Woodie Ray Sackett
|Father||Elisha Winrow Sackett (1872-1960)|
|Mother||Bertha Esther Griffin (1876-1937)|
In 1910 Woodie was living in Liberty, TexasG, in the household of his parents Elisha and Esther, and was recorded in the census as Woodie Sackett, aged three and born in Texas.10
In 1920 he was living in Liberty, TexasG, in the household of his parents Elisha and Esther, and was recorded as Woodie Sackett, aged 14 and born in Texas.11
Woodie completed a World War II draft registration card on 16 October 1940. He was aged 33 and was unemployed. He was living in Dayton, Liberty County, TexasG, with his wife Jane Lissie.12
At her death aged 91 in 2012, Lissie (Billingsley) Sackett was survived by 160 descendants: 8 children, 53 grandchildren, 72 great-grandchildren, and 27 great-great-grandchildren.
In a headon two-car crash on State Highway 146 about 2 miles north of Rye last Saturday, 70-year-old Woodie Ray Sackett of Dayton was fatally injured, while Miss Debra Lynn Ursprung, 26, of Rye, and Sackett's son, Woodie J. Sackett, were both seriously injured.
State Highway Patrolman Earl Morgan, who investigated, reported to Sgt. White that the car driven by young Sackett, in which his father was a passenger, was headed north. The car driven by Miss Ursprung was headed south when the accident happened about 11:55 a.m. Saturday, Morgan reported.
Justice Margaret S. Dunaway of Rye conducted an inquest, and Sterling Funeral Home took charge of Sackett's body.
—The Liberty Vindicator, Liberty, Texas, 10 Feb 1977, p 1.
Woodie R. Sackett
Woodie Ray Sackett. 70, passed away Saturday, February 5, 1977 at Rye, Texas at 11: 55 a.m. He was a lifetime resident ol this area, retired logger and was affiliated with the Protestant Church.
He is survived by five sons, Robert Ray Sackett of Dayton, Dennis Quenton Sackett of Dallas, Texas, Jimmy Dale Sackett of Houston, Texas, Woodie Gerald Sackett and Ricky Joe Sackett both of Dayton; three daughters, Ester Evyonne Boyett. Dennie Lois Cummings and Linda Jean Stephens all of Dayton, Texas; one brother, Charlie Sackett of Conroe, Texas; five sisters: Onie Robinson of Pasadena, Della Wells of Houston, Texas, Maggie Pennington of Galveston, Texas, Dorothy Crenshaw of Galveston, and Juanita Arnold of Dayton, Texas; 21 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.
Services were held Monday, February 7, 1977 at 2: 00 p.m. with the Rev. John Daves officiating, at Sterling Funeral Chapel. Burial was at Ryan Cemetery under the directions of Sterling Funeral Home. Dayton. Texas.
—The Liberty Vindicator, Liberty, Texas, 10 Feb 1977, p 13.
Lissie Jane Billingsley Sackett, 92, of Dayton, died Thursday, February 9, 2012, at the Liberty-Dayton Community Hospital in Liberty.
Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m., Monday, February 13, 2012, at the First Assembly of God Church in Dayton with burial following at Ryan Cemetery in Tarkington Prairie. Visitation will be held from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, at the funeral home. Services are under the direction of Pace-Stancil Funeral Home in Dayton.
Lissie was born January 29, 1920 in Dayton, to parents; Benjamin O. and Sarah E. Ott Billingsley, and has resided in the Dayton area throughout her life. She was a retired nurse's aide from Dayton Memorial Hospital, member of the First Assembly of God Church, and enjoyed quilting, bingo, dancing, flowers, and spending time with family.
Mrs. Sackett was preceded in death by her parents, husband: Woody Ray Sackett, son: O. W. "Buddy" Sackett, daughter: Loretha Laverne Young, grandchildren: Darrell E. Stephens, Carl Ray Sackett, Jerry Barber, Carla D. Young, and Dennis Sacket, Jr., great great-grandchild: Tyler Schneiter, brothers: Elmer, Earl, James E., and J. D. Billingsley, sisters: Eunice Burwick and Sara Franklin, sons-in-law: Glenn Franklin, Bill Boyett, Wallace Stowe, Vernon Stephens, Sr., and Freddy Baker, and daughters-in-law: Patricia Sackett and Debra R. Burks. She is survived by her daughters: Linda Matthews and husband Charlie of Dayton, Bennie Stowe of Dayton, and Evyonne Boyett of Dayton, sons: Woodie G. Sackett and wife Kat of Liberty, Robert Sackett of Liberty, Dennis Sackett and wife Sue of Quinlan, Jimmy Dale Sackett and wife Terry of Dayton, and Ricky Sackett and wife Sammy of Liberty, sister: Alma Long of Jasper, 53 grandchildren, 72 great-grandchildren, 27 great great-grandchildren, and numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives, and friends.
