Charles Henry "Chuck" Sackett
|Father||Benjamin Joseph Sackett (1899-1981)|
|Mother||Ruth Millie Spencer (c 1904-1974)|
In 1930 Charles was living at Shunpike Road, Washington, Dutchess County, New York StateG, in the household of his parents Benjamin and Ruth, and was recorded in the census as Charles H Sackett, aged one and born in New York.7
Charles completed a World War II draft registration card on 28 August 1946. He was aged 18 and was employed by Victor J McQuade. He was living in Millbrook, Dutchess County, New York StateG.8
Charles "Chuck" Sackett
POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – Mr. Charles H. "Chuck" Sackett, age 91, went to eternal rest on July 25, 2020, at Vassar Brothers Medical Center after a long illness. Many of his friends called him Chuck, which he preferred. Born on August 28, 1928, he was close to celebrating his 92nd birthday, but God needed him home to celebrate there.
Chuck was predeceased by his first wife, Agnes Donnelly Sackett in 1961; his three brothers, Benjamin, Jimmy and Fred Sackett; two sisters, Anna Sackett Elliot and Edna Sackett Swartz; his son, Charles Joseph Sackett in 2006 who he shared with his second wife, Bernice Sackett who is also predeceased.
Chuck is survived by his brother, Joe Sackett, and his children all of whom he remained close to. His daughters Carolyn Shackelton, Charlene (Gary) Bedell, Sharon (James) Chapman, and Mary Scott; two stepchildren, Raymond and Jackie, and 16 grandchildren, Carrie, Kathy, Bruce, Michelle, Jaime, Jackie, Dale, Lisa, Brad, Tanya, Kristi, Danielle, Amanda, Ryan, Charlie Jr., and Christy as well as many nieces, nephews, and great-grandchildren.
Chuck worked for many years as a master carpenter of which he was proud.
Chuck had many hobbies including golf, cards, hunting, horse-racing, cooking, baking, bird watching and his dogs. He lived life to the fullest.
May God watch over us and give us peace. May the Angels guide him to his new home.
Thank you to all his friends and family that made his life complete.
Calling hours will be from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM, on Friday, July 31, 2020. Funeral services begin at 12:00 PM on Friday, at Sweet’s Funeral Home, Inc., 4365 Albany Post Road, Hyde Park, NY 12538. Burial will follow at Union Cemetery of Hyde Park.
To send an online condolence, or for directions, please visit www.sweetsfuneralhome.com.
—Poughkeepsie Journal, Poughkeepsie, New York, 28 Jul 2020, p A5.
Mrs. Charles Sackett, 32, who had lived in Millbrook since her childhood, died at Sharon Hospital on Friday, December 3. She had been ill for a few months. Mrs Sackett was the former Agnes Donnelly, daughter of Lee Donnelly of Millbrook and Mrs. Margaret Collins Donnelly of Newark, N. Y. She was born in Poughkeepsie on May 1, 1928. She had worked for Dr. Charles Dean before her marriage. Survivors, besides her husband and parents, include four daughters, Carol Ann, Charline, Sharon and Mary; and two brothers, Charles Donnelly of Millbrook and James Donnelly of Newark.
—Millbrook Round Table, 8 Dec 1960.
Notes & Citations
- "New York State, Birth Index, 1881–1942", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Charles H, b. Poughkeepsie, New York, 28 Aug 1928."
- Website Find a Grave.
- "New York State, Marriage Index 1881–1967", digital image, Ancestry.com, "24 Jul 1948, Stanford, New York, Charles H Sackett, certificate 26727." "24 Jul 1948, Stanford, New York, Agnes R Donnelly, certificate 26727."
- "New York State, Birth Index, 1881–1942", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Donnolly, Agnes R, b. Poughkeepsie, New York, 1 May 1928."
- "Connecticut Death Index 1949–2012", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Agnes, d. Sharon, Litchfield, Connecticut, 2 Dec 1960, age 32, married, res. Out of State, New York, spouse Char[les]."
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 1421, p. 3B, Enumeration District 0089, Image 556.0, FHL microfilm 2341156
Shunpike Road, Washington, Dutchess County, New York, 10 Apr 1930
Sackett, Benjamin J, head, 29, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, laborer, farm
Sackett, Ruth M, wife, 25, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Benjamin R, son, 5, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Edna M, dau, 4, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Charles H, son, 1 8/12, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Charles Henry Sackett, Millbrook, Dutchess, New York, age 18, b. Poughkeepsie, New York, 28 Aug 1928, nok Benjamin Sackett, Millbrook, NY, emp Victor J. McQuade, Millbrook, NY, race white, ht 6-0, eyes blue, wt 166, hair brown, complexion ruddy. Reg Rhinebeck, Dutchess, New York, 28 Aug 1946."
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||19 Apr 2022|