Mary Ann Sackett
|Father||George Sackett (1772-1842)|
|Mother||Sophia ___ (-1841)|
Mary and her sister Ann were listed in the Lewisham, Kent, Directory in 1840 as the proprietors of a boarding school in Lee, KentG.4
In 1841 Mary was living at Park End Cottage, Kidbrooke, KentG, in the household of her mother Sophia, and was recorded in the census as Marianne Sackett, a schoolmistress, aged 25+.5 In 1847 Mary and Ann were listed in the Blackheath, KentG, Directory as proprietors of a boarding academy.6
In 1851 Mary was living at Lewisham Road, St Paul's, Deptford, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Mary A Sackett, head of household, unmarried, aged 32 and born in Bermondsey, Surrey. Living with her was her married brother, George S Sackett. Also in the household were a female house servant and four visiting children.7,8
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey, "14 July 1811 Mary Ann Sackett d. George & Sophia, bn. 13 June. Father's occ: waterman."
- Marriages Register, St Paul, Deptford, Kent (IGI), "17 July 1858, Henry Lloyd, full age, bachelor, gentleman, otp, father: John Barnaby Lloyd, Lieut. RN; and Mary Anne Sackett, full age, spinster, otp, father: George Sackett, surgeon. Licence. Both signed. Witnesses: Geo S Sackett LLD, C C Scarbrow."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1858. Sackett, Mary Anne. Greenwich. 1d:775."
- "UK, City and County Directories, 1766–1946", digital image, Ancestry.com, Pigot's Directory 1840, Kent, Lewisham, Academies & Schools, "Sackett Mary Ann & Ann (boarding), Lee."
- 1841 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, HO107; Piece 483; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Kidbrooke; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 19; Page: 7; Line: 16; GSU roll: 306875.
Park End Cottage, Kidbrooke, Kent
Sophia Sackett, 60, ind, not b. Kent
Marianne Sackett, 25, schoolmistress, not b. Kent
Ann Sackett, 20, schoolmistress, not b. Kent.
- "UK, City and County Directories, 1766–1946", digital image, Ancestry.com, Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer and Directory 1847, Kent, Blackheath Hundred, Academies, "*Sackett Mary Ann and Ann." ["*" indicates take Boarders]
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, Lewisham Rd., St. Pauls, Deptford, Kent
Mary A. Sackett, head, unmarried, 32, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
George S. Sackett, brother, married, 43, L.L.D. Author Gen. Literature, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Elizabeth Cousens, serv., unmarried, 19, house servant, b. Kent, Deptford
Margaret Davidson, visitor, 11, b. Middlesex, London
James Davidson, visitor, 6, b. Middlesex, London
John Davidson, visitor, 3, b. Middlesex, London
Samuel Everett, visitor, 4, b. Middlesex, Poplar
- Although the ages given in the 1851 census do not match, identification of Mary A Sackett and George S Sackett would appear to be correct based on the combination of their being brother and sister and the fact that they were both born in Bermondsey. Both appear to have understated their ages by eight years.
|Sackett line||6th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||16 Feb 2021|