George Fegen Sackett
|Father||George Robert Sackett (1854-1916)|
|Mother||Caroline Edith Pillow (1852 or 1853-)|
In 1901 George was living at 7 Effingham Street, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of his parents George and Caroline, and was recorded in the census as George F Sackett, aged seven and born in Ramsgate.13
In 1911 he was living at 30 Camden Square, RamsgateG, in the household of his parents George and Caroline, and was recorded as George Fegen Sackett, a grocer, aged 17 and born in Ramsgate.14
George served in the British Army during the First World War as a Private in the Army Service Corps. He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal in recognition of active service overseas. He enlisted on 26 June 1915, served in France from 11 August 1915, and was awarded the 1915 Star. He was discharged on 31 July 1917 due to sickness. He was granted a Silver War Badge, to be worn with civilian clothes to indicate that he had been honourably discharged because of illness or injury.15,16,17
In 1921 he was living at 16 Upper Dumpton Park Road, RamsgateG, and was recorded as George Sackett, head of household, aged 27. He was unable to work at the date of the census as he was undergoing medical treatment. Living with him were his wife Laura, 28, and their children, Joan, 6, and Douglas, aged one.18
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, George and Laura were living at 7 Mill Cottages, Ramsgate, KentG. George was a motor driver and cleaner.19
Children of George Fegen Sackett and Laura Louisa Revell
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1893. Sackett, George Figgins. Mother: Pillow. Thanet. 2a:877."
- 1939 Register.
- Baptisms Register, St Mary, Ramsgate, Kent, "20 October 1893 George Figgins s. George Robert & Caroline Edith Sackett, 5 Leopold Street, general porter."
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006" (Findmypast transcript), "Sep qtr 1978. Sackett, George Fegen, b. 9 Sep 1893. Thanet. 16:1709."
- The East Kent Times and Mail, Ramsgate, Kent (Newspapers.com image), 4 Oct 1978, p 16, "Sackett — On 29th September 1978, at home, George, beloved husband of Amy (nee Martin), father of Douglas, Gordon, Joan and Joyce, peacefully aged 85 years. Sadly missed."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1915. Sackett, George F. Spouse: Revell. Thanet. 2a:1770."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1915. Revell, Laura L. Spouse: Sackett. Thanet. 2a:1770."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1892. Revell, Laura Louisa. Mother: Lay. Pancras. 1b:56."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1962. Sackett, Laura L, 69. Thanet. 5b:725."
- Marriages Register, St George, Ramsgate, Kent, "9 October 1965, George Fegen Sackett, 72, widower, chauffeur, of 12 Saith, Eastern Road, Ramsgate, s. of George Robert Sackett, deceased, to Daisy Amy Martin, 66, widow, of 14 Vale Square, Ramsgate, d. of Alfred James Darker, deceased. Banns. Witnesses: J Martin, K L? Davis."
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006" (Findmypast transcript), "Aug 1994. Sackett, Daisy Amy, b. 7 Feb 1899. Thanet. 5751B:B11D:069:894."
- 1901 England census
7 Effingham Street
George Sackett, head, married, 47, licensed general porter, b. Ramsgate
Caroline E Sackett, wife, 57, b. Canterbury, Kent [?age]
Ada C Sackett, dau, single, 19, mothers help domestic, b. Ramsgate
Emily J Sackett, dau, 17, dressmakers improver, worker, b. Ramsgate
Florence B Sackett, dau, 14, b. Ramsgate
William F Sackett, son, 10, b. Ramsgate
George F Sackett, son, 7, b. Ramsgate
Albert E Sackett, son, 4, b. Ramsgate
Herbert W Pillow, bro-in-law, single, 59, paperhanger, worker, b. Canterbury
Marian Strickland, boarder, single, 28, manageress fancy bazaar, b. Clapham, London.
- 1911 England census
30 Camden Square, Ramsgate, Kent
George Robert Sackett, head, 58, married, licensed porter, own account, b. Ramsgate
Caroline Edith Sackett, wife, 48, m. 30y, 6 ch, all living, b. Canterbury, Kent
Ada Sackett, dau, 29, single, b. Ramsgate
Emily Sackett, dau, 27, single, dressmaker, own account, b. Ramsgate
William Sackett, son, 20, single, fishmonger, worker, b. Ramsgate
George Fegen Sackett, son, 17, grocer, worker, b. Ramsgate
Albert Edward Sackett, son, 16, outfitter, b. Ramsgate.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards" (Findmypast transcript).
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, George Fegen, Private, Army Service Corps, service no. M2/114690, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1915 Star, Silver War Badge, Theatre of War France entry 11 Aug 1915, discharged 31 Jul 1917. WO372/17."
- "Silver War Badge Roll, 1914–1920" (Findmypast image), "Sackett, George Fegen, rank Private, no. M2/114690, A.S.C. M.T., enlisted 26 Jun 1915, discharged 31 Jul 1917, age on discharge 23, cause Sickness Para. of King's Regulation 392 (xvi) Army Order 265 of 1917 2 (b), served overseas Yes, badge no. 294420, issued 2 Jan 1918."
- 1921 England census
16 Upper Dumpton Park Road, Ramsgate, Kent
George Sackett, head, 27y 9m, married, b. Ramsgate, Kent, unable to work, undergoing medical treatment
Laura Sackett, wife, 28y 7m, married, b. King's Cross, London, home duties
Joan Sackett, daughter, 6y 1m, b. Broadstairs, Kent
Douglas Sackett, son, 1y 2m, b. Ramsgate, Kent
[+ visitors George & Ivy Preston & son Frank].
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Sackett household, 7 Mill Cottages, Ramsgate M B, Kent: RG101/1766H/019/28, George F Sackett, b. 9 Sep 1893, married, odd motor driving & cleaning; RG101/1766H/019/29, Laura L Sackett, b. 1 Nov 1892, married, unpaid domestic duties; & 4 closed records.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||9 Mar 2023|