Sir Richard Burton
|Father||Sir John Burton|
In 1861 Richard's widow Elizabeth was living at Sackett's Hill, St Peter in ThanetG, and was recorded in the census as Elizbth Burton, widow of a knight, head of household, aged 78 and born in St Peter's. Her daughter, May/Mary?, 57, and a six-year-old boy were visiting. There were four servants: cook, housemaid, coachman, and footman.12
Sir Richard was an Equerry to King William IV, by whom he was styled 'The First Gentleman of Thanet'. When the King came over from Hanover from time to time and landed at Broadstairs or Ramsgate, Sir Richard met His Majesty and put him up at Sackett's Hill House.11
(Note: Sir Richard Burton of Sackett's Hill House was not the same as, nor related to, the more famous Sir Richard Francis Burton, the Victorian explorer and translator who, among much else, brought the Kama Sutra to publication in English. An error of identity in the local Thanet Gazette in 1916 was corrected in a letter from Colonel Burton-Brown, grandson of the Sackett's Hill Sir Richard.)11
|See also||Sackett's Hill gallery.|
Notes & Citations
- John Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, Henry Colburn, London (1838).
- "Oxford Journal", digital image, Findmypast, 8 Sep 1855, "Died. Sept. 2, at his residence, Sacketts Hill House, St. Peter's, Thanet, Sir Richard Brton, in his 83rd year."
- "Yorkshire Gazette", digital image, Findmypast, 8 Sep 1855, "Death of Sir Richard Burton.—This venerable knight died on Monday, the 3rd inst., at his residence, Sackett's-hill House, Margate, in the Isle of Thanet. Sir Richard Burton was son of Sir S. Burton, Knight, of Wakefield, in this county, and was born in 1773. He married, in 1802, the only daughter of the late R. Crofts, Esq., of Dumpton House, near Broadstairs, Isle of Thanet."
- "Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser", digital image, Findmypast, 8 Sep 1855, "On the 3rd inst., at his residence, Sackett's-hill House, Margate, in the Isle of Thanet, Sir Richard Burton, Knight."
- Burials Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "Richard Burton, of Sackett's Hill, Sept 8th, age 82, by Jn Hooper."
- Marriages Register, St Peter's Church, Thanet, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "Richard Burton, of St Ann's Soho in the County of Midx & Diocese of London, Batchr, and Elizth Crofts of this parish, Spinster, a Minor, were married by license and wth the consent of -?- Crofts her lawful mother, 2 April 1802, by John Pigott vicar. Witnesses: John Bushell, Francis Forster."
- "Kentish Gazette, Kent", digital image, Findmypast, 11 May 1852.
- "West Kent Guardian", digital image, Findmypast, 10 Jan 1846, "Ramsgate.—Sir Richard and Lady Burton, of Sackett's Hill House, have, according to their annual custom, been making their poorer neighbours happy by distributing amongst them, bread, meat, and a large quantity of wearing apparel. Upwards of 200 people have been relieved by their benefactions to the poor. The inmates of the alms-houses of the village were also regaled with roast beef, plum pudding, and strong ale, in the old English style."
- "Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Yorkshire", digital image, Findmypast, 1 Nov 1865, "Deaths.—At her residence, Sackett's-hill House, St. Peter's, Isle of Thanet, Dame Elizabeth, relict of Sir Richard Burton, in the 83rd year of her age."
- Isle of Thanet Gazette, (Kent), Margate Library, Kent.
- 1861 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Sackett's Hill, St Peter's, Kent
Elizbth Burton, head, wid, 78, widow of Night [sic], b. Kent, St Peter's
Mry? Burton, dau, wid, 57, visitor, b. Devonshire
-?- Vale?, visitor, 6, b. Herefordshire
Sary? Fagg, servant, unm, 34, cook, b. Margate
Sary Cluste?, servant, unm, 27, house maid, b. Hythe
Thos -?-, servant, unm, 36, coach man?, b. Ash
Geo Gillett, servant, unm, 32, foot man?, b. Canterbury.
|Last Edited||10 May 2020|