|Father||Captain Benjamin Sackett (1752-1826)|
|Mother||Phebe Davis (c 1754-1826)|
Daniel and Sarah moved from Stephentown, Rensselaer County, to Troy, in about 1819. Sarah was granted a dismission from the Stephentown Presbyterian church on 25 September 1819 to join the Presbyterian church in Troy.6
Daniel made his will in Troy, New York StateG, on 22 November 1841, naming as sole beneficiary his wife Sarah.7
There were two Daniel Sacketts of about the same age found in Rensselaer County records, and there may be confusion between them. This Daniel Sackett, listed amongst Troy's "prominent citizens" in the History of the City of Troy, died there in 1845. He would appear to be the same Daniel Sackett who played a minor role in the publication in 1823 of the poem, "The Night Before Christmas". The authorship of the poem became a matter of some controversy in the 1840s and Daniel's name appears in the records in a letter to Professor Moore (who probably wrote the poem) from Moore's publisher, Norman Tuttle, of the Troy Sentinel, who wrote, "I understand from Mr. Holley [editor of the Sentinel] that he received it from Mrs. Sackett, the wife of Mr. Daniel Sackett who was then a merchant in this city."8
The other Daniel Sackett, who married Abigail Smith in 1813, is recorded in The Sacketts of America as the son of Benjamin and Phebe (Davis) Sackett. However, the contesting of this Daniel's will by all the then surviving members of Benjamin and Phebe's family would appear to confirm that it was Daniel Sackett, the merchant of Troy, who was their son.
|Sackett line||Great-grandson of Captain Richard Sackett|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, not recorded.
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Website Death Notices from the New York Evening Post, 1801–1890 (New England Historic Genealogical Society) , 4/15/1845. "Troy, Tues. Daniel Sackett in 58y Elder of Christ Church."
- Website Rensselaer County, NY, USGenWeb Project (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyrensse/), citing History of the City of Troy from the Expulsion of the Mohegan Indians to the Present, by A J Weise, 1876, "Troy's Prominent Citizens who died between 1798 and 1876"; "Sackett, Daniel, died Apr. 8, 1845 at age 58."
- Website Rensselaer County, NY, USGenWeb Project (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyrensse/), Interments in Rensselaer County, NY, "Sackett, Daniel, b. 1788, d. 1845, wife Sarah H Pardee, Nassau-Schodack Cemetery, Nassau."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 65:29, records of the Stephentown, N.Y. Presbyterian Church 1794–1825, "Sept 25, 1819, Sarah Pardee, now Sarah Sackett, requests a dismission from the church to join the Presbyterian Church in Troy, where she was about to remove. Resolved that her request be granted and she is hereby dismissed accordingly and the Moderator was directed to furnish her with proper testimonials for that purpose."
- Will of Daniel Sackett of Troy, New York, 22 November 1841 (& codicil 18 February 1845), proved, 1845 (sampubco.com, vol. 34 p. 386).
- An article on the controversy appears at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Before_Christmas
|Last Edited||31 May 2013|