—Unsourced obituary, Find a Grave, Feb 2012.
(Src: Find a Grave, LadyDi 60)
Children of Woodie Ray Sackett and Lissie Jane Billingsley
- Robert Ray Sackett b. 2 Nov 1943, d. 18 May 2022
Notes & Citations
- Find a Grave.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Woodie Sackett, b. Jan 15, 1907, d. Feb, 1977, SSN 460-16-0836 issued TX, residence Dayton, Texas, 77535, county Liberty."
- "Texas, Death Certificates, 1903-1982" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Woodie Ray, d. Hwy 146, 1.7 mi. North of Rye, Precinct 5, Liberty County, 5 Feb 1977, res. 108 South Church, Dayton, Liberty County, TX, b. Bastrop County, Texas, 15 Jan 1907, age 70, logger, father Elisha Winrow Sackett, mother Ester Bertha Griffin, cause massive fractures and lacerations, inst death, passenger in auto involved in wreck, vehicle had head on collision, bur. Ryan Cemetery, Tarkington, Liberty County, Texas, 7 Feb 1977."
- Named as parents on children's birth records.
- Death record.
- "Texas, Birth Index, 1903–1997" (Ancestry image), "Billingsley, Lissie Jane, b. Liberty, Texas, 29 Jan 1921."
- "U.S., Cemetery and Funeral Home Collection, 1847-Current" (Ancestry transcript), "Lissie Jane Billingsley Sackett, d. Liberty, TX, 9 Feb 2012, age 92, b. Dayton, 29 Jan 1920, bur. Tarkington Prairie, father Benjamin Billingsley, mother Sarah."
- 1910 United States census
Roll T624_1573, p. 12B, Enumeration District 0083, FHL microfilm 1375586
Justice Precinct 3, Liberty, Liberty County, Texas, 27 Apr 1910
Sackett, E W, head, 40, m1. 19y, b. IL, father b. US, mother b. US, farmer, home farm, rented
Sackett, Esther, wife, 34, m1. 19y, 6 ch, 5 living, b. KS, father b. WI, mother b. MO
Sackett, Charlie, son, 16, b. KS, father b. IL, mother b. KS
Sackett, Nettie, dau, 15, b. AR, father b. IL, mother b. KS
Sackett, Jakie, son, 13, b. KS, father b. IL, mother b. KS
Sackett, Anie, dau, 6, b. OK, father b. IL, mother b. KS
Sackett, Woodie, son, 3, b. TX, father b. IL, mother b. KS.
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_1829, p. 23B, Enumeration District 129, Image 761
Justice Precinct 5, Liberty, Texas, 5 Feb 1920
Sackett, E W, head, home rented, 54, b. TX, father b. OH, mother b. US, farmer, own account
Sackett, Ester, wife, 49, b. KS, father b. TX, mother b. US
Sackett, Charlie, son, 27, b. KS, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Nettie, dau, 25, b. AR, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Jake, son, 23, b. KS, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Ana, dau, 16, b. OK, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Woodie, son, 14, b. TX, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Della, dau, 9, b. OK, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Maggie, dau, 7, b. OK, father b. TX, mother b. KS
Sackett, Dottie, dau, 4, b. TX, father b. TX, mother b. KS.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry image), "Woodie Ray Sackett, Dayton, Liberty, Texas, age 33, b. Bantrop County, Texas, 15 Jan 1907, nok Mrs Jane Lissie Sackett, wife, emp. none, race white, ht 5' 4", eyes blue, wt 128, hair red, complexion light. Reg Dayton, Liberty, Texas, 16 Oct 1940."
|Appears in||Sackett snippets|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||5 Jun 2022|