Charles A Sackett
|Father||James Horton Sackett (1838-)|
In 1910 Charles was living at Grand Avenue, Brooklyn, New York CityG, and was recorded in the census as Charles A Sackett, bank president, head of household, aged 45. Living with him were his wife Florence, 45, and their children, Eleanor, 16, and Beatrice, aged nine. There were two female servants in the household: a cook and a waitress.4
In 1920 he was living at Fifth Avenue, Manhattan, New York CityG, and was recorded as Charles A Sackett, a banker, head of household, aged 55. Living with him were his wife Florence, 54, and their children, Eleanor, 26, and Beatrice, aged 19. There were two female servants in the household: a cook and a maid.5
Charles and Florence were living at 247 Fifth Avenue, New York CityG, when they hosted their daughter Beatrice's wedding reception on 18 May 1922.6
Charles and Florence visited England in 1924, returning on 28 June 1924 from Southampton to New York on the Aquitania.7 They returned to England the following year, arriving at Plymouth from New York on 25 May 1925 on the Volendam.8
Children of Charles A Sackett and Florence A Ruland
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 5092 |
Thurmon King's Database, 7015
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- "Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851–2003", digital image, Ancestry.com, The Hartford Courant, Connecticut, 19 October 1935, "Charles A. Sackett. / West Cornwall, Oct. 18.—(AP.)—Charles A. Sackett, 71, vice-president of the Chase national Bank, New York, died at his summer home here today after two weeks illness. He had been suffering from heart trouble. / He leaves his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Eleanor Sureda of West Cornwall and Mrs. Beatrice Hodgman of Bronxville, N.Y."
- The New York Times, online edition, (http://www.nytimes.com/), "Sackett—Charles A., on Friday, Oct. 18, in his seventy-second year, at his Summer home in West Cornwall, Conn., after a brief illness. He is survived by his wife, Florence Ruland Sackett, and two daughters, Eleanor Sackett Sureda and Beatrice Sackett Hodgman. Funeral services at Christ Church Methodist Episcopal, Park Av. and 60th St., at 3 o'clock, Sunday, Oct. 20. Interment private. Please omit flowers."
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T624_957; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 0103; FHL microfilm: 1374970
Grand Avenue, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 18/19 Apr 1910
Sackett, Charles A, head, 45, m2. 18y, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NJ, president, bank
Sackett, Florence R, wife, 45, m1. 18y, 2 ch, both living, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Eleanor A, dau, 16, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Beatrice, dau, 9, b. CT, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Briscoe, Rose A, servant, 40, single, b. Ire (English), father b. Ire (English), mother b. Ire (English), immigrated 1885, cook, private family
Murray, Elizabeth A, servant, 40, single, b. Ire (English), father b. Ire (English), mother b. Ire (English), immigrated 1886, waitress, private family.
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T625_1203; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 749
Fifth Avenue, Manhattan, New York, 19 Jan 1920
Sackett, Charles A, head, 55, married, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NJ, banker
Sackett, Florence R, wife, 54, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Eleanor L, dau, 26, single, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, aid? hospital service
Sackett, Beatrice, dau, 19, single, b. CT, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sullivan, Julie, servant, 54, single, immigrated 1884, b. Ireland, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, cook, private family
Wrynn, Margaret, servant, 42, single, immigrated 1900, b. Ireland, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, maid, private family.
- Website New York Times, Newspaper Archive (http://query.nytimes.com), May 19, 1922, "MISS SACKETT WEDS ALFRED P. HODGMAN/ Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Sackett Married in Old First Presbyterian Church.
The wedding of Alfred Purdy Hodgman, a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Barker Hodgman, and Miss Beatrice Sackett, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Sackett, took place yesterday afternoon in the Old First Presbyterian Church, on lower Fifth Avenue, the Rev. Dr. Harry Emerson Fosdick officiating. The bride ... was attended by her sister, Miss Eleanor Sackett, as maid of honor, ... and the bridesmaids ... were the Misses Dorothy Hodgman, Katherine Hurd and Hulda Fox. Mrs. George B. Hodgman Jr. was also an attendant. Alexander C. Neave was best man, and the ushers were R. McAllister Lloyd Jr., B. Theodore Hodgman Jr., George B. Hodgman Jr., F. Thayer Hobson, Guy Richards and Barclay Robinson. The wedding reception was held at the Sackett residence, 247 Fifth Avenue. On their return from their honeymoon Mr. and Mrs. Hodgman will spend the Summer in Bronxville."
- "UK Outward Passenger Lists 1890–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Charles Sackett, 59, mnfr, Mrs Florence Sackett, age 59, wife, of Indiana, 1st class, USA citizens, dep. Southampton, 28 Jun 1924, to New York, ship Aquitania, Cunard Line."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Charles A Sackett, 60, banker, USA citizen, Volendam 1st class, arr. 25 May 1925 Plymouth, from New York, UK address Brown Shipley, London, last permanent residence USA."
"Florence Sackett, 60, housewife, USA citizen, Volendam 1st class, arr. 25 May 1925 Plymouth, from New York, UK address Brown Shipley, London, last permanent residence USA."
|Last Edited||28 Oct 2018|