Colonel Henry Woodward Sackett
|Father||Solon Philo Sackett MD (1818-1893)|
|Mother||Lovedy Keturah Woodward (c 1823-1912)|
In 1895 Henry was accepted for membership of the New York Society of the Sons of the American Revolution as a descendant of Major Buell Sackett.4
Henry Sackett was appointed as an aide-de-camp to the New York State Governor in 1896 with the rank of Colonel.
Henry, with his brother Charles, claimed entitlement to bear a coat of arms, citing their descent from Simon Sackett the colonist and Simon's son John Sackett of Northampton, Massachusetts. Details were documented, presumably at the brothers' instance, in Crozier's General Armory (1904) and Matthews' American Armoury (1907). [See topic Sackett coats of arms and crests5,6]
Henry and Elisabeth visited England in 1899, travelling cabin class on the Teutonic and arriving at Liverpool from New York on 21 July. Henry was listed as aged 45, a lawyer, and his wife Elisabeth was 37.7 They made a further visit, travelling on the Cedric from New York and arriving at Liverpool on 27 July 1905.8
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "5786. Henry W. Sackett, b. Aug. 31, 1853; m. Elizabeth Titus."
- Thurmon King's database, 1318 Henry Woodward Sackett.
- Website New York Times, Newspaper Archive (http://query.nytimes.com), December 10, 1929, "COL. H.W. SACKETT DIES AFTER STROKE; Noted Corporation Lawyer Had Practiced at the Bar for Half a Century./ PUBLICATION LAW EXPERT/ Counsel for New York Herald Tribune—Defender of Beauty of Central Park.
Colonel Henry Woodward Sackett, prominent lawyer and authority on the laws of libel, died last night at his residence, 515 Madison Avenue, of pneumonia, after a stroke of paralysis suffered ten days ago. His age was 76. A sister, Miss Sarah Sackett of Ithaca, N.Y., survives. Funeral arrangements will be announced later."
- "US Sons of the American Revolution membership applications", digital image, Ancestry.com, March 1895, Henry Woodward Sackett, descendant of Buel Sackett.
- Crozier's General Armory: A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor, Fox, Duffield & Company, New York (1904).
- John Matthews, Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book, Crest Publishing Company, Inc., New York (1907).
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Henry Sackett, 45, lawyer, foreigner [not British], Teutonic cabin class, arr. 21 Jul 1899 Liverpool from New York
Elizabeth Sackett, 37, wife, foreigner [not British], Teutonic cabin class, arr. 21 Jul 1899 Liverpool from New York."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Henry W Sackett, 51, foreigner [not British], Cedric cabin class, arr. 27 Jul 1905 Liverpool, from New York
Elizth T Sackett, 42, foreigner [not British], Cedric cabin class, arr. 27 Jul 1905 Liverpool, from New York."
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||30 September 2014|