Leon Abbett Sackett
|Father||William Edgar Sackett Jr (1848-1926)|
|Mother||Edith Freeman (c 1853-1895)|
In 1900 Leon was living at 111 Maryland Avenue NE, Washington, DCG, in the household of his widowed father William, and was recorded in the census as Leon A Sackett, aged 11 and born March 1889 in New York.4
Leon served as a private in Troop D of the 3rd US Cavalry for eight months from February to September 1908, enlisting at Fort Slocum, New York, and being discharged through disability at Fort Clark, Texas.5
Leon completed a World War I draft registration card on 5 June 1917. He was aged 28 and was married with one child. He was living at 1450 Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn, New York StateG, and was employed as a bookkeeper at Sing Sing Prison.2
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "8652. Leon Abbett Sackett, b. Mar. 7, 1889; m. Maria Taylor."
- "US, World War I draft registrations records 1917–1918", digital image, FamilySearch, New York, Kings. Draft Division#72 Roll#001754601.
"Serial#2437 Order#A309, Leon A Sackett, Address: 1450 Myrtle Ave Brooklyn NY, Age: 28, b. 7 Mar 1889 at East Orange NJ, married, white, native born, bookkeeper at Sing Sing Prison NY, nearest relative: wife & child (no names) Private Troop D 3rd US Cavalry for 8 mos, no exemptions, Registrant: Med Ht, Med Build, eyes blue, hair brown, not bald, crushed spine paralysis of right arm, Reg: 5 Jun 1917 at Sing Sing Prison Westchester NY."
- "New Jersey, Births and Christenings Index, 1660–1931", database, Ancestry.com, "Sacket, male, b. E O , Essex, New Jersey, 7 Mar 1888, father Wm E Sacket, mother Edith Freeman."
- 1900 Census for United States, ED 120, sheet 1A; 1 June 1900
111 Maryland Avenue NE
Sackett, William E., Head, W, M, May 1848, 52, Wd, NY, NY, NY, Official - Govt
Sackett, Edith, Dau, W, F, Dec 1880, 19, S, NY, NY, PA
Sackett, Edward Y., Son, W, M, May 1883, 17, S, NY, NY, PA
Sackett, Chester A., Son, W, M, Dec 1885, 14, S, NY, NY, PA
Sackett, Leon A., Son, W, M, Mar 1889, 11, S, NY, NY, PA
Sackett, Gladys, Dau, W, F, Sept 1892, 7, S, NY, NY, PA
Gulick, Elizabeth M Housekeeper, W, F, May 1872, 28, M, 5, 1-1, NY, NY, NY, Housekeeper.
- "US Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798–1914", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Register no 652, Sackett, Leon A, reg 4 Feb 1908, at Ft Slocum NY, by Cap Fife, for 3 yrs, b. East Orange, NJ, age 21-10, occ teamster, eyes blue, hair l bro, compexion fair, ht 5' 5¼", regt 3 Cav, co D, dis 25 Sep 1908, at Ft Clark, Texas, for disability, Pvt, very good, h & f."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||28 Oct 2020|