Marion Gordon Sackett
|Mother||Annie Emma Sackett (1867-1942)|
In 1901 Marion was living at Denton Street, Barham, KentG, in the household of Goulder Young, 66, and his wife Anne, 66, and was recorded in the census as Marian Sackett, a nurse child, aged two months and born in Margate, Kent. Also in the household was Albert Taylor, 33, and his wife Annie, 33, who was probably the nursemaid.7
In 1911 she was living at York House, 86 Dane Road, Margate, KentG, in the household of her grandmother Elizabeth Sackett, and was recorded as Marian Gordon, aged ten and born in Bermondsey. Also in the household was Elizabeth's daughter Annie, 44, assumed to be Marian's mother.8
In 1921 she was living at 86 Dane Road, MargateG, and was recorded as Marian G Sackett, aged 20. She was described as the niece of head of household Annie Sackett, but was probably her daughter. (As far as is known, Annie had no siblings and could not therefore have had a niece.) There were two male boarders in the house, one of whom, William Burton, was Marian's future husband.9
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Marion was living at 6 Marlowe Road, MargateG, with her husband William Burton. Also in the household was Annie E Sackett, assumed to have been Marion's mother.10
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1901. Sackett, Marion Gordon. [Mother not named: assume registered in mother's surname.] Thanet. 2a:974."
- Death record.
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Jun qtr 1973. Burton, Marion Gordon, 72. Thanet. 5f:1693."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Dec qtr 1925. Sackett, Marian. Spouse: Burton. Thanet. 2a:2592."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Dec qtr 1925. Burton, William. Spouse: Sackett. Thanet. 2a:2592."
- 1901 England census
Denton Street, Barham, Kent
Goulder Young, head, married, 66, living on own means, b. Minster, Thanet
Anne Young, wife, 66, b. Margate, Thanet
Annie Taylor, visitor, married, 33, living on own means, b. Margate
Ada Young, dau, single, 20, living on own means, b. Margate
Albert Taylor, visitor, married, 33, grocer, b. Ramsgate
Reginald Taylor, visitor, 3, b. Dover
Marian Sackett, nurse child, [gender not given], 2 months, b. Margate, Kent.
- 1911 England census
York House, 86 Dane Road, Margate, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, head, 71, widow, b. Margate
Annie E Sackett, dau, 44, single, teacher of pianoforte, b. London, Bermondsey
Marian Gordon, gdau, 10, school, b. Margate.
- 1921 England census
86 Dane Road, Margate St John the Baptist, Kent
Annie E Sackett, head, 53y 4m, single, b. Bermondsey, London, lodging house keeper, own account
Marian G Sackett, niece, 20y 5m, single, b. Margate, Kent, in private service, at home
William Burton, boarder, 27y 10m, single, b. Kent, general labourer, Kent County Council
Horace Barnett, boarder, 20y 8m, single, b. Folkestone, Kent, chemist's assistant, Mr R M Holmes Chemist, 110 High Street, Margate.
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Burton household, 6 Marlowe Road, Margate M B, Kent: William Burton, b. 31 Aug 1893, married, incapacitated car driver; Marian G Burton, b. 15 Jan 1901, married, unpaid domestic duties; RG101/1756B/015/43, Annie E Sackett, b. 4 Feb 1867, widowed, unpaid domestic duties, old age pensioner; & 5 closed records.
|Sackett line||8th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||19 Nov 2022|