Stephen Sackett Chancellor
|Father||John Chancellor (c 1767-)|
|Mother||Sarah Hester Dixon (c 1768-)|
In 1826 Stephen was a baker of 70 High Street, MargateG.6
In 1841 Stephen was living at Lower Marine Terrace, St John's, MargateG, and was recorded in the census as Stephen Chancellor, a wharfinger, aged 49 and born in Kent. Living with him were his wife Mary, 50, and children, Elizabeth, 20, and Francis, aged 14. There were four other occupants including a female servant.7
In 1861 he was living at 3 Lower Marine Terrace, Margate, KentG, and was recorded as Stephen S Chancellor, clerk to Margate Pier Company, head of household, married, aged 69 and born in Margate. Living with him was his wife Mary, aged 70. Also in the household was a female domestic servant.8
Stephen left a will which was proved at Canterbury, KentG, on 13 October 1877 by his daughter Elizabeth Sarah Chancellor, the surviving executrix. The value of his estate was under £1,500.3
Children of Stephen Sackett Chancellor and Mary Elizabeth Tadhunter
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, database, FamilySearch, film 1737003, "22 Jan 1792, Stephen Sacket Chancellor s. John Chancellor & Sarah."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1877. Chancellor, Stephen Sackett. 85. Thanet. 2a:415."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Chancellor, Stephen Sackett. Effects under £1,500. 13 October . The Will of Stephen Sackett Chancellor late of Margate in the Isle of Thanet in the County of Kent who died 15 July 1877 at Margate was proved at Canterbury by Elizabeth Sarah Chancellor of 23 Marine-terrace Margate Spinster the Daughter the surviving Executor."
- Marriages Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "1 July 1815 Stephen Sackett Chancellor, bachelor, of this parish, & Mary Elizabeth Tadhunther, spinster. Witnesses: Wm Munton, Sarah Hester Chancellor, Harriet Cowle."
- Baptism, St Margaret's, Canterbury, Kent (England Births and Christenings, LDS FamilySearch), film 1736586, "13 Feb 1791, Mary Elizth Tadhunter d. Wm Tadhunter & Mary."
- Website Pigot's Directory (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1826–7. Kent. Margate. Bakers, "Chancellor Stephen Sackett, 70 High st."
- 1841 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, HO107, piece 468, book 3, folio 10, p. 13, GSU roll 306863
Lower Marine Terrace, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent
Stephen Chancellor, 49, wharfinger, b. Kent
Mary Chancellor, 50, b. Kent
Elizh Chancellor, 20, b. Kent
Fras [Francis?] Chancellor, male, 14, b. Kent
Elizh Tappenden, 17, f. svt, b. Kent
Thos Thornton, 14, painter, b. not Kent
Philln Smith, 41, male, ind, b. not Kent
Susan Deeble, 16, b. not Kent.
- 1861 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG9, piece 534, folio 81, p. 6, GSU roll 542656
No 3 Lower Marine Ter, Margate, Kent
Stephen S Chancellor, head, married, 69, clerk to Margate Pier Company, b. Kent, Margate
Mary E Chancellor, wife, 70, b. Kent, Canterbury
Lucy Hewett, serv, unm, 19, general serv, b. Kent, St Peter's, Thanet.
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Last Edited||25 Sep 2019|