Hubert File Sackett
|Father||George File Sackett (1863-1927)|
|Mother||Arabella Leans (c 1864-1958)|
Hubert ran a bakery at Railway Heights, Queanbeyan, AustraliaG, an advertisement in the Canberra Times in 1926 indicating that he specialised in fresh machine-made bread and also made birthday and wedding cakes, offering a daily delivery service in Canberra.3 In the following year he obtained permission to extend his bakery premises at Crawford Street, QueanbeyanG.4
Hubert acted as spokesman for the master bakers of Canberra at an inquiry in 1931 into the price of bread.5
In 1932 Hubert was fined at the Queanbeyan Police Court after pleading guilty to a charge of storing flour in an unclean room.6
Hubert was also a keen horticulturalist and in 1937 and 1938 gave talks and practical demonstrations on the pruning of fruit trees to the Horticultural Society of Canberra.7
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Descendants of Jeremiah Sackett|
Notes & Citations
- "Australia birth index, 1788-1922", database, Ancestry.com, "1898, Hubert F Sackett, s. George F Sackett & Arabella, Murrumburrah, NSW, reg. 14013."
- Website Australia marriage index, 1788-1949 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "1925, Hubert F Sackett & May J Rustin, Queanbeyan, New South Wales, reg. 6906."
- The Canberra Times, (Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia), 16 December 1926, p. 2,
H. F. SACKETT
RAILWAY HEIGHTS, QUEANBEYAN
Specialising in Fresh Machine-Made Bread.
BIRTHDAY AND WEDDING CAKES.
DAILY DELIVERIES IN CANBERRA Phone 225."
- The Canberra Times, (Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia), 13 April 1927, p. 15.
At a meeting of the Municipal Council on Monday night building permits were granted to the following: Sackett Bros., extension to Bakery, Crawford Street. 240 pounds; …."
- The Canberra Times, (Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia), 28 July 1931, p. 2,
Master Bakers' statement.
- The Canberra Times, (Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia), 21 September 1932, p. 4, "Baker Fined."
- The Canberra Times, (Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia), 9 July 1937, p. 6, "Pruning Demonstrations"
30 July 1938, p. 3, "Fruit Tree Pruning."
|Last Edited||22 July 2010|