Louis immigrated to the United States in August 1900, travelling from Liverpool, England, on the SS Rhineland. Lillian immigrated in March 1903. They applied for US citizenship in January 1937 at which time they were living at 750 North Hawthorne Avenue, Hawthorne, Los Angeles County, CaliforniaG.5
In 1910 Louis was living at Washington Street, Newark, Essex County, New JerseyG, and was recorded in the census as Louis Sackett, a millinery salesman, head of household, aged 25 and born in Russia. Living with him was his wife Lillian, aged 25 and also born in Russia. They were both English speaking. They rented their home.6
In 1920 he was living at Stuyvesant Avenue, Irvington, Essex County, New JerseyG, and was recorded as Louis L Sackett, insurance company collector, head of household, aged 43 and born in Russia. He rented his home. Living with him were his wife Lillian, 34, and their children, Benjamin, 8, Alfred, 5, and Robert L, aged one month.7
Children of Louis Sackett and Lillian Dvorkin
Notes & Citations
- Naturalization record.
- Find a Grave.
- "New York City, Marriages, 1600s–1800s" (Ancestry transcript), "20 Feb 1910, at Manhattan, New York, Louis Sackett, 25, single, b. Vilna, Russia, father Lipel Sackett, mother Beckie Sackett; to Lillian Dvorkin, 25, single, b. Vilna, Russia, father Issak Dvorkin, mother Fruma B Sagsen."
- Find a Grave, has b. Vitsebskaya, Belarus, 17 Jun 1887.
- "California, Federal Naturalization Records, 1843–1999" (Ancestry image), "USA Declaration of Intention, District Court of Los Angeles, Louis Sackett, of 750 N Hawthorne Ave, Hawthorne, LA Co, California, junk business, age 54, complexion dark, eyes blue, hair black, ht 5' 6", wt 140, no distinctive marks, race Hebrew, nationality Russian, b. Novoalexandrovsk, Russia, 15 Mar 1882, wife Lillian, m. 20 Feb 1910, at New York City, wife b. Lepel, Russia, 27 Feb 1885, entered US at New York City, Mar 1903, 3 ch: Benjamin, b. 15 May 1911, Newark, NJ, resides Los Angeles; Alfred, b. 5 Aug 1914, Newark, resides Hawthorne, CA; Robert, b. 24 Nov 1919, Newark, resides Hawthorne. Declaration of intention no. 82973 heretofore made 30 Sep 1926 at Supreme Court, Bronx, NY, last foreign res. Novoalexandrovsk, Russia, emigrated from Liverpool, England, for US residence at Philadelphia, PA, under name Louis Sackett, on Aug 1900, on vessel "Rhineland". Sworn at Los Angeles, 14 Jan 1937."
- 1910 United States census
Roll T624_876, p. 1A, Enumeration District 0010, FHL 1374889
Washington St, Newark City, Essex County, NJ, 15 Apr 1910
Sackett, Louis, head, 25, m1, b. Russia (Jewish), immigrated 1901, English speaking, salesman, millinery, own account [overwritten "w"orker], home rented, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Sackett, Lillian, wife, 25, m1, b. Russia (Jewish), immigrated 1908, English speaking, millinery, store, own account, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia.
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_1030, p. 3B, Enumeration District 59, Image 103
Stuyvesant Avenue, Irvington, Essex County, New Jersey, 3 Jan 1920
Sackett, Louis L, head, home rented, 43, married, immigrated 1903, collector, insurance co, b. Russia, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Sackett, Lillian, wife, 34, immigrated 1905, b. Russia, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Sackett, Benjamin, son, 8, b. NJ, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Sackett, Alfred, son, 5, b. NJ, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Sackett, Robert L, 1/12, b. NJ, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia.
|Last Edited||22 Aug 2019|