Marcus J Sackett
|Father||Jehial Sackett (1825-1903)|
|Mother||Laura Sackett (c 1834-)|
Marcus's wife was a leading activist in the women's suffrage movement, much involved in the referendum in Chautauqua in 1917 which the suffragists won with a substantial majority.3
In 1880 Marcus was living in Hanover, Chautauqua County, New York StateG, in the household of his parents Jehial, a farmer, and Laura, and was recorded in the census as Marcus Sacket, a schoolboy, aged 14 and born in New York.4
In 1900 he was living in Hanover, Chautauqua CountyG, and was recorded as Marcus J Sackett, a farmer owning his own farm free of mortgage, head of household, born September 1866 in New York, aged 33, married six years. Living with him were his wife Susan, 28, and their children, Edna, 4, and Lawrence, aged three.5
In 1920 he was living at Alleghany Road, HanoverG, and was recorded as Marcus J Sackett, a farmer, head of household, aged 53, and born in New York. Living with him were his wife Susan, 48, and their daughter Edna, 24.6
Children of Marcus J Sackett and Susan M Codling
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "7559. Marcus J. Sackett, b. Sept. 21, 1865; m. Susan M. Codling."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "4372. Jehial Sackett, b. Sept. 15, 1825, d. Aug. 9, 1903; m. (4435) Laura Sackett."
- William J Doty, editor, The Historic Annals of Southwestern New York (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1940), v 2, p 541, "Women's Activities—A suffrage school was held in Jamestown and every conceivable form of legitimate entertainment resorted to in raising money to spread the propaganda, and so it was with proud and thankful hearts that the women of good, old Chautauqua marched up to the final victory in the referendum of 1917, with a majority of 3,583. To mention all all those worthy of a place in the suffrage hall of fame would be like calling the roll of most of the fine men and women of the county, and would fill a book. Among the many were such notables as: [in a list of 27 names] Mrs. Marcus Sackett."
- 1880 United States Federal Census
FHL 1254816, NA T9-0816/433B
Hanover, Chautauqua, New York
Giles Sacket, head, married, 54, b. NY, farmer, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Laura Sacket, wife, 52, b. NY, keeping house, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Isabelle Sacket, dau, 16, b. NY, at school, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Marcus Sacket, son, 14, b. NY, at school, father b. NY, mother b. NY.
- 1900 United States Federal Census
Roll T623_1014; Page: 6B; Enumeration District: 97.
Hanover, Chautauqua, New York
Sackett, Marcus J, head, b. Sep 1866, 33, m. 6 yrs, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, farmer, farm owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Susan M, wife, b. Sep 1871, 28, m. 6 yrs, 2 ch. both living, b. NY, father b. Scotland, mother b. NY
Sackett, Edna L, dau. b. Jun 1895, 4, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Lawrence C, son, b. Jul 1896, 3, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY.
- 1920 United States Federal Census
Roll T625_1091; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 142; Image: 135.
Alleghany Road, Hanover, Chautauqua, New York
Sackett, Marcus J, head, 53, married, farmer, b. New York, father b. New York, mother b. New York
Sackett, Susan, wife, 48, b. New York, father b. Scotland, mother b. New York
Sackett, Edna L, dau, 24, single, b. New York, father b. New York, mother b. New York.
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||24 Feb 2011|