|Father||William Sackett (c 1840-1886)|
|Mother||Mary Ann Greenwood (c 1839-1933)|
William was born before the marriage of his mother Mary Greenwood to his supposed father William Sackett. He appears in records in both names, and his son Charles was recorded as both Greenwood and Sackett in the register when he married in 1908. A present-day descendant recalls that the Greenwoods often referred to themselves as Sacketts in conversation.
In 1861 William was living at 14 Cavendish Street, BrightonG, and was recorded in the census as William Greenwood, aged one and born in Brighton. He was living with his mother Mary in the household of his grandparents Henry and Sarah Greenwood.7
In 1871 he was living at 24 Artillery Row, Westminster, LondonG, in the household of his parents William and Mary, and was recorded as William Sackett, aged 11 and born in Brighton.8
In 1881 he was living at 15 Sea Grave Road, Fulham, LondonG, and was recorded as William Sacket, a hostler, head of household, married, aged 22. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 21, and their daughter Sarah R, aged one. There were also five lodgers in the household.9
In 1891 he was living at 23 Hannell Road, Fulham, LondonG, and was recorded as Wm Greenwood, a stableman, head of household, aged 33. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 31, and their children, William, 9, Annie, 7, Charles, 5, John, 2, and Mary, aged three months.10
In 1901 he was living at 20 Werley Avenue, Fulham, LondonG, in the household of his brother John Sackett, and was recorded as William Greenwood, horsekeeper, a visitor, married, aged 45. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 45, and their children, Annie, 18, Charles, 15, John, 13, Mary, 10, Sidney, 5, Rosina, 3, and George, aged five months.11
In 1911 he was living at 41 Church Path, Lillie Road, Fulham, LondonG, and was recorded as William Greenwood, a horsekeeper, head of household, aged 50. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 51, and their children, Sarah Rosina, 32, William Greenwood, 30, Annie Maud, 28, Charles, 25, John, 22, Mary, 20, Rosina May, 18, Sidney, 16, Rosina, 13, George, 11, Thomas, 9, and Louisa, aged seven. The census form was completed by Mary Greenwood, and she included all children of the family. Three of the children, William, Annie Maud, and Charles, were married and living in their own households.12
Children of William Greenwood/Sackett and Sarah Savage
- Sarah Rosina Greenwood/Sackett b. c 1880
- William Greenwood/Sackett b. c 1881
- Annie Maud Greenwood/Sackett b. c 1882
- Charles Greenwood/Sackett b. 23 Feb 1886, d. 1952
- John Greenwood/Sackett b. c 1887
- Mary L Greenwood/Sackett b. c 1890
- Rosina May Greenwood b. 1893
- Sidney Greenwood b. c 1895
- Rosina Greenwood b. c 1897
- George W Greenwood b. 1900
- Thomas Greenwood b. c 1901
- Sarah Louisa Greenwood b. 1904
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1859. Greenwood, William. [Mother not named: assume registered in mother's surname.] Brighton. 2b:199."
- Copy birth certificate of William Greenwood, born 5 November 1859, registered in the Registration District of St Peter, Brighton, Sussex, "5 Nov 1859, at 9 Devonshire? Street, William s. of Mary Greenwood, of 9 Devonshire? Street, Brighton."
- "England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538–1975" (Ancestry transcript), Register of Baptisms, St John's, Brighton, Sussex, "18 Aug 1861, William Greenwood s. Mary Greenwood."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1934. Sackett, William, 73. Bromley."
- "London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932" (Ancestry image), Register of Marriages, St Saviour's, Battersea, Surrey, "16 Nov 1879, William Greenwood, 21, bachelor, horsekeeper, of 42 Parkside Street, father William Greenwood poultryman; and Sarah Savage, 19, spinster, of 42 Parkside Street, father Charles Savage mason. By Samuel Gilbert Scott. Witnesses: Charles Savage, Mary Sackett."
- 1861 England census
RG9, piece 592, folio 105, p. 11, GSU roll 542667
14 Cavendish Street, Brighton, Sussex
Henry Greenwood, head, married, 46, chairman (sedan), b. Sussex, Brighton
Sarah Greenwood, wife, 45, washing, b. Sussex, Brighton
Mary Greenwood, dau, married , 22, servant, b. Sussex, Brighton
William Greenwood, grandson, 1, b. Sussex, Brighton.
