Margaret Laurence Sackett
|Father||Henry Sackett (1806-1851)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Mary Elgar (1808-1873)|
Margaret, aged four, emigrated with her parents from Thanet, Kent, to New York City, arriving there on the President on 10 June 1836. She returned to Thanet sometime before 1851.4
In 1851 Margaret was living at Elgar House, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Margret Sackett, a scholar, unmarried, aged 18, born at St. Lawrence, and was living in the household of her grandparents, Thomas and Mary Elgar, together with her sister Mary and great-grandmother Mary Bird.5
In 1871 she was living at 2 Hoath Court, Blean, KentG, and was recorded as Margaret Sackette, head of household, unmarried, aged 37, and born in Ramsgate. Also in the household was a male servant, William Anderson, a gardener.6
|Sackett line||7th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Email from Gordon Sackett Adams to Sackett Discussion List, June 2002.
- Baptisms Register, St George, Ramsgate (Transcript), "20 January 1833 Margaret Laurence, d. Henry & Elizabeth Mary Sackett, Ramsgate, tailor."
- "New York Passenger Lists, 1820–1897", digital image, FamilySearch, "Ship President arr. New York, 10 Jun 1836, from London, Henry Sackett, 30, clerk; Elizabeth Sackett, 29; Thomas Sackett, 9; Margaret Sackett, 4; Henry Sackett, 1; Elizabeth Sackett, 7; of England, intended res. America."
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, Elgar House, St. Lawrence, Kent
Thomas Elgar, head, married, 68, builder, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Mary Elgar, wife, 66, b. Kent, Hearne
Mary B. Sackett, g-dau, unmarried, 21, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Margret Sackett, g-dau, unmarried, 18, scholar, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Mary Bird, mother-in-law, widow, 90, b. Kent, Hearne
Jane Tatnell, visitor, unmarried, 63, annuitant, b. Kent, Minster
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/?
2 Hoath Ct, Blean, Kent
Margaret Sackette, head, unm., 37, b. Ramsagte, Kent
William Anderson, serv., married, 40, gardener, b. Blean.
|Last Edited||31 July 2017|