Ivy Florence Annie Sackett
|Father||Percy Ernest Sackett (1877-1910)|
|Mother||Rose (Hoare) Harlow (c 1878-)|
In 1911 Ivy was living at 3 New Ruttington Lane, Canterbury, KentG, in the household of her widowed mother Rose, and was recorded in the census as Ivy Florence Sackett, aged three and born in Canterbury.8
At the age of 14 Ivy emigrated from England to Canada. She sailed from London on the SS Minnedosa on 16 September 1921, arriving at Québec on 28 September. Her resettlement was arranged and paid for by Dr Barnardo's Homes. She was to continue her schooling in Canada but the object in going to Canada was stated on the passenger declaration to be "for domestic work." Her destination address was "c/o Mrs Hobday, Hazel Brae, Peterboro', Ontario."9
Ivy is the oldest recorded Sackett.
Child of Ivy Florence Annie Sackett and William Garnet "Bill" Alger
- William Beverly "Bev" Alger d. 1995
ALGER, Ivy Florence Annie—Ivy passed away peacefully at St. Joseph's Health Centre, Guelph at the age of 108 on Thursday, April 23, 2015, with her family and pastor by her side.
Daughter of the Sackett family of England.
Beloved wife of 68 years to the late William (Bill) Alger (1998). Also predeceased by her children, two at birth and William (Bev) (1995). Loved mother-in-law of Velma. Loving grandmother of Paul (Trudy), Mark and Gary (Sandy). A cherished great grandma to Cherri (Chad), Justin (Leah), Corina, Jenna (Johnny), Mike and Jamie. A great great grandma of seven loving children, all of Guelph. Over the decades, Ivy was employed at the Guelph Pickle Factory and the Board of Education (Victory Public School). Ivy was always an active member at her Baptist churches, now Royal City Baptist Church. The family would like to thank all of the caregivers at St. Joseph's Health Centre (Guelph) for all the love and care she received. Friends will be received at the Wall-Custance Funeral Home & Chapel, 206 Norfolk St., Guelph, Sunday (2-4 p.m.) Funeral service will be held at Royal City Baptist Church, 100 Ridgewood Ave., Guelph on Monday, April 27, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. Reception to follow in the church hall. Interment Memory Gardens, Breslau. In memory of Ivy, we ask that you consider donating to the Royal City Baptist Church.
A tree will be planted in memory of Ivy F. A. Alger in the Wall-Custance Memorial Forest, University of Guelph Arboretum. Dedication service, Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 2:30 pm.
|Sackett line||9th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|See also||Notable Sacketts timeline|
|Appears in||Notable Sacketts|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1907. Sackett, Ivy Florence Annie. Mother: Hoare. Canterbury. 2a:998."
- Email from Sandy Alger to Chris Sackett, April 2013.
- Baptisms Register, St Mildred, Canterbury, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "22 Dec 1908 Ivy Florence Annie Sackett d. Percy & Rose Sackett, of 1 Black Dog Square, tanner."
- Email from Sandy Alger to Chris Sackett, April 2015.
- "Ontario, Canada, Births, 1869–1913", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Alger, William Garnet, b. 14 Sep 1906, s. Charles F Alger of Cambray, Fenelon, laborer, & Ida O'Brien."
- Obituary of William Garnet Alger, 1998, in possession of Sandy Alger.
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 4335, schedule 91
3 New Ruttington Lane, Canterbury, Kent
Charlotte Williams, head, 44, ["widow" struck through] married, ["m. 14y, no ch." struck through], hawker ["fish" added], own acct, b. Sussex, Peasmarsh
Rose Sackett, boarder, 33, widow, ["m. 11y, 5 ch, 4 living" struck through], charwoman, worker, b. Kent, Chartham
Rose Louisa Sackett, ["daughter" struck through] boarder, 10, school, b. Kent, Folkestone
Percy Ernest Sackett, ["son" struck through] boarder, 7, school, b. Kent, Canterbury
Ivy Florence Sackett, ["daughter" struck through] boarder, 3, school, b. Kent, Canterbury
Robert William Sackett, ["son" struck through] boarder, 2, b. Kent, Canterbury.
- "Canada, Ocean Arrivals, 1919–1924", digital image, Ancestry.com.
|Last Edited||16 February 2020|