Arthur Henry Sackett
|Father||Barzillai Sackett (1844-1918)|
|Mother||Sarah Walker Harlow (1842-1922)|
(Picture: Isle of Thanet Gazette, 24 April 1926, researched by Sue Tazey)
In 1871 Arthur was living at 4 Northwood Lane, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Arthur H Sackett, aged 1 and born in St Lawrence, son of Barzilla Sackett.4
In 1881 he was living at 1 Northwood, St Lawrence in ThanetG, and was recorded as Arthur H Sackett, a scholar aged 11 and born in St Lawrence, son of Barzilla Sackett.5
In 1891 he was living at Chilton Farm, St Lawrence, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded as Arthur Sackett, a farmer, head of household, single, aged 21. His sister Rosie, 18, was also living at the farm as the housekeeper.6
In 1901 he was living at East Northdown Farm, Northdown, St Johns, Margate, KentG, and was recorded as Arthur Sackett, unmarried, a farmer's son, aged 32 and born in Ramsgate, Kent, the son of Barzillai Sackett.7
In 1911 he was living at East Northdown, Margate, KentG, in the household of his parents Barzillai and Sarah, and was recorded as Arthur Sackett, a farmer, single, aged 40 and born in St Peter's.8
The circumstances of Arthur's death were somewhat mysterious. He was last seen on 22 April 1925 when he left his house at Rancorn Road, Margate, to go for an evening walk on the cliffs. No body was ever found and he was declared legally dead a year later when the matter of his estate came before the probate court. Arthur had inherited £20,000 in 1918 from his father.9
Administration of Arthur's estate was granted on 6 July 1926 to his sister Rosie, her husband Ernest Pottinger and their son Eric Quested. The estate was valued at £10,398.10
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1869. Sackett, Arthur Henry. Mother: Harlow. Thanet. 2a:796."
- Baptisms Register, St George, Ramsgate (Transcript), "27 September 1869 Arthur Henry s. Barzillai & Sarah Walker Sackett, Northwood, St Lawrence, farmer."
- Source not recorded. Not found in GRO deaths index.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/997/f73v
4 Northwood Lane, St Lawrence, Kent
Barzilla Sackett, head, married, 27, farmer 25 acres empl 1 man, b. St Lawrence
Sarah Sackett, wife, 28, b. Minster, Kent
Vincent A Sackett, son, 3, b. St Lawrence
Arthur H Sackett, son, 1, b. St Lawrence.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341235, PRO RG11/0990/68/36(1)
St Lawrence, Kent
Barzilla Sackett, head, married, 37, b. St Laurence, Kent, farmer of 34 acres employs 3 labourers
Sarah Sackett, wife, 38, b. Minster, Kent
Vincent A Sackett, son, 13, b. St Laurence, scholar
Arthur H Sackett, son, 11, b. St Laurence, scholar
Rose E Sackett, dau, 8, b. St Laurence, scholar
Florence E Sackett, dau, 7, b. St Laurence, scholar
Emily A Sackett, dau, 4, b. St Laurence.
- 1891 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG12, Piece 733, Folio 20, p. 3, GSU roll 6095843
Chilton Farm, St Lawrence, Ramsgate, Kent
Arthur Sackett, head, single, 21, farmer, b. Ramsgate
Rosie Sackett, sister, single, 18, housekeeper, b. Ramsgate.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, 820/7
East Northdown Farm, Northdown, St Johns, Margate, Kent
Barzillai Sackett, head, M, 57, farmer, employer, b. St Peter's, Kent
Sarah Sackett, wife, M, 58, b. Minster, Kent
Arthur Sackett, son, S, 32, farmer's son, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Ada Sackett, dau, S, 23, b. Ramsgate
Bertha Ralph, servt., S, 20, gen serv domestic, b. Cranbrook, Kent.
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, East Northdown, Margate, Kent
Barzillai Sackett, head, 65, married, farmer, b. St Peter's, Kent
Sarah Sackett, wife, 68, m. 44y, 5 ch, all living, b. Minster, Kent
Arthur Sackett, son, 40, single, farmer, b. St Peter's
Ada Sackett, dau, 28, single, b. Ramsgate
Ethel Packman, servant, 18, single, b. Faversham, Kent.
- Isle of Thanet Gazette, (Kent), Margate Library, Kent.
- "England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) 1858–1966", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Arthur Henry of 29 Rancorn-road Westbrook Margate died on or since 22 April 1925 at some place unknown Probate London 6 July 1926 to Ernest Leslie Pottinger Quested gentleman Rosie Ellen Quested (wife of the said Ernest Leslie Pottinger Quested) and Eric George Quested farmer. Effects £10398 16s. 4d."
|Last Edited||16 November 2016|