|Father||Ozem Sacket (1736/37-1801)|
|Mother||Mercy Weller (c 1745-1812)|
Ozem was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made at WestfieldG on 26 June 1799. He was left various specified lands.
Ozem made his will in WestfieldG on 13 March 1846. He left his lands or the value thereof to be divided in various proportions of an estimated total value of $2,300. His brothers, Aaron, Warham, and Charles, and sister, Harriet, were each to receive a portion to the value of $500, and seven children of his deceased sister Mercy were to receive in total a portion of $300, this amount to be apportioned variously among them. He left $1 cash to each of six children of his "half-brother" Jonathan. According to Westfield registers of births, Ozem and Jonathan had the same parents, Ozem (Sr) and Mercy. The use of the term half-brother would appear to be a moral judgement based on Jonathan's birth just four months after his parents' marriage, a detail evidently still of significance more than eighty years later.7
Date: 13 Mar 1846.
Proved: 1st Tue of Nov 1846.
Brothers Aaron, Warham, & Charles, & sister Harriett Burt, shares of land in proportion $500 each.
Children of sister Mercy Sackett Brass dec'd, shares of land in proportions: Jared Brass $100, Samuel Brass $50, Elijah Brass $50, Polly Sackett $25, Sophia Sanderson $25, Charlotte Bates $25, Rebecca Bates $25.
Children of half-brother Jona' Sacket: Leicester Sacket, Dudley D Sacket, Loisa? Brown, Rhoda Packard, Huldah Whipple, Julianna Sacket, each $1 cash.
Residue: in proportion to above division of land.
Executors: Nephew Enoch Sacket, Jason Fox the husband of my niece.
Witnesses: Wm G Bates, David Morley, Lyman Root.
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "495. Ozem Sacket, b. in year 1777, d. in year 1846."
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, B:89.
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)", database, American Ancestors, "Sacket, Ozem, s. Ozem & Mercy Wellar, b. Nov. 24, 1777."
- "Baptisms performed in the Church of Christ, Westfield, Massachusetts, 1679–1836", database, American Ancestors, "1790 Sacket, Ozim s. Ozim & Mercy, Nov. 21."
- Vital Records, Westfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, v26, p173, death, "August 28, 1846, Ozam Sackett, male, [marital status blank], 68, farmer, [cause blank], b. Westfield, s. Ozam & ___ Sackett."
- Website Find a Grave.
- "Massachusetts, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1635-1991", digital image, Ancestry.com.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 734|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||4 Dec 2021|