|Father||Solomon Sackett (1748-1823)|
|Mother||Miriam Davis (c 1764-1806)|
Joel was listed in the census in 1830 and 1840 as a householder in Harmony, Chautauqua CountyG.7,8
In 1850 Joel was living in Mina, Chautauqua CountyG, and was recorded in the census as Joel Sacket, a farmer, aged 49 and born in Connecticut. Living with him were his wife Louisa, 48, and their children, Louisa, 16, and Sylvia, aged nine.9
In 1855 he was living in Harmony, Chautauqua CountyG, and was recorded as Joel Sackett, head of household, aged 53 and born in Massachusetts. Living with him were his wife Louisa, 52, and their daughter Sylvia, aged 14.10
In 1860 he was living in HarmonyG and was recorded as Joel Sacket, a farm laborer, aged 59. Living with him were his wife Louisa, 57, and their daughters, Julia, 28, and Sylvia, 19. Also in the household was Dwight Sacket, aged one, whose parents are not identified.11
There were two Joel Sackets of about the same age living in New York State in the adjacent Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties. Both were born in Massachusetts. The Joel Sacket who was married to Louisa Robbins is assumed to have been the Joel Sackett born in Sandisfield, Massachusetts, to Solomon Sackett. The other Joel Sacket, who was married to Sally V ___, is assumed to have been the son of Joel Sacket who died in Turin, Lewis County, New York. A definitive record to confirm the assumption has not been found.
Children of Joel Sackett and Louisa Robbins
Notes & Citations
- Website Vital Records of Sandisfield, Massachusetts, to 1850 (New England Historic Genealogical Society), "Joel, [s. Solomon Sackett & Miriam], born April 12, 1802."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), Sandisfield births "Joel, s. Solomon Sackett & Miriam, born April 12, 1802."
Sandisfield births "Joel, s. Solomon Sackett & Miriam, born 16 Apr 1800."
- Transcriptions of the birth date are doubtful. An image of a handwritten record of Sandisfield births has: "Family of Solomon Sackett. Sackett Enos son of Solomon Sackett and wife Miriam was born Sept 19th 1798. Sackett Joel son to Solomon Sackett and Miriam his wife was born April. Sackett Lucretia daughter to Solomon Sackett & Miriam his wife was born Nov 11th 1803. Sackett Sylva daughter to Solomon Sackett & Miriam his wife was born Oct 11th 1805." The missing part of Joel's birth date is illegible. It has been variously transcribed as 12 Apr 1802 and 16 Apr 1800. A date of 1801 is assumed, to match the year on the gravestone (assuming also that Joel born in Sandisfield, MA, is the same as Joel buried in Blockville, NY.).
- Find a Grave.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sacket, Joel, m. Louisa Robbins, [Apr.] 20, , by Rev. R. Emerson. Norfolk Vital Records, 2:8."
- 1830 United States census
"Joel Sackett, Harmony, Chautauqua County, New York State."
- 1840 United States census
"Joel Sackett, Harmony, Chautauqua County, New York State, 1 m 30-39, 1 f under 5, 3 f 5-9, 1 f 30-39, total 6."
- 1850 United States census
Roll M432_485, p. 299
Mina, Chautauqua, New York
Sacket, Joel, 49, m, farmer, b. CT
Sacket, Loisa, 48, f, b. CT
Sacket, Loisa, 16, f, b. NY
Sacket, Sylva, 9, f, b. NY.
- 1855 New York state census
Harmony, Chautauqua, New York
Frame house, value $50
Joel Sackett, 53, head of household, b. MA, res. Harmony 26y
Louisa Sackett, 52, wife, b. CT, res. Harmony 26y
Sylvia Sackett, 14, daughter, b. Chautauqua, res. Harmony 14y.
- 1860 United States census
Roll M653_731, p 630, FHL film 803731
Harmony, Chautauqua, New York
Sacket, Joel, 59, farm laborer, personal estate $150, b. MA
Sacket, Louisa, 57, b. MA
Sacket, Julia, 28, b. NY
Sacket, Sylvia, 19, b. NY
Sacket, Dwight, 1, b. NY.
|Sackett line||2nd great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Sep 2022|