Norman A Sackett1
|Father||Norman Sackett (1788-1834)|
|Mother||Sally Northrup (1792-1827)|
In 1850 Norman was living in Sharon, Litchfield County, ConnecticutG, in the household of Lemuel Merchant, 56, a farmer, and was recorded in the census as N A Sacket, a teacher, aged 25 and born in Ohio.6
In 1860 he was living in Simsbury, Hartford County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded as Norman Sackett, a teacher, aged 34. Living with him were his wife Julia, 33, and their children, John, 8, and William, aged three.7
Norman served as a Private in the American Civil War, enlisting in the First Connecticut Volunteers Light Battery on 15 October 1861. He transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps in 1864 and was discharged on 16 November 1865.8,3
In 1880 he was living in Simsbury, Hartford County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded as Norman A Sackett, a school teacher, head of household, aged 55 and born in Ohio. Living with him were his wife Julia, 55, and their son Arthur, 19.9
Children of Norman A Sackett and Julia Jenkins
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|See also||Bronson, History of Tallmadge|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, not recorded.
- Thurmon King's database, 19301 Norman Sackett.
- "US, National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866–1938", digital image, Ancestry.com, 3267, "Norman A Sackett, enlisted Meriden, Conn, Nov 14, 1861, Pvt, 1st Conn Batt Lt Art, discharged Washington DC May 2, 1864, re-enlistment in Vet Res Corps, Washington DC May 3, 1864, Pvt, Co A, 9th Vet Res Corps, discharged Washington DC Nov 16, 1865, expiration of service, disability: var veins both legs, hernia, contracted Watertown, Dak, Oct 1887. Born Ohio, age 65, 5'10", fair complexion, blue eyes, gray hair, school teacher, res. Sioux Falls, Dak, widower. Admitted to home Jan 15, 1889, died June 15, 1889, scirrhus, cancer of liver."
- "US, Burial Registers, MIlitary Posts and National Cemeteries, 1862–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, Death Register, Western Branch NHDVS, "Norman A Sackett, 1 Conn Lt Art, d. 15 Jun 1889, aged 65, scirrhus cancer of liver, bur. Leavenworth National Cemetery, Kansas, grave 255."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Norman A., of Ashland, O., m. Julia Jenkins, of Sharon, Aug. 25, 1851, by Rev. Charles Rockwall. Sharon Vital Records, LR27:545."
- 1850 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll M432_43, p. 31B, Image 290
Sharon, Litchfield County, Connecticut
Sacket, N A, 25, teacher, b. Ohio
[in household of Lemuel Merchant, 56, a farmer].
- 1860 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll M653_79, p. 582, Image 193, FHL Film 803079
Simsbury, Hartford County, Connecticut, 11 Jul 1860
Sackett, Norman, 34, teacher of school, personal estate $125, b. OH
Sackett, Julia, 33, housekeeper, b. CT
Sackett, John, 8, b. OH
Sackett, William, 3, b. CT.
- Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion, Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, Hartford, Conn (1889), History of the First CV Light Battery, 103, Privates, "Sackett, Norman A, of Bloomfield, enlisted Oct 15, '61, mustered Nov 14, '61, Trans. to unassigned detachment V.R.C. Feb 25, '64. Re-en Vet. May 3, '64. Trans to Co. C. 11th Regt. V.R.C. Trans to Co. D. 12th Regt. V.R.C. Trans to Co. A, 9th Regt. V.R.C. Disc. Nov 16, '65."
- 1880 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut
Norman A. Sackett, head, married, 55, b. OH, school teacher, father b. OH, mother, b. OH
Julia Sackett, wife, 55, b. CT, keeping house, father VA, mother b. CT
Auther Sackett, son, single, 19, b. CT, at home, father b. OH, mother b. CT
FHL 1254100, NA T9-0100/591B.
|Last Edited||1 February 2017|