In 1851 Mary was living in North Gwillimbury, York County, OntarioG, in the household of her husband George Hill, 67, a yeoman, and was recorded in the census as Mary Hill, aged 44 and born in Massachusetts. Living with them were their children, Sarah, 15, Eliza, 13, George Jr, 9, Emma, 8, Joseph, 6, Susan, 5, Albert, 3,
and Charles, aged two.10
In 1861 she was living in East Gwillimbury, York CountyG, in the household of her husband George Hill, 74, a labourer, and was recorded as Mary Hill, aged 54. Living with them were their children, Susan, 14, Albert, 12, and Charles, aged ten.11
In 1871 she was living in King, York CountyG, in the household of her son George and daughter-in-law Christina, and was recorded as Mary Hill, a widow, aged 65.12
Child of Mary Sacket and John Alex McKenzie
- Isobel McKenzie b. 1825
Children of Mary Sacket and George Hill
Notes & Citations
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- "Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869–1948" (Ancestry image), "York, Ontario, Mary Hill, d. 1881, widow, bronchitis, death registered 4 Nov 1881."
- Find a Grave.
- "Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968" (Ancestry image), "11 May 1822, Presbyterian Saint Andrew´s Church, John McKenzie, watchmaker, bachelor, of City of Quebec; & Mary Sacket, spinster, of same place. Banns. By James Harkness, Minister."
- Email from Terry Hill to Mary Volberding, Jun 2021.
- Email from Terry Hill to Chris Sackett, Jun 2021.
- "Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1826–1938" (Ancestry image), "6 Aug 1834, Toronto, York, Ontario, George Hill, of E Gwillimbury; & Mary McKenzie, of Toronto. By licence. Witnesses: John Anderson, ? Anderson."
- Evidence of George's date of birth is conflicting. His gravestone has date of death Jan 10 1863(?) at age 88 yrs, 9(?) ms & 20 days. This would give a date of birth of 21 Mar 1774. Census records have: 1851 age 67 giving dob c1784; 1861 age 74 giving dob c1787.
- 1851 Canada census
North Gwillimbury, York, Canada West (Ontario)
George Hill, yeoman, b. Vermont, of no denomination, 68
Mary Hill, b. Massachusetts, 45
Sarah Hill, b. Canada, 16
Eliza Hill, b. Canada, 14
George Hill Jr, b. Canada, 10
Emma Hill, b. Canada, 9
Joseph Hill, b. Canada, 7
Susan Hill, b. Canada, 6
Albert Hill, b. Canada, 4
Charles Hill, b. Canada, 3.
[Ages are next birthday]
- 1861 Canada census
East Gwillimbury, York, Canada West
Geo Hill, labourer, b. US, Quaker, 75
Mary Hill, b. US, Quaker, 55
Susan Hill, b. Canada, Quaker, 15
Albert Hill, b. Canada, Quaker, 13
Chas Hill, b. Canada, Quaker, 11.
[Ages are next birthday]
- 1871 Canada census
C-9964 p 15
King, York North, Ontario
Hill, George, 30, b. Ont, Prim Meth, farm & carpr, married
Hill, Christina, 28, b. Ont, Prim Meth, married
Hill, Thomas A, 5, b. Ont
Hill, Josephine, 3, b. Ont
Hill, Joseph W, 6/12, b. Ont
Hill, Mary, 65, b. US, widow.
|Last Edited||14 Jun 2021|