|Mother||Elizabeth Sackett (1865-1893)|
Cecil's mother died soon after his birth and he was brought up by his grandparents.
In 1901 Cecil was living at 8 Canon Flowers Cottages, WorthG, in the household of his grandparents John and Maria Sackett, and was recorded in the census as Cecil Sackett, aged seven and born in Worth.12
Cecil served in the Royal Navy from 20 June 1910 until after 1 January 1928, when he was promoted to acting officers' chief steward. He served on at least fifteen ships and was the personal servant to Admiral Cyril Townsend, head of the British naval mission to Greece in 1925, and was chief steward to Rear Admiral CP Beaty-Pownall, admiral-superintendent of Chatham Dockyard.13
In 1911 he was living at the Royal Naval Barracks, Chatham, KentG, and was recorded as Cecil Sackett, a boy servant, aged 17.14
In 1921 May was living at 4 Albany Cottage, Mill Road, Deal, KentG, and was listed in the census as May Georgina Edith Sackett, aged 30. Cecil was presumably away on Royal Navy duties at the date of the census.15
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Cecil's wife May and their daughter Sheila were living at Vachery Lodge, Guildford, SurreyG.16
Child of Cecil Sackett and May Georgina Edith Harding
- Sheila E H Sackett b. 11 Jan 1924
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1893. Sackett, Cecil. [Mother not named: assume registered in mother's surname.] Eastry. 2a:946."
- "Ss Peter & Paul, Worth, Kent, Baptisms Register" (Findmypast image), "7 May 1893, Cecil, s. Elizabeth Sackett, of Worth, single woman."
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006" (Findmypast transcript), "Mar qtr 1975. Sackett, Cecil, b. 28 Apr 1893. Ludlow. 30:0687S."
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "7 May 1919 Cecil Sackett, bachelor, of Sandyus, Bermuda, & May G E Harding, spinster, of St Leonard's, Deal. At same church."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1919. Sackett, Cecil. Spouse: Harding. Eastry. 2a:3058."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1919. Harding, May G E. Spouse: Sackett. Eastry. 2a:3058."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index" (Ancestry image), "Jun qtr 1891. Harding, May Georgina E. Eastry. 2a:974."
- "Deal, Kent, Baptisms Register" (Findmypast transcript), "20 Jun 1891, May Georgina Edith Harding, d. of John George & Lizzie Jean Harding."
- 1939 Register has b. 12 Apr 1892; death record has 12 Apr 1891.
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006" (Findmypast transcript), "Mar qtr 1975. Sackett, May Georgina E, b. 12 Apr 1891. Ludlow. 30:0078."
- 1901 England census
8 Canon Flowers Cottages, Worth (SS Peter & Paul), Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 62, wheelwright, worker, b. Margate, Kent
Maria Sackett, wife, 61, b. Ash, Kent
John S Sackett, son, single, 26, general labourer, worker, b. Worth
Frank P Sackett, son, single, 19, under gardener domestic, b. Worth
Cecil Sackett, grandson, 7, b. Worth.
- "UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services, 1853–1928" (Ancestry image), "Cecil Sackett, b. Sandwich, Kent, 28 Apr 1893, occupation indoor servant, [on entry] ht 5' 8½", chest 33½, hair fair, eyes blue, complexion fresh, [on completion] ht 5' 11", chest 37, fair, blue, fresh; Pembroke, boy servt, 20 Jun 1910, character vg; Off Std III, 28 Apr 1911, vg; Berwick, Off Std II, 22 May 1911, vg; Donegal, Off Std II, 9 Feb 1913, vg; Lancaster, Off Std II, 20 Aug 1913, vg; Suffolk, Off Std II, 15 Jan 1915, vg; Leviathan, Off Std II, 5 Apr 1915, vg; Caesar (Bermuda Bks), Off Std II, 1 Feb 1918, vg; Highflyer (Bermuda Bks), Off Std II, 12 Feb 1918, vg; Caesar (Bermuda Bks), Off Std II, 25 May 1918, vg; Matine (Bermuda Bks), Off Std II, 1 Jul 1918, vg; Malaba, Off Std II, 9 Feb 1919, vg; Pembroke I, Off Std II, May 1919, vg; OS I, 24 Aug 1919, vg; Resolution, OS I, 8 Sep 1921, vg; Victory II, OS I, 17 Aug 1922, vg; Pembroke II, OS I, 27 Aug 1924, vg; Cormorant, OS I, 17 Dec 1927, vg, Act Off Ch Stwd, 1 Jan 1928. [Date of discharge from service not recorded.] N3829/25 - Treasury unable to mention as a charge to naval votes, Sackett's appointment as personal servant to Adml Townsend while head of British Naval mission to Greece. N4965/25 - Approved man being detailed for duties as Std to R.A. C.P. Beaty-Pownall during tenure as admiral supt Chatham Dockyard. Ineligible for adv-t to Act/O.C. Std whilst detailed for this service. N147/28 - Approves rating as Act Off Ch Std as from 1 Jan 1928."
- 1911 England census
RG14, piece 3961
Royal Naval Barracks, Chatham, Kent
Cecil Sackett, 17, boy servant, b. Kent, Worth.
- 1921 England census
4 Albany Cottage, Mill Road, Deal, Kent
May Georgina Edith Sackett, wife, 30y 2m, married, b. Deal, Kent, at home.
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Russell household, Vachery Lodge, Horsham Road, Guildford R D, Surrey: Robert R Russell, b. 1882, married, chauffeur; Violeta E J Russell, b. 1894, married; RG101/1953G/006/27, May G E Sackett, b. 12 Apr 1892, married, unpaid domestic duties; ; Gladys M Ball (Beeching), b. 1899; Gladys Durrant, b. 1891; Mary F E Henderson, b. 1879; Gwendoline Miles (Robbins), b. 1916; Mabel Perry, b. 1909; Sheila E H Sackett (later Rolloson), b. 11 Jan 1884, single, children's undernurse; Lois I Townsend, b. 1907; Ellen E Woodgin, b. 1885; & 2 closed records.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||6 Nov 2022|