Seymour Austin Sackett
|Father||George Sacket (1808-1879)|
|Mother||Lucy Asenath "Betsey" Cowles (c 1813-)|
In 1850 Seymour was living in WestfieldG in the household of his parents George and Lucy, and was recorded in the census as Seymour A Sacket, aged 14, and born in Massachusetts.7
Seymour was a student at Westfield AcademyG in 1853.8
In 1860 he was living in WestfieldG and was recorded as Seymour Sacket, a lash cutter, aged 24. He was living in a hotel owned by Nelson Foster.9
Seymour registered for the Civil War draft in June 1863. He was married, aged 30, and was a whip maker, living in WestfieldG.10
In 1870 he was living in WestfieldG and was recorded as Seymour Sackett, a whip maker, aged 35, and born in Massachusetts. Living with him were his wife Hannah, aged 27 and born in Massachusetts, and their children, Sarah, 8, John, 6, George, 3, and Mabel aged six months.11
Seymour was listed in the Westfield City Directory in 1873 as a tanner. He was listed there in 1875 but with no occupation stated. He was not listed in the 1878 and 1879 directories. From 1880 to 1886 he was listed there as a whip cutter.12
After Seymour's death, Mary returned to New Haven, ConnecticutG, and was listed there in the 1897 city directory.13 According to Seymour's newspaper obituaries, he and Mary were divorced. These reports also state that he and Mary had two daughters. There are two records of a daughter born in Greenfield, Massachusetts, on 16 July 1887, one for Gertrude Adella in the Cambridge, Massachusetts, birth register, and one for Emily in the Greenfield register. It would be unlikely that twin daughters were not registered together and this would suggest that Gertrude and Emily were the same. Alternatively, if there were two daughters, it is possible that an error was made in recording the date of birth in one of the registers (both registers would have been written up some months later, the Greenfield register being dated February 1888 while the Cambridge register is undated).
Children of Seymour Austin Sackett and Hannah Louisa Sibley
- Sarah Sackett b. 12 Oct 1861
- John Allen Sackett b. 26 Sep 1863
- ___ Sackett b. 29 May 1865
- George Raymond Sackett+ b. 31 Jul 1867, d. 11 Oct 1940
- Mabel Sackett b. c Dec 1869
- Kittie Sackett b. c 1872
- Frederick Sackett b. May 1874
- Maude Sackett b. 21 Sep 1874
- Mary Sackett b. c 1875
- Edward Austin "Blind Ed" Sackett b. May 1878, d. 7 Jan 1941
Child of Seymour Austin Sackett and Mary Elizabeth Norwood
- Gertrude Adella Sackett b. 16 Jul 1887
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 2794 |
Thurmon King's Database, 1057
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Vital Records, Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, v463, p795, death, "1896 July 14, Seymour A Sackett, married, 61, entero colitis, mesenteric thrombosis, [at?] Springfield, [burial?] Westfield, salesman, b. Westfield, s. George & Betsey (Cowles), father b. Westfield, mother b. Northampton."
- Vital Records, Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, v145, p16, marriage, "10 January 1861, Seymour A Sackett, 25, whip maker, of Westfield, b. Westfield, s. George & Lucy A, and Hannah L Sibley, 18, of Westfield, b. Westfield, d. Allen & Sarah, both first m., m. by Henry M Bean of St John Church."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Hannah Louisa Sibley, b. Westfield, 10 May 1842, d. of Allen & Sarah Sibley."
- Vital Records, Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, v381, p138, marriage, "1887 August 16, recorded Aug 17, S Austin Sackett, of Boston, 46, sewing machine agt, b. Westfield, s. George & Lucy A, second m.; and Mary E Norwood, of Boston, 27, none, b. New Haven Conn, d. Emery & Emily, first m.; m. by Joseph G Switzer, Boston."
- Daughter's birth record.
- 1850 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, M432_318/202
Westfield, Hampden County, MA
George Sacket, 42, whips, b. MA
Lucy A Sacket, 26 [?36], b. MA
Seymour A Sacket, 14, b. MA
Mary Sacket, 12, b. MA
Ellen A Sacket, 9, b. MA
Melissa Cooly, 18, female, b. MA
Esther R Johnson, 16, b. MA.
- "U.S., High School Student Lists, 1821–1923", digital image, Ancestry.com, Westfield Academy, 1853, "Seymour Sackett, Westfield."
- 1860 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_502; Page: 906; Family History Library Film: 803502
Westfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts
Sacket, Seymour, 24, lash cutter, personal estate $200, b. MA
[In hotel of Nelson Foster, hotel keeper].
- "US Civil War draft registrations records 1863–1865", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Seymour Sackett, of Westfield, 30, whip maker, married, b. Hampden Co, enumerated June 1863, 10th district, Massachusetts, white, class I."
- 1870 Census for United States, M593_619/418/155
Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts
Sackett, Seymour, 35, works at whips, b. Mass
Sackett, Hannah, 27, keeping house, $1,500, b. Mass
Sackett, Sarah, 8, attending school, b. Mass
Sackett, John, 6, attending school, b. Mass
Sackett, George, 3, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, Mabel, 6/12, at home, b. Mass.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, Westfield City Directory, 1873, "Sackett Seymour A., tanner, h Elm."; 1875, "Sackett Seymour A., h 153 Elm."; 1878, 1879, not listed; 1880, "Sackett Seymour, whip cutter for J C Schmidt."; 1881, 1882, "Sackett Seymour A., whipcutter, at 10 Mechanic."; 1886, "Sackett Seymour A., whip-cutter, inquire Brower House."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, New Haven Directory, 1897, "Sackett Mary E., widow Seymour A., dressmaker, h 26 Garden."
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||30 June 2019|