Alfred Arthur Sackett
|Father||John Kemp Sackett (1839-1880)|
|Mother||Mary Ann Doe (1847-1912)|
In 1881 Alfred was living at 1 Park Place, Stratford, West Ham, EssexG, in the household of his widowed mother Mary, and was recorded in the census as Alfred Sackett, a scholar, aged seven and born in Stratford, Essex.7
In 1891 he was living at Cambridge Barrack, Woolwich Dockyard, London, and was recorded as Alfred Arthur Sackett, a drummer in the First Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, single, aged 18 and born in West Ham, Essex.8
In 1911 Alfred's wife Louisa was living at 98 Lawrence Avenue, Manor Park, East Ham, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Louisa Sackett, a laundry worker, aged 31 and born in Camberwell. Living with her were their children, Alfred, 3, and Henry Charles, aged one.9
Alfred served in the British Army during the First World War, enlisting in the 6th Dragoons on 16 August 1915. He was discharged on 7 December 1915, having been irregularly enlisted.10,11
Children of Alfred Arthur Sackett and Jane Louisa Townshend
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1874. Sackett, Alfred Arthur. Mother: Doe. W. Ham. 4a:18."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1926. Sackett, Alfred A, 52. W Ham."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1905. Sackett, Alfred Arthur. W Ham. 4a:136."
- Marriages Register, St Mary the Virgin, Little Ilford, Essex (Essex Record Office, Chelmsford), "2 July 1905, Alfred Arthur Sackett, 29, bachelor, carman, of 161 Sheringham Avenue, father: John Sackett (deceased), chemical mechanic; and Jane Louisa Townshend, 25, spinster, of 161 Sheringham Avenue, father: William Townshend, shoemaker. Banns. Both signed. Witnesses: Florence Ada Townshend, Henry William Dae."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1879. Townshend, Jane Louisa. Mother: Barnes. Camberwell. 1d:900."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1944. Sackett, Jane L, 64. E Ham."
- 1881 England census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, RG11, piece 1703, folio 90, p. 11, GSU roll 1341406
1 Park Place, Stratford, West Ham, Essex
Mary Sackett, head, wid, 34, laundress, b. Essex, Havering
Sarah M Sackett, dau, 14, jute spinner, b. Middlesex, Bu?dell Rd
Mary Jane Sackett, dau, 13, jute shifter, b. Middlesex, Bu?dell Rd
Thomas Sackett, son, 9, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Alfred Sackett, son, 7, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Emily E Sackett, dau, 5, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Ellen Sackett, dau, 3, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford.
- 1891 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG12, piece 531, folio 135, p. 31, GSU roll 6095641
Cambridge Barrack, Woolwich Dockyard, London
Alfred Arthur Sackett, single, 18, drummer, 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, b. Essex, West Ham.
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 9583, schedule 57
98 Lawrence Avenue, Manor Park, East Ham, Essex
Louisa Sackett, wife, 31, m. 6y, 2 ch, both living, laundry work, b. Camberwell
Alfred Arthur Sackett, son, 3, b. Winwick, Lancashire
Henrie Charles Sackett, son, 1, b. East Ham.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Alfred Arthur, 6th Dragoons, service no. 21269, Private, enlisted 16 Aug 1915, discharged 7 Dec 1915, cause Para 2D [having been irregularly enlisted]. WO372/17."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||24 Jun 2020|