John Thomas Edward "Jack" Sackett
|Father||George Edward Sackett (1872-1945)|
|Mother||Rosa Wilson (1872-)|
In 1901 John was living at 4 Grange Road, St John's, Margate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as John T Sackett, aged 3 and born in Margate, the son of George E Sackett.9
In 1911 he was living at 26 Hastings Avenue, MargateG, in the household of his parents George and Rosa, and was recorded as John Sackett, a schoolboy, aged 13 and born in Margate.10
John Sackett served as a cook in the Royal Navy Air Service during the First World War, enlisting at age 18 for twelve years on 27 January 1916. His prior occupation as a civilian was that of baker. He transferred to the Royal Air Force on its formation on 1 April 1918. He was discharged on 1 April 1921 after five years' service, including seven months in France in 1918.11,12
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, John and Clara were living at The Shanty, Lydden Hill, Margate, KentG. He was a chef.13
After John's death, Clara married second in Stoke, StaffordshireG, in 1960, George A Farmer.14
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Mar qtr 1898. Sackett, John Thomas Edward. Mother: Wilson. Thanet. 2a:947."
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "23 December 1897 John Thomas Edward s. George Edward & Rosa Sackett, b. 6 December, 2 Grange Rd, Salmestone, blacksmith."
- 1939 Register.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1959. Sackett, John T E, 61. Thanet."
- Thanet Times, Kent, "28th July 1959—Sackett, on 17th July 1959 at Ramsgate General Hospital, John Thomas Edward (Jack), beloved husband of Clara, passed peacefully away after a long illness. Good night beloved."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1930. Sackett, John T E. Spouse: Maslin. Thanet. 2a:3335."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1930. Maslin, Clara A. Spouse: Sackett. Thanet. 2a:3335."
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Dec qtr 1900. Maslin, Clara Annie. Thanet. 2a:922."
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, 4 Grange Road, St John's, Margate, Kent
George E SACKETT, head, 28, blacksmith (worker), b. Faversham, Kent
Rosa SACKETT, wife, 28, b. Canterbury, Kent
Harriet M SACKETT, dau, 7, b. Faversham
Kate Hilda SACKETT, dau, 5, b. Margate
John T SACKETT, son, 3, b. Margate
George W SACKETT, son, 9m, b. Margate
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, 26 Hastings Avenue, Margate, Kent
George Sackett, head, 38, married, grocer's porter, worker, b. Faversham, Kent
Rosa Sackett, wife, 38, m. 18y, 7 ch, all living, b. Canterbury, Kent
Harriet Sackett, dau, 17, b. Faversham, Kent
John Sackett, son, 13, school, b. Margate
George Sackett, son, 10, school, b. Margate
Rosa Sackett, dau, 5, b. Ramsgate, Kent
William Sackett, son, 3, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Thomas Sackett, son, 2, b. Margate.
- "British Royal Air Force service records, 1912–1939", digital image, Findmypast.
- "UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services, 1853–1928", digital image, Ancestry.com.
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, The Shanty, Lydden Hill, Margate M B, Kent: RG101/1752G/020/25, John T E Sackett, b. 6 Dec 1897, married, chef; Clara A Sacket (later Farmer), b. 15 Sep 1900, married, unpaid domestics.
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index", database, Ancestry.com, "Dec qtr 1960. Sackett, Clara A. Spouse: Farmer. Stoke. 9b:1273."
"Dec qtr 1960. Farmer, George A. Spouse: Sackett. Stoke. 9b:1273."
|Last Edited||21 November 2016|