John James Sackett
|Father||Abraham Allen Sackett (1840-1925)|
|Mother||Ellen Hancock (c 1850-1888)|
In 1881 John was living in Thorah, OntarioG, in the household of his parents Abraham and Ellen, and was recorded in the census as John James Sackett, aged six months and born in Ontario.6
In 1891 he was living in Beaverton, OntarioG, in the household of his widowed father Abraham, and was recorded as John James Sacket, aged 12 and born in Ontario.7
In 1911 he was living in Toronto, OntarioG, in the household of his sister Anna and her husband Frank Watts, and was recorded as John Sackett, a railway repair hand, a widower aged 28 and born in Ontario.8
John served in the Canadian Army during the First World War. He enlisted on 27 July 1916 in the 234th Overseas Battalion and was passed fit for service with the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force.9
Child of John James Sackett and Beatrice Mary Jane Wilson
- (unnamed) Sackett b. 22 Jul 1906, d. 25 Jul 1906
Child of John James Sackett and Annie Maud Sharpe
- (stillborn) Sackett b. 7 Aug 1915, d. 7 Aug 1915
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
Notes & Citations
- "Ontario, Canada, Births, 1869–1913", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Thorah, Ontario, 18 Sep 1880, John James Sackett, s. of Abram A Sackett & Ellen Hancock, father a labourer, of Beaverton, informant Abram A Sackett [made mark], reg. 18 Sep 1880."
- Thurmon King's database, 24362 John James Sackett.
- Death record.
- "Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869–1938", digital image, Ancestry.com, "County of Victoria, Division of Lindsay. Sackett, Beatrice Jane, d. Town of Lindsay, 5 Dec 1909, heart failure, b. Tp of Fenelon Aug 1880, 29 yrs, housewife, married, father Josiah Wilson b. England, mother Louisa Rebecca Moynes b. Canada."
- "Ontario, Canada, Marriages", digital image, Ancestry.com, "21 Jun 1913, at York, Ontario, John James Sackett, 33, of Toronto, York County, b. Braintree, Ontario, widower, farmer, Methodist, father Abraham Sackett, mother Ellen Handcock; to Annie Maud Sharpe, 27, of Toronto, Ontario, b. Braintree, Ontario, spinster, father Thomas Sharpe, mother Mary Ann Stevenson. Witnesses: Thomas Sharpe of Toronto, ... of Toronto."
- 1881 Canada census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, FHL 1375881 NA C-13245/133/F/2/10/51
Thorah, Ontario North, Ontario
Abram Sackett, married, English, 40, b. Ontario, labourer, Church of England
Ellen Sackett, English, 28, b. England, Church of England
Lucy Sackett, English, 9, b. Ontario, Church of England
Teressa Sackett, English, 6, b. Ontario, Church of England
Isabella Sackett, English, 4, b. Ontario, Church of England
John James Sackett, English, 1 born: Sep; 6/12, b. Ontario, Church of England
Mary Ann Sackett, English, 3, b. Ontario, Church of England.
- "1891 Canada census", digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T-6357, Family No 39
Beaverton, Ontario North, Ontario, 10 Apr 1891
Sacket, Abraham, 51, wid, b. O, father b. US, mother b. England, CE, hostler
Sacket, Theresa, 17, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE, general servant
Sacket, Ester, 15, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE
Sacket, Mary Ann, 13, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE, general servant
Sacket, John James, 12, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE
Sacket, George, 8, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE
Sacket, Annie, 10, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE
Sacket, Abraham, 6, b. O, father b. O, mother b. England, CE.
- 1911 Canada census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Page 32, Family No: 116
Ward five, Toronto South, Ontario
Watts, Frank M, head, married, b. Mar 1880, 31, England, immigrated 1892, origin English, Canadian national, Baptist, electrician, Tor. railway
Watts, Anna, wife, b. Dec 1882, 28, Ont, origin English, Canadian national, Baptist
Sackett, John, bro-in-law, wid, b. Sept 1879, 31, Ont, origin English, Canadian national, Baptist, repair hand, railway.
- "Canada, Soldiers of the First World War, 1914–1918", digital image, Ancestry.com, "234th Overseas Battalion. Attestation. Sackett, John James, 70 Ford St, Toronto, b. Beaverton, Ont, 16 Sep 1880, machinist, nok Annie Maud Sackett, 70 Ford St, wife. No previous military service. West Toronto, 27 Jul 1916.
 Description of John James Sackett. Apparent age 35 y 10 m, ht 5 ft 8½ ins, complexion medium, eyes hazel, hair black & few grey, religion Methodist, marks cut left eyebrow, scar back right wrist. Passed fit for Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force, 27 Jul 1916, Ravina Barracks."
|Last Edited||30 November 2013|