Percy Elzerah Sackett
|Father||Austin Silas Sackett (1849-1923)|
|Mother||Mary Guradine Hicken (1868-1958)|
In 1910 Percy was living in Ashford, Fond du Lac County, WisconsinG, in the household of his parents Austin and Mary, and was recorded in the census as Percy Sackett, aged six and born in Wisconsin.14
In 1920 he was living in AshfordG in the household of his parents Austin and Mary, and was recorded as Percy Sackett, aged 16.15
In 1930 he was living at 13th Street North West, Washington, DCG, and was recorded as Percy Sackett, a teacher in a private school, aged 26.16
Percy completed a World War II draft registration card in about 1942. He was aged 38 and was employed by J D & A B Spreckels in San Francisco. He was living at 36 Avila Road, San Mateo, CaliforniaG, with his wife Dorothea.17
Percy and Dorothea were listed in the Burlingame, San Mateo, City Directory from 1942.18
The marriage of Miss Alice Lucille Weber to Mr. Percy E. Sackett took place yesterday morning at 7:30 o'clock in St. Margaret's Episcopal Church, the Rev. Robert Shores officiating.
Mrs. Louise Todd, a sister of the bride, was her attendant, and Mr. Thomas E. Kissling of Boston was best man. The bride and groom left immediately after the wedding for a two-week honeymoon to be spent in Chicago and in touring a part of the Great Lakes region. They will be at home at 3624 Connecticut avenue after August 25.
The bride is a graduate of Western High School and attended George Washington University for two years. She attended Strayer College and then continued her studies in the evening sessions of the Strayer College of Accountancy. Mrs. Sackett has been prominent in the Girl Scouts, being one of the few Golden Eagle Scouts of America and belonging to Mrs. Hoover's troops.
Mr. Sackett has been an instructor of accounting and economics in Washington for two years. He received the bachelor of business administration degree from the University of Washington and is a member of Beta Alpha Psi, national honorary accounting fraternity. and a Beta Gamma Sigma, a national commercial fraternity. He has taken a great interest In the student activities and has coached both the girls’ and boys’ basket ball teams, producing several very strong quintets.
—Evening Star, Washington, District of Columbia, 2 Aug 1930, p 6.
SACKETT—In Elko, Nevada, December 8, 1955, Percy E. Sackett, beloved husband of Dorothea R. Sackett of Hillsborough, loving father of Jeanne Ann Sackett and Jeffrey A. Sackett, both of Hillsborough, and Mary G. Sackett ot West Bend, Wis., also survlved bv two sisters. A member of Burlingame Lodge No. 400, F. & A. M; Peninsula Bodies Scottish Rite; Islam Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S; Past President of Peninsula Shrine Club.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday, December 13, 1955, at 1 p. m., at the Colonial Mortuary of Crosby-N. Gray & Co., 2 Park Road at Peninsula Ave., Burlingame. under the auspices of Burlingame Lodge No. 400, F. & A. M. Inurnment, Woodlawn Memorial Park.
—The San Francisco Examiner, San Francisco, California, 11 Dec 1955, p 53.
Hillsborough Man Killed in Nevada Snow Accident
Percy Sackett Dies on Road West of Elko
Car Hit Icy Spot and Overturned, Throwing Driver Out.
A prominent bay area certified public accountant, Percy E. Sackett, 52, 457 El Arroyo road, Hillsborough, was killed instantly last night when his car skidded out of control in the midst of a heavy snowstorm near Elko, Nev., overturned and threw him to the pavement.
Associates at Sackett's company, the Percy E. Sackett company at 105 Montgomery street, San Francisco, said he left Hillsborough about 9 a.m. yesterday to drive to Salt Lake City for medical treatment. He had planned to go to Las Vegas on business and had expected to be away about two weeks.
Members of the accounting firm reported that they had contacted Nevada state highway patrol and learned that Sackett, who had planned to spend the night at Elko, had apparently been trying to reach Elko after leaving Reno when he became trapped in the midst of the storm, during which 10 inches of snow fell.
Although there were no witnesses to the accident, officers theorized Sackett's car hit an icy spot on the pavement, skidded around and overturned several times, throwing him out. He apparently was killed instantly when his head hit the pavement.
