James Harry Sackett
|Father||William B Sackett (1900-1950)|
|Mother||Marie M Menchaca (1897-1979)|
In 1930 James was living at Fort Clark, Kinney County, TexasG, in the household of his parents William and Marie, and was recorded in the census as James Sackett, aged eight and born in Texas.6
James was a career soldier. He enlisted in the US Army in 1940 and saw service in the Second World War. He enlisted in the US Air Force in 1948, rising to the rank of major and serving until 1963, including service in the Korean War.1,7,8
Notes & Citations
- Website Find A Grave.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index", database, American Ancestors, "James H Sackett, b. Sep 4, 1921, d. Sep 21, 1998, SSN 460-12-9652 issued TX, residence Washington, District Of Columbia, 20020, county District Of Columbia."
- Website Arlington National Cemetery (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/), gravestone inscription "James Harry Sackett Sr. / Maj US Air Force / World War II / Korea / Sep 4 1921 / Sep 24 1998"
Back "Beatrice Elizabeth His Wife / June 23 1921 / Mar 21 2014 / Beloved Mother / Grandmother / Our Beatty."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index", database, Ancestry.com, "Dec qtr 1944. Sackett, James H. Spouse: Jefcoate. Marylebone. 1a:1083."
"Dec qtr 1944. Jefcoate, Beatrice C. Spouse: Sackett. Marylebone. 1a:1083."
- Website Find A Grave, Obituary (researched by Ted Smith).
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 2367, p. 6B, Enumeration District 0003, Image 666.0, FHL microfilm 2342101
Fort Clark, Kinney Countyy, Texas, 8/9 Apr 1930
Sackett, William B, head, 29, m. at 20, b. FL, father b. N Ireland, mother b. England, soldier, US Army
Sackett, Marie, wife, 30, m. at 19, b. TX, father b. TX, mother b. TX
Sackett, Helen, dau, 10, b. TX, father b. FL, mother b. TX
Sackett, James, son, 8, b. TX, father b. FL, mother b. TX
De Gress, Antonia, mother-in-law, 65, wid, m. at 27, b. TX, father b. Mexico, mother b. Mexico.
- "US World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938–1946", database, Ancestry.com, "James H Sackett, b. Texas, 1921, res. Kinney, Texas, enlisted 14 Aug 1940 at Fort Clark Brackettville, branch Quartermaster Corps, grade Private, 3-yr enlistment, educ 4 yrs high school, civil occ semiskilled occupations in production of beverages, single, without dependents, ht 67, wt 125."
- "US Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, James, b. 4 Sep 1921, d. 21 Sep 1998, branch AF, enlisted 18 Sep 1948, released 31 Oct 1963."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2018|