Melvin Howard Sackett
|Father||William John Sackett (1908-1965)|
|Mother||Mary Louise De Mun (1912-)|
Melvin served as a Sergeant in the US Army in Korea and Vietnam. He was aged 14 on enlistment to the National Guard in January 1947 but gave his age as 18. This would appear to have been challenged and, following his fifteenth birthday in August of that year, he revised his age down by two years instead of four, claiming to be 17.3,5,6
Melvin H. Sackett of Halsey Valley
Melvin Howard Sackett, 63, of 207 Hamilton Valley Road, passed away suddenly on Monday, October 23, 1995, at the Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa. He was born on August 14, 1932, in Binghamton, N.Y., one of seven children to Mary Louise DeMunn and the late William John Sackett. Mel attended schools in Binghamton and later joined the U.S. Army and had completed 21 years of service, retiring as a Staff Sgt. On May 10, 1965, in Sayre, Pa., he married Jane (Bensley) Sackett and together they made their home in Halsey Valley. Mel was an avid wood carver and made many fine pieces of furniture for his family. He took great pride in his "Black Foot Indian" heritage, spending many hours enjoying Mother Nature's countryside. His love for his family and friends, through his acts of kindness, will never be forgotten. In addition to his mother, Mary, he is survived by his wife of 30 years, Jane; daughters and sons-in-law, Sonja and J.R. Craft, Linda and Thompson Kithcart, Diana and Harold Kithcart, Margaret Sackett; sons and daughters-in-law, David Bensley, Mark and Brenda Sackett, Michael and Terri Sackett, Daniel and Irene Sackett, and Harold Sackett; his brothers and sisters-in-law, John and Cathy Sackett, Devillo and Cindy Sackett, James and Bertha Sackett; his sister, Juanita Wage; sisters-in-law, Beverly Sackett and Marjorie Sackett; seventeen special grandchildren; a great granddaughter; several nieces, nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by his father in 1964; his brothers, Leon in 1985 and Gerald in 1993.
Funeral services will be held on Friday, October 27, 1995 at 2 p.m. from the Sutfin Funeral Chapel, Main St., Nichols. Interment will follow at the Nichols Cemetery. The family will receive their friends on Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Chapel. The family would like to say thanks to the Halsey Valley and the Tioga Center Emergency Squads for their fast response, care and concern.
—Press and Sun-Bulletin, Binghampton, New York, 25 Oct 1995, page 11.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 48335|
Notes & Citations
- "New York State, Birth Index, 1881–1942", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Melvin H, b. Bing., NY, 14 Aug 1932."
- "U.S. Veterans Gravesites", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Melvin H, SSG US Army, Korea, Vietnam, b. 14 Aug 1932, d. 23 Oct 1995, Nichols Cemetery, NY."
- Website Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com).
- "New York, New York National Guard Service Cards, 1917–1954", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Melvin H, 233 Chenango St, Binghamton, NY, b. Binghamton, 14 Aug 1928, enlisted Co H 1st Infantry, 15 Jan 1947, separated HD (Removal) SO 178 from Co H 108 Inf, 12 Sep 1947."
- "New York, New York National Guard Service Cards, 1917–1954", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Melvin Howard, 5 Gaylord St, Binghamton, NY, b. Binghamton, 14 Aug 1930, service from 26 Oct 1947 to 23 Aug 1948, Co H 108 Inf (3), reason for separation HDconvof Govt, SO 166, grade Pvt."
|Last Edited||29 February 2020|