|Father||John Sackett (1784-1864)|
|Mother||Cornelia Olmstead (c 1812-)|
In 1850 Whitman was living in GreenwichG in the household of his parents John and Cornelia, and was recorded in the census as Whitman Sackett, aged eleven and born in Connecticut.3
In 1860 he was living in GreenwichG in the household of his parents John and Cornelia, and was recorded as Whitman Sackett, a boatman, aged 22.4
Whitman served in the US Civil War in the 17th Connecticut Volunteers. He enlisted on 11 August 1862, was promoted Corporal in 1864 and Sergeant in 1865, and was mustered out on 19 July 1865.2,5
Notes & Citations
- Thurmon King's database, 19276 Whitman Sackett.
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), 17:35, Inscription, Putnam Cemetery, Greenwich, Fairfield County, "Sackett, Whitman, Co I 17th Conn Vol, Civil War, died Oct 20, 1908, age 70."
- 1850 United States Federal Census
Roll 38, p 194a
Greenwich, Fairfield, Connecticut
Sackett, John, 62, real estate $1600, b. CT
Sackett, Cornelia, 41, f, b. CT
Sackett, Oscar, 18, m, b. CT
Sackett, Julia A., 16, f, b. CT
Sackett, Eleanor C., 14, f, b. CT
Sackett, Whitman, 11, m, b. CT
Sackett, John, 7, m, b. CT
Sackett, Reubenette, 5, f, b. CT
Sackett, Charles, 1, m, b. CT.
- 1860 United States Federal Census
Roll M653_73, p 140, FHL film 803073
Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut
Sackett, John, 76, real estate $8000, personal estate $300, b. CT
Sackett, Cornelia, 48, b. CT
Sackett, Whitman, 22, boatman, b. CT
Sackett, John, 18, boatman, b. CT
Sackett, Reubinett, 15, b. CT
Sackett, Charles, 12, b. CT.
- Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion (Hartford, Conn: Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, 1889), History of the Seventeenth Regiment CV Infantry, 660, Company I, Sergeants, "Sackett, Whitman, of Greenwich, enlisted Aug 11, '62, mustered Aug 28, '62. Must. Priv. Pro. Corp. Sep 1, '64; Sergt, June 8, '65. M.o. July 19, '65."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||22 Dec 2022|