Alfred Arthur Sackett
|Father||John Kemp Sackett (1839-1880)|
|Mother||Mary Ann Doe (1847-1912)|
In 1881 Alfred was living at 1 Park Place, Stratford, West Ham, EssexG, in the household of his widowed mother Mary, and was recorded in the census as Alfred Sackett, a scholar, aged seven and born in Stratford, Essex.8
In 1891 he was living at Cambridge Barrack, Woolwich Dockyard, London, and was recorded as Alfred Arthur Sackett, a drummer in the First Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, single, aged 18 and born in West Ham, Essex.9
In 1911 Alfred's wife Louisa was living at 98 Lawrence Avenue, Manor Park, East Ham, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Louisa Sackett, a laundry worker, aged 31 and born in Camberwell. Living with her were their children, Alfred, 3, and Henry Charles, aged one.10
Alfred served in the British Army during the First World War, enlisting in the 6th Dragoons on 16 August 1915. He was discharged on 7 December 1915, having been irregularly enlisted. He was issued a Silver War Badge on 23 November 1917 in recognition of his having been honourably discharged.11,12,13
In 1921 Alfred was living at 54 Parkhurst Road, East Ham, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Alfred Sackett, a messenger at the Disposals & Liquidation Commission, Westminster, head of household, aged 47. Living with him were his wife Louisa, 42, and their children, Charles, 11, and Rita, aged eight.14
Children of Alfred Arthur Sackett and Jane Louisa Townshend
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1874. Sackett, Alfred Arthur. Mother: Doe. W. Ham. 4a:18."
- "Essex Baptisms" (Findmypast transcript), Baptisms Register, Stratford, Christ Church, Essex, "1 Mar 1874, Alfred Arthur Sackett, b. 15 Jan 1874, father John Sackett, labourer, mother Mary, of 7 Park Place."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1926. Sackett, Alfred A, 52. W Ham."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1905. Sackett, Alfred Arthur. W Ham. 4a:136."
- Marriages Register, St Mary the Virgin, Little Ilford, Essex (Essex Record Office, Chelmsford), "2 July 1905, Alfred Arthur Sackett, 29, bachelor, carman, of 161 Sheringham Avenue, father: John Sackett (deceased), chemical mechanic; and Jane Louisa Townshend, 25, spinster, of 161 Sheringham Avenue, father: William Townshend, shoemaker. Banns. Both signed. Witnesses: Florence Ada Townshend, Henry William Dae."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1879. Townshend, Jane Louisa. Mother: Barnes. Camberwell. 1d:900."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1944. Sackett, Jane L, 64. E Ham."
- 1881 England census
RG11, piece 1703, folio 90, p. 11, GSU roll 1341406
1 Park Place, Stratford, West Ham, Essex
Mary Sackett, head, wid, 34, laundress, b. Essex, Havering
Sarah M Sackett, dau, 14, jute spinner, b. Middlesex, Bu?dell Rd
Mary Jane Sackett, dau, 13, jute shifter, b. Middlesex, Bu?dell Rd
Thomas Sackett, son, 9, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Alfred Sackett, son, 7, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Emily E Sackett, dau, 5, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Ellen Sackett, dau, 3, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford.
- 1891 England census
RG12, piece 531, folio 135, p. 31, GSU roll 6095641
Cambridge Barrack, Woolwich Dockyard, London
Alfred Arthur Sackett, single, 18, drummer, 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, b. Essex, West Ham.
- 1911 England census
RG14, piece 9583, schedule 57
98 Lawrence Avenue, Manor Park, East Ham, Essex
Louisa Sackett, wife, 31, m. 6y, 2 ch, both living, laundry work, b. Camberwell
Alfred Arthur Sackett, son, 3, b. Winwick, Lancashire
Henrie Charles Sackett, son, 1, b. East Ham.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards" (Findmypast transcript).
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Alfred Arthur, 6th Dragoons, service no. 21269, Private, enlisted 16 Aug 1915, discharged 7 Dec 1915, cause Para 2D [having been irregularly enlisted]. WO372/17."
- "Silver War Badge Roll, 1914–1920" (Findmypast image), "Sackett, Alfd Arthur, rank Private, no. 21269, 6th Dns, enlisted 16 Aug 1915, discharged 7 Dec 1915, age on discharge 40, cause Army Order II dated 10/08/1917. (d), served overseas No, badge no. 271423, issued 23 Nov 1917."
- 1921 England census
54 Parkhurst Road, East Ham, Essex, London
Alfred Sackett, head, 47y 8m, married, b. Stratford, London, messenger, Disposals & Liquidation Commission, Tothill Street, Westminster
Louisa Sackett, wife, 42y 10m, married, b. Peckham, London, home duties
Charles Sackett, son, 11y 5m, b. Manor Park, London
Rita Sackett, daughter, 8y 6m, b. Manor Park, London.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||14 Sep 2023|