Richard Henry Sackett
|Father||Henry Sackett (1774-1862)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Sackett (1778-1861)|
Richard's wife Elizabeth was admitted to the Bethlem Hospital, Southwark, LondonG, on 15 June 1832 suffering from peritonitis and post-natal depression. She had attempted suicide by taking arsenic—in a grim echo of the death of her mother who had committed suicide by hanging when deranged after her husband had been run over and killed by a wagon. Elizabeth remained in the hospital for six months until discharged on 25 December when she was declared "well".
Elizabeth was again admitted to the hospital some twelve years later on 30 August 1844. Her daughter Emma had died aged eleven of tuberculosis a year earlier. Elizabeth suffered delirium at the time of the death, and had since become delusional and suicidal. Severe headaches were treated with "leeches, blisters, and purgations". After a five-month stay, she was declared "well" and discharged on 24 January 1845.
The respite was brief, and Elizabeth was re-admitted less than two months later on 13 March, staying in hospital for nearly fifteen months until discharged on 5 June 1846, this time with the less optimistic declaration of "uncured".
Described as "affectionate" and "liberal" and "always of a good disposition" before becoming ill, she was now "constantly talking and hollering, tearing her hair out, destroying her clothes, wringing her hands," and was suicidal, "talking of hanging".
Whether Elizabeth's condition subsequently improved is not known, but she is recorded living at home with her husband Richard over the next twenty-five years.
Records from the Bethlem Hospital (which had notoriously become known as "Bedlam" in consequence of its poor conditions) show that, in this period, and in regard to Elizabeth's treatment, patients were treated with compassion and professionalism, at least by the standards of knowledge of the day.8
In 1841 Richard was living at King Street, St John, Margate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Richard Sackett, a baker, aged 30 [ages rounded down to nearest five years] and born in Kent. Living with him was his wife Elizabeth, aged 35, and their daughter Emma, aged nine. Also in the household were a male servant, a female servant, and a baker's apprentice.9
In 1851 Richard was living at 21 King Street, Margate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Richard Henry Sackett, a baker employing one man, head of household, married, aged 43, and born in St Peter's. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth, aged 45 and born in Elham, and an 18-year-old male servant.10
In 1861 he was living at 21 King Street, Margate, KentG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a baker employing one man, head of household, married, aged 52, and born in St Peter's. Living with him was his wife Elizabeth, aged 55 and born in Elham.11
In 1871 he was living at 75 King Street, Margate, KentG, and was recorded as Richard H Sackett, a baker, head of household, married, aged 63, and born in St Peter's. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth, aged 65 and born in Elham, and a 17-year-old female servant.12
Richard died intestate. Letters of administration of his estate were granted at the Probate Registry, CanterburyG, on 2 September 1879 to his brother Benjamin Watten Sackett. Richard's estate was valued at less than £100.3
Richard was named as a beneficiary in his brother Benjamin's will made in RamsgateG on 5 December 1881.13
Child of Richard Henry Sackett and Elizabeth Dadd
- Emma Sackett b. 1831, d. 1843
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Peter in Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "4 October 1807 Richard Henry s. Henry & Elizabeth Sackett, b. 3 September."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1879. Sackett, Richard Henry, 71. Thanet."
- Letters of administration of the estate of Richard Henry Sackett of 75 King Street, Margate, granted at Probate Registry, Canterbury, 2 September 1879 (Somerset House Indexes), "Richard Henry Sackett, 75 King Street, Margate, baker & confectioner, died 12 August 1879 at home. Administration granted Canterbury 2 September 1879 (personal estate under £100) to Benj. Watton Sackett, 63 Addington Road, Ramsgate, gent, brother, one of next of kin."
- Burials Register, Zion Chapel, Margate, Kent, "15 August 1879 Richard Henry Sackett, 71 years."
- Marriages Register, St George, Ramsgate, Kent, "23 November 1830 Richard Sackett, bachelor of this parish, & Elizabeth Dadd, widow of St John. Witnesses: F G Smith, John Dadd."
- 1851 England census
St. Johns, Margate, Kent
21 King St.
Richard Henry SACKETT, head, married, 43, baker, empl. 1 man, b. Kent, St. Peters
Elizabeth SACKETT, wife, 45, b. Kent, Elham
John Thomas ROGERS, serv., unmarried, 18, b. Kent, Margate.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1875. Sackett, Elizabeth, 69. Maidstone."
- "London, Bethlem Hospital patient admission registers and casebooks 1683–1932" (Findmypast image), Elizabeth Sackett patient records.
- 1841 England census
King Street, St John, Margate, Kent
Richard Sackett, 30, baker, b. Kent
Elizth Sackett, 35, b. Kent
Emma Sackett, 9, b. Kent
Frances Marsh, 20, FS, b. Kent
Charles Robinson, 20, MS, b. Kent
Edward Cladish?, 15, baker's ap, b. Kent
Entries for Richard Sackett & Elizth Sackett: HO107; Piece 468; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St John The Baptist Margate; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 26; Page: 9; Lines: 24/25; GSU roll: 306863.
Entries from Emma Sackett to Edward Cladish?: HO107; Piece 468; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St John The Baptist Margate; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 26; Page: 11; Line: 1/4; GSU roll: 306863.
[Note: The enumerator skipped a page in error with the result that Emma Sackett's entry on the first line of page 11 (it should be on page 10) appears to place her wrongly in the family of Thomas & Martha Sackett.]
- 1851 England census
21 King St., St. Johns, Margate, Kent
Richard Henry Sackett, head, married, 43, baker, empl. 1 man, b. Kent, St. Peters
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 45, b. Kent, Elham
John Thomas Rogers, serv., unmarried, 18, b. Kent, Margate
- 1861 England census
21 King Street, Margate, Kent
Richard Sackett, head, married, 52, baker empl. 1 man, b. St Peter's, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 55, b. Elham, Kent.
- 1871 England census
75 King Street, Margate, Kent
Richard H Sackett, head, married, 63, baker, b. St Peter's, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 65, b. Elham, Kent
Sarah A Hickson, serv., unm., 17, servant, b. Margate, Kent.
- Will of Benjamin Watten Sackett of Ramsgate, Kent, 1881?, proved at Canterbury, 5 December 1881 (Somerset House Indexes).
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||21 Jun 2021|