|Father||Henry Sackett (1815-1906)|
|Mother||Jane Stone (c 1813-1881)|
In 1851 Elizabeth was living at 2 West Northdown, MargateG, in the household of her parents Henry and Jane, and was recorded in the census as Elizabeth Sackett, a scholar, aged 11 [actually 9], and born in Margate.10
In 1861 she was living at Farm House, St John's, MargateG, in the household of her parents Henry and Jane, and was recorded as Elizabeth Sackett, aged 19, and born in Margate.11
Elizabeth's husband Edward left a will which was proved on 14 December 1870 by Elizabeth, her father Henry Sackett, farmer of Northdown, and Thomas Willett, farmer of Northdown, as executors. Effects were valued at under £200.7
In 1871 she was living at Paragon Lodge, St Peter's, KentG, and was recorded as Eliz Layng, head of household, a widow, aged 29. She was of independent means. Also in the household was a female domestic servant.12
In 1881 she was living at Sackett's Farm, St John's, MargateG, in the household of her recently widowed father Henry, and was recorded as Elizabeth Layng, a widow, aged 39, and born in Margate.13
In 1891 she was living at Paragon Lodge, St Peter's, KentG, and was recorded as Elizabeth Tayling, head of household, a widow, aged 45, and born in Margate. Living with her was her widowed father Henry, aged 75. Also in the household was a female domestic servant.14
In 1901 she was living at Paragon Lodge, Crow HillG, in the household of her widowed father Henry, and was recorded as Elizabeth Layng, a widow, living on her own means, aged 59, and born at Northdown, Kent.15
|Appears in||Sackett snippets|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1841. Sackett, Elizabeth. Mother: Stone. Thanet. 5:426."
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "11 July 1841 Elizabeth d. Henry & Jane Sackett, Northdown, yeoman."
- Marriages Register, Holy Trinity, Margate, Kent, "8 December 1864 Edward Layng, full age, widower, surgeon, of Margate, & Elizabeth Sackett, 23, spinster, of Margate, [both signed]. By licence. Fathers: John Layng, farmer; Henry Sackett, farmer. Witnesses: Henry Sackett, Mary Jane Sackett."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1864. Sackett, Elizabeth. Thanet."
- If Edward's age at death was correctly stated as 79, he was 73 when he married Elizabeth Sackett, herself then aged 23. His age given in the 1851 census was 56, which would give an age at marriage of 69.
- "England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) 1858–1966", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Layng Edward. 14 December 1870. The Will with a Codicil of Edward Layng late of Broadstairs in the Isle of Thanet in the County of Kent Surgeon deceased who died 15 November 1870 at Broadstairs aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oaths of Elizabeth Layng of Broadstairs aforesaid Widow the Relict Henry Sackett of Northdown near Margate in the Isle aforesaid Farmer and Thomas Willett of Northdown aforesaid Farmer the Executors. Effects under £200."
- Website England & Wales Death Index, 1837–1915 (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Layng, Edward, 79. Thanet. 2a:484."
- Burials Register, St George's Church, Ramsgate, Kent, database, Ancestry.com, "21 Nov 1870 Edward Layng."
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, 2 West Northdown, Margate, Kent
Henry Sackett, head, married, 36, farmer; 100 acres, 6 labs., b. Kent, Margate
Jane Sackett, wife, 39, b. Kent, Margate
Mary J. Sackett, dau, 13, scholar, b. Kent, Margate
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 11, scholar, b. Kent, Margate
Emma T. Sackett, dau, 6, scholar, b. Kent, Margate
James Johnson, serv., unmarried, 30, ag. lab., b. Kent, Birchington
William Powell, serv., unmarried, 21, ag. lab., b. Kent, St. Peters
Joseph Robin, serv., unmarried, 15, ag. lab., b. Kent, Margate
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/?
Farm House, St John's, Margate, Kent
Henry Sackett, head, married, 44, farmer, 104 acres, 7 men, b. Margate
Jane Sackett, wife, 47, b. Margate
Mary Jane Sackett, dau, 22, b. Margate
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 19, b. Margate
Emma J Sackett, dau, 17, b. Margate.
- 1871 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG10, Piece 998, Folio 65, p. 20, GSU roll 838727
Paragon Lodge, St Peter's, Broadstairs, Kent
Eliz Layng, head, wid, 29, interest from capital, b. Kent, Margate
Isabel E Parker, servant, unm, 21, domestic servant, b. Kent, Greenwich.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341234, PRO RG11/0984/4/1
Margate St John Baptist, Kent
Henry Sackett, head, widower, 65, b. Margate, Kent, farmer employing 8 men
Elizabeth Layng, dau, widow, 39, b. Margate
Isabel E Parker, serv, unmarried, 30, b. Greenwich, Kent, domestic servant
Caroline Chambers, serv, unmarried, 20, b. Ashford, Kent, domestic servant
Herbert Cossum, serv, unmarried, 21, farm serv.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/733/f86
Paragon Lodge, St Peter's, Kent
Elizabeth Tayling, head, widow, 45, housekeeper, b. Margate
Henry Sackett, father, widower, 75, retired farmer, b. Margate
Isabel Parker, serv, unm, 30, dom. general servant, b. Greenwich.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, St Peter's Intra, Kent
Paragon Lodge, Crow Hill, St Peter's (5+ rooms)
Henry Sackett, head, widower, 85, retired farmer, b. Northdown, Kent
Elizabeth Layng, dau, widow, 59, living on own means, b. Northdown, Kent
Minnie Harty, serv, single, 19, domestic, b. Broadstairs, Kent.
|Sackett line||7th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||30 December 2018|