Other motorists found the wreckage and Sackett's body when they came upon the scene.
Before moving to the bay area about 10 years ago, Sackett practiced in Washington, D.C., where he was also registrar for Stroyer college.
A director of several large corporations, Sackett was a leading income tax expert and held accounts with many large concerns.
A Phi Beta Kappa, he was a graduate of University of Washington at Seattle.
Active in Masonic work, Sackett was a member of Burlingame lodge No. 400, F. & A. M; the Islam Shrine in San Francisco and the Royal Order of Jesters. He was a past president of the Islam Shrine club of San Mateo.
Other organizations of which he was a member included Lodge No. 1112, B.P.O.E. of San Mateo; the Press and Union League club of San Francisco and the Accountants association of San Francisco.
Survivors include his widow, Dorothea, and two children, Jeanne Anne, 15, and Geoffrey A. Sackett, 13.
Funeral services are pending the arrival of his body Sunday at Crosby-N. Gray chapel in Burlingame.
—The Times, San Mateo, California, 9 Dec 1955, p 1
Crash Fatal To Accountant
Elko.—Percy E. Sackett, 52, San Francisco certified public accountant, was killed on Emigrant pass in Eureka county 35 miles west of here Thursday night when the car in which he was riding alone went out of control and he was thrown from the vehicle.
Apparently on his way to Salt Lake City on business the accident occurred when a tire blew out between 6:30 and 7 p.m. Thursday, a Nevada highway patrolman reported.
The automobile swerved across the highway, struck a cliff and sprung the door open. Mr. Sackett was hurled through the open door against the rocks, fracturing his skull and breaking his neck.
A passing motorist notified the highway patrol.
The accident was the first Nevada highway fatality of December. Mr. Sackett's death brought the Nevada road toll to 165 for 1955, nine above the total for the previous record year of 1953.
—Reno Gazette-Journal, Reno, Nevada, 9 Dec 1955, p 15
Carlin, Dec 9. (U.P.)—A San Mateo, Calif., businessman on his way to Salt Lake City became the first person to die in a highway accident in Nevada this month.
Percy E. Sackett, 52, was fatally injured about 5 p.m. Thursday when his car in which he was traveling alone went out of control on an icy stretch of highway 40 about 13 miles west of here.
He was thrown from the car and slammed head first into a rock cliff. He was dead on arrival at Elko General Hospital.
His death brought Nevada's fatality toll for 1955 to 165 and that of Eureka county to four.
—Nevada State Journal, Reno, Nevada, 10 Dec 1955, p 2.
Notes & Citations
- "Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1801–1928", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, male, b. Campbellsport, WI, 23 Nov 1903, father Austin Sackett, mother Hicken."
- "Nevada, U.S., Death Certificates, 1911–1965", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Percy Elzerah, d. 13 miles West Hwy 40, Rural of Carlin, Elko County, Nevada, 8 Dec 1955, res. 457 El Arroyo Rd, San Mateo, CA, married, b. Campbellsport, WI, 23 Nov 1903, age 52, accountant, father Austin Sackett, mother's maiden name unknown, informant Dorothea Sackett, cause accidental death due to injuries received in auto accident, removal, 10 Dec 1955, to San Mateo."
- Website Find A Grave.
- "Washington, D.C., U.S., Marriage Records, 1810–1953", database, Ancestry.com, "DC, 1 Aug 1930, Percy E Sackett, 26, & Alice Lucille Weber, 21."
- "Maryland, U.S., Births and Christenings Index, 1662-1911", database, Ancestry.com, "Weber, Alice Lucile, b. Hagerstown, Washington, MD, 20 Mar 1909, bp. St Paul's Methodist Episcopal, Hagerstown, 18 Jul 1909, father William Weber, mother Alice."
- "New York State, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1917–1967", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Bailey, Alice W, 1306 Ridgecrest Drive, Alexandria, Va, b. Hogerstown [sic], Md, 20 Mar 1909."
- "Social Security Death Index", database, Ancestry.com, "Alice W. Bailey, b. 20 Mar 1909, d. 5 Nov 2001, SSN 577-07-3254 issued DC, residence 22311, Alexandria, Alexandria City, Virginia."
