John Henry Sackett
|Father||John Sackett (1782-1851)|
|Mother||Louisa ___ (c 1784-1852)|
John was admitted by patrimony into the freedom of the Shipwright's Company on 31 March 1825.9
In 1841 John was living at 10 James Place, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as John Sacket, a shipwright, aged 37 and born in Surrey. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth, 33, and their children, Mary, 13, George, 11, Emma, 7, Elizabeth, 4, and Eliza, aged four months.10
In 1851 he was living at 14 Moreton Terrace, RotherhitheG, and was recorded as John Sackett, a barge builder, head of household, married, aged 47, and born in Rotherhithe. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth, aged 43, and born in Bermondsey, and children, George, 20, Maria, 23, Emma, 17, Elizabeth, 13, Eliza, 10, Amelia, 6, and Charles, 4.11
In 1871 he was living at 1 Bonds Cottages, Leathermarket, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded as John H Sackett, ship's carpenter, head of household, married, aged 67, and born in Rotherhithe. Living with him was his wife Mary, aged 57, birthplace not known, and grandson Henry Sackett, a scholar, aged 8, and born in Rotherhithe.12
In 1881 he was living at 38 Marigold Street, BermondseyG, and was recorded as John H Sackett, a barge builder, head of household, married, aged 77, and born in Rotherhithe. Living with him were his wife Mary, aged 70, and born in Rotherhithe, and grandson, Henry Sackett, India rubber worker, unmarried, aged 18, and born in Rotherhithe.13
Children of John Henry Sackett and Elizabeth Catherine Meinert
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Sackett shipwrights of London
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Mary the Virgin, Rotherhithe, Surrey, "8 April 1804 John Henry s. John & Louisa Sackett, b. 25 February."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1881. Sackett, John Henry, 77. St Olave."
- Burials Register, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery, digital image, Ancestry.com, "2 Nov 1881, John Henry Sackett, of 34 Cherrygarden Street, Bermondsey, 77 yrs."
- Marriages Register, St Leonard's, Shoreditch, Middlesex, "18 July 1827 John Henry Sackett, bachelor, of this parish, & Elizabeth Catherine Meinert, spinster, of this parish. Banns. Witnesses: Tho J France, Maria Meinert."
- Baptisms Register, St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, Surrey (image on Ancestry.co.uk), "26 July 1807, Elizabeth Catherine b. 19 June, d. of Henry & Catherine Meinert, tanner of Sion Court."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1860. Sackett, John Henry. Mile End. 1c:1069."
- Marriages Register, St Thomas, Stepney, Middlesex (image on Ancestry.co.uk), "11 June 1860, John Henry Sackett, full age, widower, shipwright, of Stepney, father: John Henry Sackett, shipwright; and Mary Ann Wright, full age, widow, of Stepney, father: John [illegible], deceased. Banns. He signed. She made mark. Witnesses: Thomas Hickinson, Jane Judith [illegible]."
- Date of birth based on ages in census returns.
- "Freedom of the City of London Admission Papers, 1681–1925", digital image, Ancestry.com, "This is to certify that John Henry Sackett, son of John & Louisa, was this 31st day of March 1825 admitted and sworn into the Freedom of the Shipwright's Company by Patrimony. John Whetstone, Clerk of said Company."
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, 10 James Place, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey
John Sacket, 37, shipwright, b. Surrey
Elizabeth Sacket, 33, b. Surrey
Mary Sacket, 13, b. Surrey
George Sacket, 11, b. Surrey
Emma Sacket, 7, b. Surrey
Elizabeth Sacket, 4, b. not Surrey
Eliza Sacket, 4 Mo, b. Surrey
HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 25; Page: 3; Line: 9; GSU roll: 474649.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, 14 Moreton Ter., Rotherhithe, Surrey
John Sackett, head, married, 47, barge builder, b. Surrey, Rotherhithe
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 43, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
George Sackett, son, 20, barge builder, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Maria Sackett, dau, 23, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Emma Sackett, dau, 17, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 13, b. Kent, Deptford
Eliza Sackett, dau, 10, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Amelia Sackett, dau, 6, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Chas. Sackett, son, 4, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/634/f38
1 Bonds Cottages, Leathermarket, Bermondsey, Surrey
John H Sackett, head, married, 67, ship's carpenter, b. Rotherhithe, Surrey
Mary A Sackett, wife, 57, b. not known
Henry Sackett, gson, 8, scholar, b. Rotherhithe.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341129, PRO RG11/0566/57/37
38 Marigold St
John H. SACKETT, head, married, 77, b. Rotherhithe, Surrey, barge builder
Mary SACKETT, wife, 70, b. Rotherhithe
Henry SACKETT, grandson, unmarried, 18, b. Rotherhithe, India rubber worker.
|Last Edited||27 May 2017|