- 1871 England census
RG10, piece 121, folio 30, p. 9, GSU roll 838769
24 Artillery Row, Westminster, London
William Sackett, head, married, 30, costermonger, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Mary Sackett, wife, 32, b. Sussex, Brighton
William Sackett, son, 11, b. Sussex, Brighton
John W Sackett, son, 5, b. Kent, Ramsgate.
- 1881 England census
FHL 1341016, PRO RG11/0072/15/24
15 Sea Grave Road, Fulham, London, Middlesex
William Sacket, head, married, 22, b. Brighton, Sussex, hostler
Sarah Sacket, wife, 21, [birthplace not given]
Sarah R. Sacket, dau, 1, b. Fulham, Middlesex
George Bryant, lodger, unmarried, 20, b. railway porter
Barton Helliwell, lodger, unmarried, 28, b. Todmorden, Lancashire, ironmongers assistant
Joseph H. Smith, lodger, unmarried, 28, b. Trawden, Lancashire, rails ticket inspector
Alfred Hinder, lodger, unmarried, 28, b. Swindon, Wiltshire, rivetor (boiler mfr)
Mary A. Johnson, lodger, unmarried, 23, b. America, laundress.
- 1891 England census
RG12; Piece: 48; Folio: 149; Page: 54
23, Hannell Road, Fulham, London
Greenwood, Wm, head, married, 33, stableman, b. Sussex, Brighton
Greenwood, Sarah, wife, 31, b. London, Westminster
Greenwood, Wm, son, 9, scholar, b. Fulham
Greenwood, Annie M, dau, 7, scholar, b. Fulham
Greenwood, Chas, son, 5, scholar, b. Fulham
Greenwood, Mary L, dau, 3/12, b. Fulham
Greenwood, John, son, 2, b. Fulham.
- 1901 England census
20 Werley Avenue (St Peter's)
John Sackett, head, married, 35, cab driver, worker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Jessie Sackett, wife, 35, b. Kensington, London
Henry Sackett, son, 11, b. Fulham
Jessie Sackett, dau, 9, b. Fulham
Hilda Sackett, dau, 3, b. Fulham
Walter Sackett, son, 3 months, b. Fulham
Sarah Greenwood, visitor, married, 45, b. Brighton, Sussex
William Greenwood, visitor, married, 45, horsekeeper, worker, b. Brighton
Annie Greenwood, visitor, single, 18, charwoman, worker, b. Fulham
Charles Greenwood, visitor, 15, coal porter, worker, b. Fulham
John Greenwood, visitor, 13, b. Fulham
Mary Greenwood, visitor, 10, b. Fulham
Sidney Greenwood, visitor, 5, b. Fulham
Rosina Greenwood, visitor, 3, b. Fulham
George W Greenwood, visitor, 5 months, b. Fulham.
- 1911 England census
RG14; Piece: 313
41 Church Path, Lillie Road, Fulham, London SW
William Greenwood, head, 50, m. 32y, horsekeeper, b. Brighton
Sarah Greenwood, wife, 51, 12 ch, all living, b. Westminster
Sarah Rosina Greenwood, dau, 32, b. Fulham
William Greenwood, son, 30, m. 12y, coalporter carman, b. Fulham
Annie Maud Greenwood, dau, 28, m. 8y, b. Fulham
Charles Greenwood, son, 25, m. 4y, coalman carman, b. Fulham
John Greenwood, son, 22, single, woodchopper firewood, b. Fulham
Mary Greenwood, dau, 20, single, laundryhand, b. Fulham
Rosina May Greenwood, dau, 18, b. Fulham
Sidney Greenwood, son, 16, van boy, b. Fulham
Rosina Greenwood, dau, 13, school, b. Fulham
George Greenwood, son, 11, b. Fulham
Thomas Greenwood, son, 9, b. Fulham
Louisa Greenwood, dau, 7, b. Fulham.
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||28 Feb 2019|