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007", database, Ancestry.com, "Bailey, Alice W, b. 20 Mar 1909, d. 5 Nov 2001, claim date 3 Jan 1974."
- "West Virginia, Marriages Index, 1785–1971", database, Ancestry.com, "Jefferson, West Virginia, 1936, Percy Elzerak [sic] Sackett & Dorothea Esther Mary Ross."
- "Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1801–1928", database, Ancestry.com, "Russ, Dorothea Esther, b. Port Washington, Ozaukee, Wisconsin, 7 May 1904, father Paul Russ, mother Rosa Greiveldinger."
- "Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1801–1928", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Dorothea Russ, b. Wisconsin, 7 May 1904, d. Contra Costa, 13 Oct 1991, father Russ, mother Greiveldinger."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index", database, American Ancestors, "Dorothea R Sackett, b. May 7, 1904, d. Oct 13, 1991, SSN 560-64-3952 issued CA, residence unknown."
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Dorothea R, b. 7 May 1904, d. 13 Oct 1991, claim date 1 Apr 1969."
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T624_1712, p 7A, Enumeration District 0040, FHL microfilm 1375725
Ashford, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, 11 May 1910
Sackett, Austin, head, 39, m1. 9y, flag man, rail road, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI, home owned
Sackett, Mary, wife, 40, m1. 9y, 4 ch, all living, b. WI, father b. Germany, mother b. NY
Sackett, Pearl, daughter, 8, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI
Sackett, Floyd, daughter [sic], 7, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI
Sackett, Percy, son, 6, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI
Sackett, Ruth, daughter, 3, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI
Sackett, Raymond, son, 1, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI.
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T625_1987, p 11B, Enumeration District 20
Ashford, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sackett, Aston, head, 70, flagman, railroad, b. WI, father b. USA, mother b. USA, home owned
Sackett, Mary, wife, 49, b. WI, father b. Luxembourg, mother b. NJ
Sackett, Floyd, son, 17, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI
Sackett, Percy, son, 16, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI
Sackett, Rose, daughter, 13, b. WI, father b. WI, mother b. WI.
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 13B, Enumeration District 0015, FHL microfilm 2340027
13th Street North West, Washington, District of Columbia
Sackett, Percy, lodger, 26, teacher, private school, b. WI, father b. IA, mother b. IA.
[In household of Alexander Stewart, a US government clerk]
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Percy Elzerah Sackett, 36 Avila Rd, San Mateo, San Mateo County, California, age 38, b. Campbellsport, Wisconsin, 23 Nov 1903, nok Dorothea Sackett, 36 Avila Rd, emp J D and A B Spreckels, 2 Pine St, San Francisco, race white, ht 5' 9", eyes blue, wt 165, hair blonde, complexion light. Reg San Mateo, San Mateo, California, undated."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, Burlingame, San Mateo, California, City Directory, 1942, 1943, "Sackett Percy E (Dorothea) tax acct h 36 Avila way, S M."; 1944, "Sackett Percy E (Dorothea) h 457 El Arroyo (Hillsboro) San Mateo P O."; 1945, "Sackett Percy E Mrs h 457 El Arroyo (Hillsboro) S M P O."; 1946, "Sackett Percy E Mrs h 457 El Arroyo rd (Hillsborough)."; 1947, "Sackett Percy E Mrs h 457 El Arroyo rd (Hillsborough) S M P O."; 1948, "Sackett Percy E Mrs h 457 El Arroyo (Hillsboro) San Mateo P O."; 1949, "Sackett Percy E h 457 El Arroyo rd (Hillsboro) S M P O."; 1951, "Sackett Percy E Mrs h457 El Arroyo rd (Hillsboro) SMPO."; 1952, "Sackett Percy E h457 El Arroyo rd (Hillsboro) SMPO."; 1953, "Sackett Percy E h457 El Arroyo rd, Hillsboro (SMPO)."; 1954, "Sackett Percy E Mrs h457 El Arroyo rd, Hillsboro (SMPO)."
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 22643|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||18 Feb 2021|