Evart John Sackett
|Father||Arthur Monroe Sackett (1871-)|
|Mother||Bertha Desdemona Parsons (1872-)|
In 1900 Evart was living in Irving, Barry County, MichiganG, in the household of his parents Arthur and Bertha, and was recorded in the census as Evart J Sackett, aged four and born in Michigan.9
In 1910 he was living at Gilford Town Avenue, Indianfields, Tuscola County, MichiganG, in the household of his parents Arthur and Bertha, and was recorded as Evart Sackett, aged 14.10
In 1920 he was living at Quinn Avenue, Caro, Tuscola County, MichiganG, and was recorded as Evart J Sackett, a bookkeeper in a factory, aged 23. He and his wife Melba, 18, were living in the household of Melba's grandfather, Nelson Micks, 79, and Melba's mother, De Letta, 50. Evart's mother and sister were living three doors away.11
In 1930 he was living at Robinwood Avenue, Pontiac, Oakland County, MichiganG, and was recorded as Evart J Sackett, a self-employed grocer, head of household, aged 34. He owned his home. Living with him was his wife Melba, 28.12
Evart enlisted in the US Army as a first sergeant in the Coast Artillery Corps, National Guard, at Detroit, MichiganG, on 24 February 1941. He was later promoted to chief warrant officer.13,5
Notes & Citations
- Thurmon King's database, 19340 Evart John Sackett.
- Death record.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Evart Sackett, b. Feb 7, 1896, d. Nov, 1965, SSN 565-50-2876 issued CA, residence unknown."
- Find a Grave.
- "U.S. Veterans Gravesites" (Ancestry transcript), "Evart J Sackett, service info: CWO Army, b. 7 Feb 1896, d. 8 Nov 1965, interment 12 Nov 1965, Arlington National Cemetery, section 37 site 1028."
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952" (Ancestry image), "1 Jan 1920, at Caro, Tuscola County, MI, Evart J J Sackett, 23, of Caro, b. Shelby, bookkeeper, father Art Sackett, mother Bertha Parsons; to Melba Elaine Shader, of Caro, b. Caro, clerk, father Delwain Shader, mother De Letta Micks. Both 1st m. By D S Arnold, clergyman. Witnesses: Bertha Sackett, De Letta Shader, both of Caro."
- "US Consular Reports of Marriages, 1910–1949" (Ancestry image), certificate of witness to marriage, "28 May 1946, at the Naka-ku Registrar's Office, Yokohama, Japan, Evart John Sackett, US citizen, 50, b. Shelby, Michigan, now res. Yokohama; to Emma Louise Carroll, stateless, 33, b. Yokohama, res. Yokohama. Witness: U Alexis Johnson, US Consul."
- 1900 United States census
Roll: 700; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 0043; FHL microfilm: 1240700
Irving, Barry County, Michigan, 20 Jun 1920
Sackett, Arthur M, head, b. Nov 1870, 29, m. 6y, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. NY, teacher, home rented
Sackett, Bertha, wife, b. Apr 1872, 28, m. 6y, 2 ch, both living, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. NY
Sackett, Evart J, son, b. Feb 1896, 4, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Mildred E L, dau, b. Mar 1898, 2, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI.
- 1910 United States census
Roll: T624_676; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 0122; FHL microfilm: 1374689
Gilford Town Ave, Indianfields, Tuscola County, Michigan, 28/29 Apr 1910
Sackett, Arthur M, head, 38, m1. 16y, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI, salesman, selling autos, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, Bertha D, wife, 38, m1. 16y, 2 ch, both living, b. MI father b. MI, mother b. NY
Sackett, Evart, son, 14, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Mildred, dau, 12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI.
- 1920 United States census
Roll: T625_798; Page: 27A; Enumeration District: 190; Image: 476
Quinn Avenue, Caro Village, Indianfields Township, Tuscola County, Michigan, 30/31 Jan 1920
Micks, Nelson, head, home owned on mortgage, 79, wid, imm 1865, nat 1870, b. Canada, father b. Can, mother b. Can
Shader, De Letta, dau, 50, div, b. MI, father b. Can, mother b. PA
Sackett, Evart J, gson-in-law, 23, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI, bookkeeper, factory
Sackett, Melba E, gdau, 18, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. MI.
- 1930 United States census
Roll: 1017; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0054; Image: 536.0; FHL microfilm: 2340752
Robinwood Ave, Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan, 10 Apr 1930
Sackett, Evart J, head, home owned, $5,000, 34, m. at 24, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI, grocer, self-employed
Sackett, Melba, wife, 28, m. at 18, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. NY.
- "US World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938–1946" (Ancestry transcript), "Evart J Sackett, b. MI, 1896, res. Oakland, MI, enlisted 24 Feb 1941, at Detroit, MI, First Sergeant, Coast Artillery Corps, National Guard, educ 1 yr college, civil occ retail manager, separated, with dependents, ht 37 [sic], wt 174."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||18 Oct 2018|