line of duty, length of service 1 yr."
|Sackett line||10th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||12 May 2023|