Silia Jane Comstock1
|Father||Henry James Comstock (1816-1893)|
|Mother||Emily Sibyl Sackett (1817-1882)|
In 1850 Silia was living in Cornwall, Litchfield CountyG, in the household of her parents James and Emily, and was recorded in the census as Silan J Comstock, aged eight and born in Connecticut.7
In 1860 she was living in WarrenG in the household of her parents Henry and Emily, and was recorded as Silia J Comstock, aged 18.8
In 1880 she was living in WarrenG in the household of her husband Franklin, 58, a farmer, and was recorded as Silia J Curtiss, aged 38. Living with them was Franklin's son William, 30.9
In 1900 she was living in WarrenG in the household of her husband Franklin, 78, a farmer, and was recorded as Silia C Curtiss, aged 58. They owned their home free of mortgage. Recorded as living with them was their daughter Lucy, 19, although another census record indicates that she was away at boarding school.10
In 1910 she was living at West 123rd Street, Manhattan, New York CityG, and was recorded as Silia Curtiss, head of household, a widow, aged 68 and born in Massachusetts. Living with her was her unmarried daughter Lucy, 29, a teacher.11
In 1920 Silia was living at Washington Terrace, Bridgeport, Fairfield County, ConnecticutG, in the household of her daughter Lucy, 39, a schoolteacher, and was recorded in the census as Sila Curtiss, a widow, aged 77.12
Child of Silia Jane Comstock and Franklin A Curtiss
- Lucy Sackett Curtiss b. 31 Oct 1880, d. 10 Mar 1973
Notes & Citations
- The Sacketts of America has the name as "Julia" and then "Lilia". The Comstock Genealogy and other records have "Silia"; she was probably named after her father's sister, also Silia.
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "6550. Julia J. Comstock, b. Feb. 11, 1842; m. Franklin A. Curtiss."
- C B Comstock, Some descendants of Samuel Comstock of Providence, R.I., who died about 1660 (New York: The Knickerbocker Press, 1905), p 179, "Silia Jane, [d. of James Henry Comstock & Emily Sybil Sackett], b. 1842, Feb. 11, Williamstown, Mass."
p 219, "Silia Jane Comstock (James H.), b. 1842, Feb. 11, Williamstown, Mass. She m. 1878, Aug. 27, Franklyn A. Curtiss, b. 1821, Dec. 2, Warren, Ct. Residence, Warren, Ct. Child (Curtiss):
Lucy Sackett, b. 1880, Oct. 31, Warren, Ct."
- "Connecticut Deaths and Burials Index, 1650–1934" (Ancestry transcript), "Silia J Comstock Curtiss, b. 11 Feb 1842, d. CT, 25 Feb 1929, aged 87, bur Old Cemetery, Warren, CT, spouse Franklin A Curtiss."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), "Curtiss, Silia J Comstock, wife of Franklin A, born Feb 11 1842, died Feb 25 1929."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), "Curtiss, Franklin A, born Dec 2 1821, died Mar 10 1907."
- 1850 United States census
Roll M432_43, p. 19B, Image 268
Cornwall, Litchfield Connecticut, 12 Aug 1850
Comstock, James H, 36, farmer, real estate $2,100, b. CT
Comstock, Emily, 33, b. CT
Comstock, Silian J, 8, b. CT
Comstock, Justus, 6m, b. CT
Hollock, James P, 18, laborer, b. CT
Gaylord, Harriet, 18, b. CT.
- 1860 United States census
Roll M653_81, p. 326, Image 333, FHL Film 803081
Warren, Litchfield, Connecticut, 30 Jun 1860
Henry Comstock, 46, farmer, real estate $5,000, personal estate $1,600, b. MA
Emily S Comstock, 43, b. CT
Silia J Comstock, 18, b. MA
Justus S Comstock, 10, b. CT
Polly Sackett, 73, b. CT
Kate Weth?, 24, teacher common schools, b. CT.
- 1880 United States census
Roll 101, Family History Film 1254101, p. 332A, Enumeration District 018, Image 0364
Warren, Litchfield, Connecticut, 15-18 Jun 1880
Curtiss, Franklin A, 58, [head], farmer, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Curtiss, Silia J, 38, wife, keeping house, b. CT, father b. MA, mother b. CT
Curtiss, William F, 30, son, works on farm, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Ives, Jennie, 24, boarder, school teacher, b. NY, father b. CT, mother b. PA
Peterson, Erick, 20, laborer, b. Sweden, father b. Sweden, mother b. Sweden
Barrett, Marian, 1, gdau, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Senior, Emma, 25, stepdau, at home, b. CT, father b. PA, mother b. CT.
- 1900 United States census
Roll 141, p. 5A, Enumeration District 0260, FHL microfilm 1240141
Warren Town, Litchfield County, Connecticut, 14-15 Jun 1900
Curtiss, Franklin A, head, b. Dec 1821, age 78, m. 22y, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT, farmer, home owned free of mortgage
Curtiss, Silia C, wife, b. Feb 1842, age 58, m. 22y, 1 ch, living, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. CT
Curtiss, Lucy S, dau, b. Oct 1880, age 19, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, at school
Peters, M Ginevra, boarder, b. Jun 1846, age 53, single, b. NY, father b. CT, mother b. NH, seamstress.
- 1910 United States census
Roll T624_1027, p. 15B, Enumeration District 0721, FHL microfilm 1375040
West 123rd Street, Manhattan Ward 20, New York, New York
Curtiss, Silia C, head, 68, wd, b. MA, father b. b. MA, mother b. CT
Curtiss, Lucy S, dau, 29, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, teacher pub school
Clark, Agnes E, lodger, 32, single, b. RI, father b. RI, mother b. RI, teacher pub school.
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_175, p. 4B, Enumeration District 46, Image 871
Washington Terrace, Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut, 7 Jan 1920
Curtiss, Lucy, head, home owned on a mortgage, 39, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, teacher, school
Curtiss, Sila C, mother, 77, wid, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. CT
Wakeman, Nellie M, roomer, age "un", single, b. US, father b. US, mother b. US, stenographer.
|Sackett line||8th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||31 Dec 2014|