George File Sackett
|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1836-1918)|
|Mother||Sarah File (1838-1896)|
In 1871 George was living at Townland Green, Woodchurch, KentG, in the household of his parents Jeremiah and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as George F Sackett, aged seven and born in Barham, Kent.8
George emigrated to Australia in 1886, arriving in Sydney from London on the SS Cuzco on 12 March 1886.9,10
George was appointed acting secretary of the Wallendbeen Dairy Company, a butter factory, upon its incorporation in 1893.11
George's store in Wallendbeen was advertised for sale in the Sydney Morning Herald of 6 April 1901. It was one of a number of properties being sold for the account of a deceased mortgagee. George was the sitting tenant of the property, paying a rent of £40 a year. As well as the shop, the property had ten rooms, suggesting this would have been George's home as well as his place of business.12
Children of George File Sackett and Arabella Leans
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Descendants of Jeremiah Sackett
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1863. Sackett, George File. Mother: File. Bridge. 2a:574."
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), 1 October 1927, p. 14,
SACKETT—September 22 1927 at District Hospital Young, George File Sackett dearly loved husband of Arabella Sackett Wallendbeen and father of George, Walter, Edwin (Queensland), Bertha (Mrs J. Symons), Caleb (Young), Hubert (Queanbeyan), Ada (Dulwich Hill) and Dora (R P A Hospital)."
- Website Australia death index, 1787-1985 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "1927, George F Sackett, d. New South Wales, s. Jeremiah Sackett & Sarah, reg. Young, NSW, 15165."
- Website Australia marriage index, 1788-1949 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "1886, George F Sackett & Anabella.
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Monumental inscription on the grave of George File Sackett (Wallendbeen, New South Wales, Australia), "In Loving Memory of/ my beloved husband and our dear father/ George File Sackett/ died 22nd Sept 1927/ aged 64 years/ our loved mother/ Arabella Sackett/ called home 7th Aug 1958/ aged 94 years."
- Information supplied by Sheila Phythian to Chris Sackett, June 2010.
- 1871 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG10, piece 955, folio 56, p 25, GSU roll 827245,
"Townland Green, Woodchurch, Kent
Jeremiah Sackett, head, married, 34, carrier, b. Kent, Hythe
Sarah Sackett, wife, 32, b. Elizabeth Town, New Jersey, America
Alfred B Sackett, son, 8, b. Kent, Barham
George F Sackett, son, 7, b. Kent, Barham
Walter Sackett, son, 6, b. Kent, Barham
Susannah Sackett, dau, 4, b. Kent, Barham
Sarah A Sackett, dau, 3, b. Kent, Barham
Leonard Sackett, son, 2, b. Kent, Barham
Bertha Sackett, dau, 10 mos, b. Kent, Barham
George B File, visitor, married, 25, miller & baker, b. Kent, Barham."
- Website Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists 1839–1923 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "Geo F Sackett, 23, English, arr. Adelaide, Melbourne, & Sydney, 8 Mar 1886, from London, ship Cuzco."
- Website New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists 1826–1922 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "G F Sackett, from Melbourne, to Sydney, arr. 12 Mar 1886, Cuzco, 3rd class & steerage passengers from England, all described as 'laborer'."
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), 14 August 1893, p. 5,
At a meeting of shareholders in the Wallendbeen Dairy Company, which was held to-day at Wallendbeen, the number of shares required to start the butter factory was reported as having been taken up The directors were appointed, and the articles of association are to be printed and the company registered. Mr. G. F. Sackett was appointed acting secretary."
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), 6 April 1901, p. 15,
Wallendbeen Store—of w. boards tenanted by George F. Sackett at £40 per annum. Land 90 feet x 218 feet. It has SHOP, 7 rooms, 3 other rooms and shed." [The store was one of a number of properties to be sold on account of a deceased mortgagee.]
|Last Edited||8 September 2019|