George Edward Sackett
|Father||Thomas Sackett (1848-1923)|
|Mother||Harriet Maria (Simpson) Craycraft (1848-1923)|
In 1881 George was living at 6 Linfield Cottages, FavershamG, and was recorded in the census as George E Sacket, a scholar aged 8 and born in Faversham, son of Thomas Sacket.9
In 1891 he was living at 14 Kingsnorth Road, FavershamG, and was recorded as George E Sackett, an apprentice blacksmith, aged 18 and born in Faversham, the unmarried son of Thomas Sackett.10
In 1901 he was living at 4 Grange Road, St John's, Margate, KentG, and was recorded as George E Sackett, head of household, a blacksmith (employed), aged 28 and born in Faversham, Kent. The other members of his household were his wife Rosa, aged 28 and born in Canterbury, his daughters, Harriet, aged 7, and Kate, aged 5, and his sons, John, aged 3, and George, aged 9 months.11
In 1911 he was living at 26 Hastings Avenue, MargateG, and was recorded as George Sackett, a grocer's porter, head of household, aged 38 and born in Faversham. Living with him were his wife Rosa, 38, and their children, Harriet, 17, John, 13, George, 10, Rosa, 5, William, 3, and Thomas, aged two.12
George joined the National Union of Railwaymen at Canterbury, KentG, on 4 May 1917. He worked as a temporary porter on the South Eastern and Chatham Railway.13
George was granted administration on 6 October 1923 of his father Thomas's estate, valued at £142.14
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, George and Rosa were living at 7 Beatrice Road, Margate, KentG, with their son William and daughter-in-law Lilian.15
Children of George Edward Sackett and Rosa Wilson
- Harriet Maria Sackett+ b. 1894
- Kate Hilda Elizabeth Sackett+ b. 10 Nov 1895, d. 1979
- John Thomas Edward "Jack" Sackett b. 6 Dec 1897, d. 17 Jul 1959
- George William Sackett+ b. 27 Jun 1900, d. 24 Sep 1954
- Rosa Dorothy May Sackett+ b. 1905
- William James Sackett+ b. 6 Jun 1907, d. 1978
- Thomas Stephen Sackett+ b. 16 Nov 1908, d. 13 Dec 1960
- Frederick Sackett+ b. 12 May 1912, d. 15 Mar 1974
- Arthur Douglas Verdun Sackett+ b. 30 Dec 1916, d. 1975
Notes & Citations
- Letter from John Prescott, to Chris Sackett, dated 21 October 2002.
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1872. Sackett, George Edward. Mother: Craycraft. Faversham. 2a:734."
- 1939 Register.
- Baptisms Register, St Mary of Charity, Faversham, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "17 May 1872 George Edward Sackett bn 19 Apr, son of Thomas & Harriet Maria, Lichfield Cottages, gas fitter."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1945. Sackett, George E, 73. Thanet."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1893. Sackett, George Edward. Faversham."
- Marriages Register, Ss Peter & Paul, Ospringe, Kent, "4 November 1893, George Edward Sackett, 21, bachelor, blacksmith, of Ospringe, father: Thomas Sackett, gas fitter; and Rosa Wilson, 21, spinster, of Ospringe, father: William Wilson, labourer. Banns. Both signed. Witnesses: Thomas Alfred Sackett, R Sarah Sackett (made mark)."
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341231, PRO RG11/0970/27/7
6 Linfield Cottages
Thomas SACKET, head, married, 32, b. Ramsgate, Kent, gas fitter
Harriet M. SACKET, wife, 31, b. Ramsgate
George E. SACKET, son, 8, b. Faversham, Kent, scholar
Thomas A. SACKET, son, 7, b. Faversham, scholar
John S. SACKET, son, 5, b. Faversham, scholar
Elizabeth K. SACKET, dau, 3, b. Faversham
Alma S. SACKET, dau, 1, b. Faversham.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, 14 Kingsnorth Road, Faversham, Kent
Thomas Sackett, head, married, 42, gas fitter (lock), b. Ramsgate, Kent
Harriet Sackett, wife, 41, b. Ramsgate
George E Sackett, son, unm., 18, apprent. blacksmith, b. Faversham, Kent
Thomas A Sackett, son, unm., 17, gas fitter's assist. (lock), b. Faversham
John S Sackett, son, 15, grocer, b. Faversham
Elizabeth H Sackett, dau, 13, scholar, b. Faversham
Alma Sackett, dau, 11, scholar, b. Faversham
Harriet C Sackett, dau, 9, scholar, b. Faversham
William J Sackett, son, 6, scholar, b. Faversham
Kate M Sackett, dau, 4, scholar, b. Faversham
Lily C Sackett, dau, 6m, b. Faversham.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, 4 Grange Road, St John's, Margate, Kent
George E SACKETT, head, 28, blacksmith (worker), b. Faversham, Kent
Rosa SACKETT, wife, 28, b. Canterbury, Kent
Harriet M SACKETT, dau, 7, b. Faversham
Kate Hilda SACKETT, dau, 5, b. Margate
John T SACKETT, son, 3, b. Margate
George W SACKETT, son, 9m, b. Margate
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 26 Hastings Avenue, Margate, Kent
George Sackett, head, 38, married, grocer's porter, worker, b. Faversham, Kent
Rosa Sackett, wife, 38, m. 18y, 7 ch, all living, b. Canterbury, Kent
Harriet Sackett, dau, 17, b. Faversham, Kent
John Sackett, son, 13, school, b. Margate
George Sackett, son, 10, school, b. Margate
Rosa Sackett, dau, 5, b. Ramsgate, Kent
William Sackett, son, 3, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Thomas Sackett, son, 2, b. Margate.
- "Britain, Trade Union membership registers", digital image, Findmypast, "Sackett, George Edward, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Canterbury branch, 4 May 1917, age 45, temporary porter, railway SE&C."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Thomas of 6 Princes-crescent Margate died 1 August 1923 Administration Canterbury 6 October to George Edward Sackett blacksmith. Effects £142 14s. 10d."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 7 Beatrice Road, Margate M B, Kent: RG101/1754F/023/6, William J Sackett, b. 6 Jun 1907, married, public works contractors labourer, heavy worker; RG101/1754F/023/7, Lillian G Sackett, b. 6 Oct 1914, married, unpaid domestic duties; RG101/1754F/023/9, George E Sackett, b. 19 Apr 1872, married, old age pensioner; RG101/1754F/023/10, Rose Sackett, b. 21 Aug 1872, married, old age pensioner; & 3? closed records.
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||29 Mar 2017|